xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:35 am 

I came into this university with a 3.8 GPA honor's phi theta kappa honor's society student. I enrolled into physics 1 and took Chemistry 1 in another college for multiple reasons which I will not get into now. I also have a disability. So I asked my professor if I could get more time on my tests and quizzes. He informed me I needed to go to the disability center and when he gets a letter he will then be able to do accommodations. Fair enough.

I went the entire semester proving through labs, EEG reports, prescription medications, everything to prove it. It was at midterm, I informed my university physics professor that I needed more time for the next test (#3 out of 4 total for semester). I bombed tests #2 by only finishing HALF of it, which gave me a 52%. I did the same with my chemistry professor at the other college, and she gave me extra time. And I got B's and A's on the exams. He, the university physics professor, accused me of doing nothing. "Why didn't you do this at the beginning of the semester when I told you to go down there?" I explained to him everything that has been happening ("I went down immediately after you told me to filled out an application and started, I later informed you the next time I saw you that it was done and I was waiting on them to approve) which made him 'shut up.' It's taking time. And then at some point they weren't doing anything and I had to go back in there and complain as to why I hadn't heard anything from the disability center. Which got the ball rolling again. The physics professor gave me extra time on tests. But he was heavily pleaded to. I got a 81 on the next test, which pissed me off cause I busted my butt studying it. Like literally hours and hours of studying every day. Then the last test #4, I got a 92% (finally an A). By then I received the letter for student accommodations and gave it to him but he was like 'don't worry about it, i don't need it.' By this point he thought I was an idiot. I could see it in his eyes, his literal words were 'YOU'RE going to take the final??' He wanted to know who was taking the final so he could make the number of copies. (the final was optional and if you took it, it could make you loose your grade a whole letter grade (B becomes a C, C becomes a D etc...) but if you did really well it could go up by a whole letter grade. But the way he made it sound was that it was extremely difficult and had was accumulative.

I noticed that whenever I spoke to him, he avoided eye contact, his body language turned away from me, and he hesitated to say something to me. I mean I could FEEL his condescension. When I told him I was going to take physics 2, he looked like looked exasperated. At the beginning of this semester I sent him the electronic letter for the accommodations for extended times for tests and quizzes ( 50% more time). I took the first quiz online...i noticed i wasn't given extended time. I took a hard copy of the letter of accommodations, circled 'tests' and 'quizzes' with a little note as a reminder (even though i wanted to yell at him for not doing his job). 10 questions, I got to question number 6 and well...left the others blank because the quiz closed out. Of ALL the ones I did, I missed only 1, which could be counted as 'extra credit.' So....another F. but he would've dropped this as it's the lowest quiz grade. So I wanted to give him the benefit of doubt and gave him the copy of the letter under his door. I went back to disability and informed him 'I don't want him to get in trouble, I just want the accommodations.' They sent him an email to which he responded to them 'He can take the tests down in the disability center.' .... I was like...you mother f...

I told the disability case manager, It sounds like he's just trying to get rid of me. And she broke her 'professional character' and said 'yeah, it does sound that way.' and then quickly recomposed. I informed her 'I already was expecting the extended test time for the tests, and i know he knows that. It was the online QUIZZES that I'm talking about. That's included in my accommodations and should be honored.' The lady sounded like she didn't want to do anything else (which made me wonder what he had told her she wasn't telling me) and my phone was on 1% battery and I was on the freeway so..I knew she wasn't going to do anything and had to hang up quick before she thought I was being rude and hung up on her. I took quiz 2 and of course noticed that there was no extended time. I began rushing through questions which wasn't helpful, I got to question 5 again, but then just sat there burnt out from studying for it earlier and everything and gave up....i randomly started putting in numbers knowing they were wrong...just randomly typing. I almost started writing 'who cares who cares' or 'time and half not given' 'time and half not given' ...but I was polite.....i got 2 right. And I knew I was going to do horribly because I was rushing through everything. At the end of the quiz...I just sat with my hands on my head, fried, exhausted, irritated, angry, upset. My wife came over to me seeing how I was posed and lovingly provided comfort. I told her, I have to drop this class. Which is not a good idea, I have 9 Withdrawl's on my transcripts, over the course of 10 years of part time schooling. (I had to work full time). This would make it 11 (because apparently they wont let me take physics lab without theory. For some reason, some students could, I couldn't) Now keep in mind, this is the first college i've had to prove my disability and actually get accommodations. . I never had accommodations before and I wasn't really offered that service at my previous colleges and so I did the best I could. Whats the point though? When they, being legally responsible to accommodate for disability, don't even bother?

I've thought about suing. But then I remembered him 'giving me extra time last semester' even though he didn't have a letter. And it's not the first time i've been told ...well not 'told' but their body language, inflection of the voice, said 'you're stupid' ... So...i'm .....screwed. Mercy not sacrifice...etc...

I took Gen Chem 2 at the university this semster instead of the other college, and this guy is just as bad. "I have to seperate the A students from the B students.' are his famous words. He INTENTIONALLY makes the tests EXTREMELY tricky. If the book and lecture talk about A and B ...he will ask a question about C. Even though C is not mentioned anywhere in lecture OR THE BOOK I'M SUPPOSE TO PURCHASE FOR THE CLASS. And i'm like 'oh so students with disability that study for hours on ends, but have severe test anxiety that forget and need more time to think ....are not worthy of A's in your eyes. Even though they studied the heck out of it?' There's a bunch of other things he's doing, but i don't have the time to complain about it.

I mean when I was sitting in the professor's lounge at the other college for Chem 1 taking a test, I sat there listening to these teachers basically complaining about students. complaining about the smallest DETAIL. And my professor at that college for Gen Chem 1 was quiet...she didn't get involved. And because she was giving me extra time, I choose not to say anything. But...really? let me get this straight. These HORRIBLE HORRIBLE STUDENTS that want extra time (albeit it's not because of a disability) are SO HORRIBLE. ... Maybe they should go live in compton California. OR go live with the homeless for a while, and SEE EXACTLY 'bad' they have it with students that want just a little extra time.

I mean i've even POSTED on here that I was studying for Chemistry at 2-3am in the morning. One of them I admit, I got distracted and started making a list of Christ's commandments. But really? you can't define my entire studying based on ONE time.

i'M SO SICK of being in college. I started college 11 years ago. With a 3-4 year break to help my wife get her bachelors.

Augh.

Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:49 pm 

Wow Voices you sure are getting the runaround when all you want to do is learn. I can't imagine going to College as long as you have though, you are one determined man. I hope your professor will be kinder to you so You won't have to struggle so much. Having a disability makes things so much more difficult but it seems a lot of people have no empathy about things like that.

I understand because I have a mobility disability (For 9 years) and I don't get a lot of breaks because of it even though the challenges are huge.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:18 pm 

Thank you zoe. Seriously, it's frustrating. I mean take for example the other professor for Gen Chem 1 ...who didn't have any 'letter of recommendation' but out of the goodness of her heart gave me time, waited on me to finish before going home, etc...

She also professed to be a believer of Christ, though religiously. But it's ironic. I could've been a doctor by this point! i'm going to be out of school with like only 5 years to really live. "Oh enslavement, thou art a heartless b*tch!"

Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 pm 

I would venture a couple/few things, dear Voices (peace to you!):

First, College professors aren't usually the type to have a great deal of empathy when it comes to college students. Indeed, they are very "buck up, young man/lady - this is the REAL world" (although, the academic world is far, far FROM the real world)... because, by the very nature of their profession they deal with a LOT of [people who are still] "children" (and so VERY immature) who want "special treatment" (because either mummy and daddy spoiled them, mummy and daddy ignored them, or they grew up "privileged"). I cannot tell you how many times I saw this I went to university (as a 40 year-old ADULT, praise JAH!). And even in law school, I can't tell you how many of the "kids" wanted special treatment, cheated, argued with the professor ("That's not RIGHT!" - the professors would sigh and say, "Look, I don't MAKE the law; I'm only teaching you what the law IS!"). The lions share of the study body are kids coming right out of high school... with parents who didn't prepare them for the "adult" world (many send their kids OFF to college so that they can learn adulthood THERE - from their professors, resident assistants, coaches, etc. - just as many send their kids to elementary school so they can be "babysat"). Maybe try a little empathy for your professor(s)... and some will be returned. Don't count on it, though, and you won't be disappointed if that doesn't turn out to be the case.

Second, a great deal of people are still ignorant to non-physical disabilities (i.e., mental, emotional, psychological, etc.) as well as non-physically manifesting disabilities (i.e., neurological, etc.) and so are skeptics ("I only believe what I can SEE"). Since learning disabilities aren't necessarily manifested physically, they are often treated with cynicism and the patient "lazy." I have a couple of disabilities, one of which isn't readily manifest in physical form but is indeed VERY physical (diabetes - and you wouldn't believe what I have had to do to get people to BELIEVE I have it) - while the other is a neurological and so the manifestation is not physical at all, in my case. Most of you "see" it manifest here but you would never attribute it to me, and especially if you've seen me and/or know me outside of the board, perhaps even "well." But if folks were aware, it would explain quite a lot.

Thing is... while I might think I shouldn't have to reveal what my "disabilities" are, but just say they are (there)... the reality is folks cannot "relate" (well) unless they know. And they don't know unless and until you tell them. And in an employment or education setting, there are procedures one must follow in order to make such known.

For those reasons above, then, you will often have to advocate for yourself. Because few, if any, are going to do it for you. Which brings me to my third point and that is that YOU... have to grow up (I don't mean that as an offense)... and start doing the [i]adult
thing. In which light, I think your professor had the right of it here: you should have taken care of the matter at the start - gone straight to the disability center as soon as you enrolled, immediately registered your disability, asked for whatever documentation/procedure you needed so as to properly inform your professors, and then presented that to your professor(s) in the very first class at the start of the semester/quarter... if not sooner (some instructors allow you to call or email them prior to classes starting to ask questions re the syllabus, books, class location, etc.). This is when you bring these issues up, not when you're about to take exams. If you wait until just before an exam you are, in essence, "blind-siding" your professor and putting HIM/HER at risk for disciplinary action! How so? Because... what if you're lying? What if you don't have a disability... or your accommodation is denied by the Disability Center... yet, he/she gave you the extra time? How would the other students handle that if they got wind of it?

In reading it, I can totally understand your professor's reaction(s) and response(s). Sorry, but having gone to university, law school, and having to be certified as to the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as a housing administrator, I totally get him. I would have responded to you the same way, to protect MY hiney (and tenure!).

All of that aside, unless:

1. One is number 1 or maybe number 2 in his/her class; or
2. One's family/parents are alumni and major donors to a college or university

one shouldn't expect ANY kind of "easy" treatment in college/university, even if one has a disability. NOT because one isn't entitled to accommodation OF their disability - one certainly is. But what one is entitled to... and what one receives at college/university (from professors, administrators, and even fellow students) is, more often than not, NOT the same thing. Again, the expectation is that one has left mummy and daddy and become an adult. And an adult would find out what the process is... and follow the procedure... and do so as soon as possible but certainly BEFORE the last minute.

I hope that helps, truly, and I hope nothing offends. I'm not good at "nice" words, as you know. And here, I think you needed more of a dose of "reality" than nice words (from me).

Peace!

Shellamar... on her own...

P.S. Professor Gen Chem 1 could not only lose her job if what she did got out, but put the entire college as risk of a law suit, as well as risked your grade and continued enrollment. Just sayin'. It's not your college professors' jobs to accommodate you "just because." Christian or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:40 pm 

Shelby-

Couple of things:

Quote:
"immediately registered your disability, asked for whatever documentation/procedure you needed so as to properly inform your professors, and then presented that to your professor(s) in the very first class at the start of the semester/quarter... if not sooner (some instructors allow you to call or email them prior to classes starting to ask questions re the syllabus, books, class location, etc.). This is when you bring these issues up, not when you're about to take exams."

When I first went in August last year 2016, I did start the registration process for my disability. Although it started a month in of the 4 month semester. The process, I was informed would only take 2 weeks, at the most. I also MOVED from my previous location. I ended my summer classes (trig) and spent the next week or two picking up extra shifts at work to accommodate the move. Trying to work extra hours as a nurse, overnight shifts in addition to my normal. I thin I picked up 2-3 extra shifts per week on top of my "40" hours a week. And the 'adult thing' was to make sure my financial arrangement was perfectly sound from the previous job which was four hours away to my new location. Because I was not relying on mommy and daddy. So I had to work the entire time up until a week before the move (approximately 2 weeks), pack everything up in 1 week, rent uhaul, load it all up, drive 4 hours one way, and start college the next monday. It literally was nonstop packing unpacking moving, transfering rearranging, and having all of it with enough financial support to last to, not only register and pay for my upcoming (since im a nurse and dont qualify for financial aide) semester classes, take everything off the uhaul into the house, getting a storage unit, transfering things into storage, and preparing the new place so everything such as clothing, school supplies etc.. was easily accessible, but also trying to have enough money to last until i could get another job at my new location, which is four hours away.

It wasn't until the end of summer, my trig class before the move, that I spent extra time. So, working 64 or some hours a week for a 2 weeks and last week spent entirely to packing everything and moving. Up until the last 2-3 weeks before the move, I had been studying my butt off, sometimes 12 hours straight a day, for my trig class, and going to work 40 hours a week.

Why is this important? Because When I took trig, I realized that maybe i'm not a 'good test taker.' I always found myself being the last one to leave the room after a test, and almost prided myself to be that way so I can be thorough, going back to all my answers and rechecking everything. (almost taking the test twice, literally) But in trig, I realized, I didn't have time for this. I would always end up leaving 1 question empty or something. Then looking back at the previous semester, I realized that trend of rechecking was becoming less and less. But it wasn't until TRIG that I thought there might be a serious issue. I ended up with an A in Trig, without any accommodations from the professor, who repramanded the class for not studying and at the same time. I loved him. I thanked him shook his hand, and said 'it's been an honor' ...which really surprised him. (sorry stupid adderall)

when I took physics 1, (After the move and into the university) I got an 84 (B) on the first test. ...fine, But I spoke to the professor and immediatly, i mean IMMEDIATELY walked from his office and went to the disability center filled out an application. When I failed test 2 because I left half of it blank, i couldn't deny it, I needed more time. I didn't hear anything back from the disability services, I WENT BACK to them complaining nothing was happening, which started the ball again. I wrote my professor the following email:

Quote:
Dr. Gross

I almost didn't see this email. Thank you for your reply, I was concerned that perhaps you missed my email. The day I came to you, I believe it was between the first and second test, I immediately,that day, followed your directions to the SAS office and filled out an application. I informed you of this in class to let you know that it was 'in process.' I was told it could take up to a couple of weeks in order for this to go through. I later received a letter, asking for a diagnosis of my previous disability. I took my EEG report to them, and had them make copies showing clearly the results. I was informed that the receptionist would give the documents to the appropriate person. I waited for several weeks for a response and got none. I then went back to the SAS office (after test 2) and asked to speak to a specific counselor involved with my case. I spoke to a staff member who pulled the file and stated that the SAS center was unable to accept the results of my EEG because the decision making personnel did not have a medical background to interpret the report. I had brought my prescription as further proof that I had been diagnosed previously, but they were still unwilling to accept the family physician's assessment. I was told to go to the psychological/counseling center by the breezeway to fill out SAS's application requirements. At the psychological center, I was informed that I needed to go to NOVA for testing, seeing how FAU could not perform the exam. I was also told to speak to Christopher Bolden, the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, which lead me to email you this past week. He stated he would email you also about 'intermediate' accommodations, and for me to contact you as well.

I called NOVA, right after I spoke to Mr. Bolden, and was informed that I would receive a phone call from a staff member that was specifically dealing with learning disability services. I JUST got a phone call TODAY (11/08/2016), referring me to another center, because NOVA is unable to accept new clients until January. I am currently making appointments with the referred facility from NOVA.

As you can see, this has not been a quick process. However, I am doing my best to meet these requirements and keep you informed.
I understand your class schedule and thought it might be possible to have extended testing time in your 7pm class period. I would be happy to remain in your presence from one class to another to ensure the integrity of the process.

I have also engaged a physics tutor since test 1, to assist me in thoroughly understanding the course material and purchased Schaum's College physics 11th Edition textbook, to supplement your lectures.

Is there a specific office hour that I may discuss my options with you at this point?

Regards,
Me

Is that adult like enough? or Responsible enough? Was I aware that I needed this accommodation? Thus far in my career, I was able to complete 99% of the test, although, more chances recently I was becoming less and less successful with 'going through' tests it. I got a B in the class, my first B in 2.5 years, but I accepted it and that's that.

Now Lets JUMP to THIS semester. Janurary 9th. 2017

1)Did I complete the process and get the letter of accommodations? YES
2) Did I send an electronic copy to the SAME professor as I was instructed by disability center that must be done for record keeping? YES.
3) Was it before the beginning of the semester January 9th 2017? YES
4) Was everything SET on my part that I had done for the accommodations on my end? YES
5) did the professor do HIS LEGAL obligation per his employment and agreement with the University? NO
6) Was I given extended quiz time after all this? NO
7) Did I DO the adult thing and give him another copy with another note circling both tests AND quizzes to bring his attention to it? YES
8) Did I have Student accessibility Services (disability center) Also contact him, so as to go through 'appropriate channels to make sure my accommodations are MET?; YES
8)DID he give me extra time on quizzes after that, even though he had received an electronic copy, Hard copy +plus note and emphasis, and an email from SAS stating more time on quizzes? NO
9) Did this happen LAST semester? NO i'm talking about THIS semester.
10) If I, being a doctor (and he is a doctor of physics), left electronic copies, hard copies and have your company call and write you to confirm the ORDERS that I needed to be executed, and the NURSE still did NOT execute those orders which I am legally obligated to do under state law of FLORIDA, do you THINK it's my, the doctors, fault for not being 'Adult like.?'

11)Will I be SUING? No
12) why? Because he at least provided me with accommodations LAST semester, which was very loving thing to do. Perhaps because of the Assistant Dean of Student affairs email or whatever.

This whole process has, and been very fruistrating. Because the bottom line is: Even when you do the 'adult' thing, even when you go through 'appropriate channels,' even when you do everything in your power, these professors are........full of it. They don't even do their own homework something as SIMPLE as, 'read this paper about time for tests and quizzes accommodations that you're legally obligated to give to this student.'

Its' funny, we use to call it homework. Then you grow up and now it's called paperwork. Which essentially is the same thing. Something assigned to do in a certain amount of time.
And...Here is someone who has a doctorate degree that can't even do his own homework (paperwork) and thinks these students are LAZY and arn't studying.

Who is the adult? Who is the child?

Everytime I 'stand up for myself' ...to anyone, here, at home, it comes off as me yelling. And though in the past that may have been true, I realize that my words do become sharp. So please do not in anyway, and i'm sure you wont probably, take this as me yelling at you. I just emphasize it.

I've been out in the real world. I had to be responsible for rent, taxes, people relations, medical professions, life and death situations. I've seen the ugly at my job, and the good. And it's because of this, i've realized that people don't give a DAMN about you that led me to jump back into school to get a higher degree towards the end of my wife's education. Cause once you have some form of 'status' ...'degree' then people take you SERIOUSLY. If even then.

Me

p.s. I am ALSO on a regular weekly counseling sessions with the psychologist at the university, PLUS signed up to get on a weekly DBT therapy in group setting at the university.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:15 pm 

oh one more thing. The adult thing to do here, is your job, and take responsibility. I did MY job (not only professionally but academically for accommodations). Did all the responsibility on my end. Did he? Again, Just because last semester was hecktic, though i ended it with the accommodations received, does not excuse THIS semester, with everything in order. His FEELINGS about how 'he reacted' this time is IRRELVENT. DO your JOB! You're first excuse was: 1) I can't do anyhing unless I get that letter.
Whats the excuse now?

Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:37 pm 

This professor ALSO did not have a book for physics 1 or 2, but did lectures. The purchase of the textbook was purely of my own accord. I would also like to add the way my brain works is whenever I think of something like physics, chemistry, all the stress and fruistration leads to despair. And though I really liked learning this before, I absolutely DESPISE it, because of the crap these professors pull and the chemistry 2 trick questions that are not taught in books or even in lecture, so we are completely ignorant of the facts. These 'doctors' that don't do their job make it feel like I should just freaking quit, be a nurse, wait for the master's return and live in a log cabin to get away from everyone and their stupid hypocrisy. So I truly have control over my own life and its not up in the hands of someone else. But we're all hypocrites so...whatever forgive and move on. Which....is why in my opinion my right to say 'I extend mercy to you and not sue'

Can't be 'nice' just to 'spare someone's feelings' right and not speak the obvious truth? Do your job!
Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:00 pm 

Again, I did not mean to offend, dear Voices (peace to you, truly!), and my apologies if I did. I went by what you shared in your OP. I may have mistead/missed something and you would be within your rights to point it out.

Based on what you last shared, though, I am not sure the results of an EEG will suffice. Indeed, the NATURE of your disability isn't the issue. One can have an EEG result and not need any accommodation at all. Depends on what the results purport to show... and what "accommodation" is being requested.

Hence, the issue is whether your disability requires the accommodation you're requesting. If it does, your physician need only document that you "have a (unstated) disability that requires..." and then states the accommodation you need (i.e., "blank percent additional testing time").

Looking at what you've shared:

1. You don't indicate that you needed or requested additional testing time for lower level courses;

2. Which would, necessarily prompt more "investigation" and call for documentation in your case or, alternatively, skepticism that your request is legitimate;

3. But rather, looks like you're asking for accommodation for higher level classes that, if given extra time, students who don't have a disability.

If I'm in error, I apologize again. But again, I went by what you initially shared. And I will be honest with you: I would probably be skeptical, too, of a student who didn't request accommodation at a lower level but now "realizes" he needs one for higher level classes. I mean, who doesn't? Again, if given more time, a lot more of your classmates could probably ALSO complete these tests. Unfortunately, they probably don't have a disability they can call upon to get that extra time.

Again, this is me on my own, so take it FWIW.

As ALWAYS, peace to you, dear brother!

Shel, again, on her own...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 pm 

Quote:
Looking at what you've shared:

1. You don't indicate that you needed or requested additional testing time for lower level courses;

This is true.

Quote:
2. Which would, necessarily prompt more "investigation" and call for documentation in your case or, alternatively, skepticism that your request is legitimate;

Something they were completely unaware of since disabilities are not on transcripts. Ok.

Quote:
3. But rather, looks like you're asking for accommodation for higher level classes that, if given extra time, students who don't have a disability.

I also indicated that I saw a trend of my ability diminishing in hind sight when taking trig (the last class before university), which wasn't apparent to me as much before.

Quote:
If I'm in error, I apologize again. But again, I went by what you initially shared. And I will be honest with you: I would probably be skeptical, too, of a student who didn't request accommodation at a lower level but now "realizes" he needs one for higher level classes.

Ok lets take it in consideration: I'm not sure if he even KNEW i needed accommodations or not at the previous school. That wasn't even discussed. If I got the letter approved by the university, and approved by a licensed counselor/psycholgoist or whatever she is, and it was LAST semester, NOT this semester. ...why would you becarefull? It's PROOF that I DO have a disability. I just presented to you a legal document for you to uphold. skeptical or not. But...in the case of skepticism:

Is it your job to be a psychiatrist or psychologist to 'judge' whether someone seriously has a disability? or teach physics and follow your legal obligations under state law especailly when that all the information was given PRIOR to the beginning of this semester that proves a disability IS present. Which I also GAVE LAST semester saying 'Just so you know i'm not making up my disability.'

But all that .....last semester stuff... was not said to be complaing. It was a setup of the back history of it all. it's not what I am upset about. I infact stated that he GAVE me accommodations, whether because of the email from the dean of student affairs or just genuinely. And because of this I wasn't 'going to sue.' I also went up to him when I finally got this letter LAST semester and said 'I wanted to give this to you to prove I wasn't just full of crap and making this up. or incase you need it to save your job or something' ...and he said 'don't worry about it, i don't need it.' =/

This is about: why, even when you're given what you're asking for, are you not doing it THIS semester when I gave you the letter before school even BEGAN, as i'm required to at the beginning of each semester? Its no longer about last semester.

I will not budge on this. If he had a psych license or doctor's degree in psych, okay, then I'd understand the skepticism. he could've just been like 'this does not sound like...' But if you're not trained in that, and you agree to adhere to the universities guidelines upon hire...then....?

I don't know if I took offense, or just stood up for myself. I feel like I did the responsible thing, the 'adult thing,' I jumped through hoops and everything that was required, took responsibility to ensure it was done and taken care of. I didn't have anyone else do it, except me. Made phone calls to nova, went to counseling, setting up appointments with them, try to follow up with SAS, came back with it all with the letters from the psych counselor. The only thing that i did not do, was when I wrote the email to him (last semester) explaining all the things and steps I had taken, I had someone read it so it didn't come off as disrespectful and ask if they thought it was professional enough and if not what would they change.

But at the beginning of this semester...everything was already done from fall semester and in order for this one, all things were correct, letters were given again this semster, psych eval approved, accommodations approved, given 3 notices 2 letters by the school (1 before the beginning of this semester, 1 after first quiz) and 1 email from the disability center (at the same time when second letter was given). ... I ...did...everything....you asked me to....I did it ALL to PROVE to you, I am not full of crap, and I really DO need help. Because I could SEE teh condescension in your face. Where, in all this does anyone see a child that came out of mommy's daddy's house after graduation? why such skepticism, when I jumped through all the hoops did everything and it came out on the other side as: *ding ding ding*....'Yes. Disability! Accommodate!'

Now, i'm going to say this as polite as I can, and perhaps you can relate: If skepticism is the issue, why, are you (not neccessarily you shelby) skeptical when I proved and validated by licensd professional, that there really...IS need for accommodations? It's like going to the doctor give him all yoursymptoms, he tests you for diabetes and getting blood work back by the lab tech and it shows high blood sugar and high HgA1C levels and your doctor goes: nope I don't believe your diabetic. Even though the other doctor in lab said 'yes diabetic type 2.'

I know i'm being VERY lawish. I'm also saying 'i'm not going to do anything further, though legally I could.' Which is wher eI feel I am being merciful/forgiving. But I also want my story to be heard on what i've done, did, do, and to stand up for myself cause IF i don't, then i'm just leting people tell me how I should think, feel, reason etc..

i'm stumped now...i don't know what to say. you either 'get it' or don't.
Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:40 am 

Peace to you Voices!

Is it sue... or nothing? Is there anything in between those two extremes that you can do? Mediation, appeals, report to someone with more authority, another sit-down with the professor, etc? What has he not accommodated you about this semester so far? The online quizzes? Has he accommodated the tests and everything else?

I know nothing about how complaints and such get handled in uni/college, so I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Peace again!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 am 

I thought about talking to him, or going back to SAS. But given his body language, condescension, it would only just cause me personal emotional injury, and he wouldn't listen. If I got the extensions, he would grade my tests harder intentionally, probably out of spite because I got him 'in trouble.' I wasn't planning on suing, I was attempting to explain that though this is kinda 'lawish' ...'stick to your laws you make then break and expect others to do.' ("I need that paper"...then "i'll give you extra time" and then "now that I have that paper i'm still not going to give you extra time on your quizzes" mentality.) type...I was explaining that if he wants to be measured out what he measured out, I will be more than happy to meet him in court.

Cause all these professors go around using 'laws' and 'rules' and things, without any compassion or anything considering disabilities and don't give 'extensions' or anything because 'that's the real world' ...and give lectures on morality on 'what the real world is like' ...etc... That I have personally witness being done to other students as well, shelby.

Fine professor law (not you shelby)...lets go to court, cause I did everything you told me to. You want a taste of the REAL world? Cause I did EVERYTHING you asked. Stop using your BS laws to justify your inaction, not doing your job, and then BLAMING the student. But I heard the spirit say 'Be merciful' and I didn't pursue it. I suffered the two withdrawls and was fruistrated.

And then I guess when I was looking for support here, ... I had to defend myself. I do not believe I was being 'childish.' I did everything he asked. I was being catagorized into 'student' or 'child' or whatever. I see how someone might SEE It that way, but in my opinion it was not. All this was in motion..before this semester started. Everyting given and done. I was prepared etc..

Here's my truth whether anyone believes it or not: If you see a child or person struggling and working VERY hard to do something, everything they could, meeting whatever requirements you set before them, Be compassionate, not condescending. Be considerate when they're already running in the red line on the RPM. Help them, not look down on them with pride. Stop putting everyone in one category cause it might be the same situation (something not done) but different circumstances (Reason for it not done).Stop judging, and catagories such as "Childish" or "Student" or "Jew" or "Mexican" "Black." Because you don't really know everything about someone. Instead, accept them individually for what they are, regardless of social status (socailly, professionally or academically), race, or gender. You do you. Not all people who are students are slackers. Stop putting them 'in their place' because they 'don't know the real world, and its time to grow up.[as I heard one profess tell another student. I went to my professor to discuss something and the other professor's door was open and i over heard the other professor say to the young lady that.]' (this happened 2 weeks ago just incase). Because this is a prime example of how the real world...even when all is said and done in accordance with the will of that professor, is not even known by that professor. They still don't do what they set themselves up to, then use laws to talk about 'real world?'

Ok this is what I learned of the real world from this: No matter what I do, or say, they will do whatever they want and not give a damn about you (unless you kiss their ass or have beauty and breasts). And when you vent and just look for support and someone to uplift, and perhaps just say

'Dude, think of the worst thing that could ever happen to you' ....

'Lake of fire' ....

'Is this anywhere near close to that?' ....

'no.'....

'It's all good brother, keep the faith... perservere. I hear/love ya.'

instead I did feel a little like ...'uh...what? really?'

And finally and perhaps the most important: When they finish everything you ever required from them, don't walk away and not hold up your end of the bargon. Especailly if, and i say if because I don't necessarily agree, somehow I was being childish, but now 'grew up' and did everything in advance before the semester began.
Because what kind of feedback are you giving to that person? Is it going to help them reinforce that 'good habit?' ...or are you gonna give the 'negative feed back' ..and not...hold up your end? you really think that's helping that person 'out in the real world?' What does that say about you, professor, and what you're contributing to 'the real world?' How much despair do you think that person is going to feel?

Cause the next time I hear a professor say to another student to 'grow up' or they're 'in the real world now'...God I hope I have the strength and speak up. I will not let this guy BS a student. He'll know what the real world is like, because this experience was very real. He will be reminded that even if when people do everything that's required, in the real world, there are certain professors, especially those that use 'the real world' law, that don't follow through with their word. So stop lying to the young lady and give her a one time extension on the damn paper (you know that whole 'be merciful thing' Mr. Moral-teacher::::again not you shelby. Referring to Professor I heard in the doorway::::) with the condition that if its late again, it wont be accepted.

What does this all make me wonder? "Why are university professors so full of it?"

I feel like a chump. I lost money, hurt my transcript, and all this is now effecting the way I study for my Chemistry, because it feels so despairing. Like.... 'I'm not going to pass. I spent so much time studying and busting my ass last semester, I can't do it again. That feeling of studying for HOURS and and days and getting an F...tricky professors... ' coming from a Private Nursing College Graduate, and 3.8GPA...(don't under-estimate nursing school either)

Quizzes count for 15% of my total grade in the class. I had not had my first test yet. But even if I got 100% on all tests and homework, I would still be at the very best 85%. And its very unlikely I would get 100 on each test. Hence, I dropped the class.

whatever, i'm done for the day. ...This is my..uh..more emotoinal side *waves* hello nice to meet (SCREW YOU!jk).. I have my good and bad days. And sometimes it's just as important to be heard and let it all out and move on.

This...is why I need to joke around. .....pickles and fluffiness.

Me
p.s. this post was repeatedly edited to ensure that I presented it in a mild tone and not be disrespectful towards anyone but still try to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:12 am 

P.s. Shelby I love you. You are my sister in Christ. Thank you for being part of my life.

You too Zoe and tec...

And..*yawn *.well..i--------Zzzzzzzzzzzz*snore*zzzzzzzzzzzzzz *mumbles** wh...i...the..zzzzz. pickles....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:04 am 

Dear, dear V... again, peace go you, luv, and... again... this is me "on my own." YOU... are forgetting "who's" world you are existing in right now. So, I say to you, AGAIN... grow up, luv. Now, I get that you might not understand me saying that but it's exactly what I would say to my own children... and you know you are (also) in that category (I've known you since you were, what, 18-19? And you are the same age as my son? So...). I stated that very few are going to help you, yes? I wasn't lying to you.

And so, if you can't understand why I said "grow up," EVEN though I shared "why" most professors are the way they are... how many have no clue as to ADA/disabilities (that are not physically manifest), AND why I would also be a bit skeptical, given your "timing,"... then perhaps you can understand when I say, "Don't be SO much of a 'snowflake,' luv". (Wink)

Sorry, but that's me... of a different generation ("Baby Boomer" vs. "Millenial").

I hope you "hear" me NOW - LOLOL!

As always, peace to you!

Shel... on her own...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:20 pm 

Ok ..I'll think it over

Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:02 pm 

Love you, too - LOLOLOL!

And peace to you, of course!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shel