xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: "Altitude Sickness"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:13 am 

Anyone here ever suffered from it (peace to you, all!)? I have recently learned that I am susceptible to it, perhaps even severely.

If some of you recall, I had a hard time recovering after my trip (with dear 'Mom - peace, luv!) to Ethiopia. Then, we took a plane that topped 33,000 miles in the sky... to a city (Addis Ababa) that is at 7,726 ft (I live at 43 ft)... and from there to a village at 6,991 ft... back to 7,726 ft... then the 33,000 plane, again... to around 300-400 ft (Wash. DC)... to back home (43 ft). All in about a week. Maybe less, I can't remember just now. No, I think it was JUST a week.

At that time it took me almost 2 weeks to "recover" and feel anything like myself again. And if you recall, we thought it was the malaria pills (and perhaps some of it was). But I was on my butt for a bit. NO energy to do NUTHIN. Well, not much.

I also experienced a similar kind of "sickness"... extreme fatigue... whenever I would visit dear 'Mom and FC where THEY lived (3,500 ft). I would get there and need to rest - felt completely wiped out - the first day or so. On occasion, more. And worse when I got back home (to Sacramento, at 30ft).

Well, I say this to say... I've literally been on my couch since returning from our vacation to the Grand Canyon. On THIS trip we went, in less than 24 hours... from our 43 ft... to the South Rim... at an avg. 7,000 ft... then to the North Rim (where we camped)... at close to 9,000 ft... then down to Tucson (at 2,389 ft)... then to San Diego (1,593)... then back home (to 43 ft)... in a little over a week.

Dear hubby took about a week to "recover"... but had to take naps every day for that week. The pups took about 4 days to stop sleeping (more than usual). Me? I can't even explain it: up until yesterday, I could barely breath... and had NO energy beyond, say, 10-20 minute intervals maybe once or twice a day!!! I feel a bit "better" today, but still don't have my usual strength.

I could NOT figure out what was "WRONG" with me... until my dear Lord said:

"Well, look where you've BEEN, child! Do you not remember how you felt after visiting the land of Cush? And how long it took you THEN?"

I thought, "Wait, wha? Ohhhhhh!" and immediately looked up "Grand Canyon Sickness." And lo and behold, I came across a plethora of web info about "altitude sickness"... which explains a LOT of things for me!! I have upped my vitamins and will ask as to upping my "water."

But just curious - has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts?

Peace to you, all!

A slave of Christ,

Shellamar

Post subject: Re: "Altitude Sickness"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:27 am 

Uh-oh... maybe that's where those vericose veins above my right knee came from? They weren't there before I went on vacation. Although, I did ride quite a ways in the back of an SUV. I had lots of pillows and it was quite cushy... and I could stretch... and we stopped often (for the pups), though, so...

Sigh. The vessel of flesh. The sucker WILL betray you... at every opportunity...

Peace!

Shellamar, who doesn't have a problem with vericose veins; just thought it interesting they've appeared since the trip, in light of this new understanding...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:42 am 

Quote:
Then, we took a plane that topped 33,000 miles in the sky..

lol! Hope you had your space suit on. LOL!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:48 am 

Oh, shoot, I meant FEET, dear At (peace, luv!) - LOLOLOL! GREAT catch and THANK you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:53 am 

As some of you can probably guess, my current "couch" time is the reason for SOME of all this posting... LOLOLOL!

Peace!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:23 pm 

AGuest wrote:
As some of you can probably guess, my current "couch" time is the reason for SOME of all this posting... LOLOLOL!

Peace!

And I would say that despite the fatigue, your amazing still. Enjoying the posting sis...
Glad your feeling better. All those trips were in such short time spans. Too high, too low, TOO fast!
I completely understand! Rest up, elevate the leg though for a minute.

Peace and love to you and your household, Kim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:35 pm 

Yeah gurl, you're not alone, I've known of several folks got if when visiting Colorado area, remember a CO got it while either there or Arizona, I"msure you've noticed but when you buy a box of cake mix or the like there area always rules for folks who live in that area, so there definitely is something to that if you can't even bake a dang cake like other folks in the U.S.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:53 pm 

Okaaaay, dear Miz Shirley-Girl (peace, luv!)?? I was about to say, "What, NO ONE has heard of this?" but I couldn't... 'cause I hadn't heard of it, myself (LOLOLOL!). Well, not as an actual sickness!

I should's know'd I have it kinda bad, tho', 'cuz (1) I had a nosebleed my first day of work at my first job in NYC way back when, which was on the 35th floor of a East side high-rise - had to spend the entire morning in the lobby!... and (2) we almost left Axum late... because I couldn't get a nosebleed to stop then, either!

Y'think I'd'a put 2 and 2 together long before NOW - LOLOLOL! S'why I need my dear Lord to tell ME stuff - not much more than cotton ticking between MY ears! Fluffy CLEAN ticking NOW... but cotton, nonetheless...

Peace, girl!

Miz Shebbie... by huh ownsef' but duckin' down quicklike whilst surchin' d' sky fo' summa dos' "flyin' thangs," da' kin' wut'a has'n avershun t' da wurd "gurl"l... cuz ya'll nevah no's wut awl myte all up in heah fum tyme t'tyme - LOLOLOLOL!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:19 pm 

Yes, altitude sickness is for real. I have had it (more than once). The most common form is "acute mountain sickness" which has symptoms of headache, nausea, fatigue, and difficulty sleeping. It's very unpleasant; for me it's like a migraine (less the light and sound sensitivity). But it's generally not life threatening. Getting to a lower altitude and rest generally takes care of it. You can usually avoid it by limiting physical activity until you get acclimated to altitude, and moving up in smaller steps instead of all in one day (about 1500 feet or 500 meters per day). Thus your Addis Abbaba trip would be about 4 days of adaptation (jet lag for crossing that many time zones in a day is another issue, compounding the altitude stress). That's why it's often a problem when you fly from sea level to high areas--all the change happens at once, before your body has adapted and you have learned your personal high-altitude limits.

You aren't as likely to get altitude sickness on a plane, because the cabin is pressurized to no more than 8,000 feet and you are mostly sitting, not doing anything strenuous that would demand more oxygen than your body can process at that altitude. New planes like the A380, 787 and (forthcoming) A350 are pressurized to 6,000 feet, lower than Addis Abbaba (they'll have to depressurize before opening the door). The trouble begins when you get off the plane, and start moving around in the high altitude area (and hauling around luggage, dealing with stairs, etc.).

Personal observation: I have experienced altitude sickness when hiking, but never while skiing. I think that's because while skiing there is relatively little time spent at the top, because skiing is less aerobically demanding than hiking, and because of the frequent rest periods waiting in the lift line (the lowest point of the ski run) and while sitting on the ski lift. The popular "high speed quad lifts" can be a mixed blessing for visitors from sea level: faster service means more runs per day, but also less rest time between runs: thus, a better chance to experience the woes of mountain sickness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:23 am 

Quote:
That's why it's often a problem when you fly from sea level to high areas--all the change happens at once, before your body has adapted and you have learned your personal high-altitude limits.

Or drive, dear GL (peace to you... and thank you for that information!)? As you state, in a cabin the air is pressurized, so the trip to/from Ethiopia not as bad. I think it was the quick "ascent/descent" OUTSIDE the plane... from close to sea level to over 7,000 feet... then down again in about a week... that did me in on that trip. I was on the sofa close to 2 weeks. Again, we thought it was the malaria pills (and that could have contributed, but I'm not so sure, now).

On that trip the "sickness" started our last day (the 5th-6th day, I can't remember) when my nosebleeds started. I remember telling dear 'Mom... warning her actually (because I don't "do" cold, great fatigue or hunger, or low blood glucose "well", sorry)... that I felt "REALLY tired (wink at dear 'Mom - peace to you, luv! LOLOLOL!).

On this trip we drove the entire time... so no pressurization at all, at any point. Just quick (very) up... then quick (very) back down. The "sickness" came on me on the last leg, driving from San Diego to Oakland. I started feeling REALLY tired, then VERY claustrophopic and nauseated.

Once home, I had a lot to do (unpacking, washing, caring for pups, etc.) and so about 3 days back... I fell out. Literally. Was on the sofa until about 4 days ago. I did go to the doctor (to get checked for RA, something I was told I had "mildly" about 20 years ago) and my blood tests revealed I was very low on biotin and completely deleted of zinc. So, I pulled myself together, ran out and got both... took a triple dose of both... and felt TOTALLY better the next day. And have felt GREAT ('myself') since.

Of course, these trips wouldn't deplete my zinc (other things have done that)... but I think the depleted zinc COUPLED with the "altitude sickness" is what knocked me SO down.

SO... ya'll take care of yourselves out there. If you're traveling, maybe looking into the PHYSICAL effects of where you're going, ALONG with the routes, hotels, amenities, expense... LOLOLOL!... would be a good thing! I know I'll take such things into mind on MY next trip (to a high altitude, at least!).

Peace to you ALL!

Shellamar, on her own...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:53 am 

I remember how long it took you to recover on that trip to Ethiopia.

We are sitting at about 2200 feet in Edmonton, but Grande Prairie, where I first moved, is about 3100 feet. I remember being warned after moving there that i would probably get headaches for a while, until my body adjusts. Since so many move there from much lower altitudes, it is pretty common. I forgot about that until after I read your post here.

I am getting worse with motion sickness. I can't even ride an elevator anymore without feeling a bit sick until we get off.

Quote:
(because I don't "do" cold, great fatigue or hunger, or low blood glucose "well", sorry)

I have come to realize that I am definitely a 'cold' person over a 'hot' person. Autumn is nice (we don't get much of a spring here). But this summer? This is the LAST summer I go without air conditioning of some sort. I think my son got some heat exhaustion, just from being in our hot hot house. And I just cannot think when it is hot. I am useless. Sitting around, can't think, can't move much, can't cook (no great loss for me, mind you, lol). At least my work is air conditioned.

I don't know how some of you DO this kind of heat (28-40 with the humidity) on a regular basis; although I guess the body would acclimate. But mine is acclimated for the winter! (just not for the snow shoveling)

Peace to you,
your sister and servant, and fellow slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:03 am 

I grew up in San Diego (avg. 74 year round) and raised my kids in Sacramento (avg. 60-70 winter; 85-105 summer), dear tec (peace, luv!). Although I was born in, spent my early years, and have since lived a couple/few years "back east" and so have been in snow/cold weather, my body is acclimated to warm/hot weather. My "ideal" temp settings are 72-78. I can take above (up to 100's, actually), but once you dip below, say, 68... I'm pretty useless. My body just doesn't WORK. Dear hubby and I are actually contemplating where we might go once he retires, as I'm not sure how many more years I can take living in the damp coolness of the SF Bay Area. But that's due to pain, not fatigue. I just don't want to have to go on pain meds (as I'm sure no one does), as they make me really nauseated/groggy/even more fatigued. Except the narcotics, of course... and I just don't want to (have to) go there, if I can avoid it.

So, I will leave it up to JAH and Christ, of course, as they know me... and my vessel... and have always allowed me to be where I can (relatively) handle things, so...

I do NOT know how you dear ones "do" cold. I truly don't. My fingers and toes ache just THINKING about cold... and often when you dear ones are relating the weather where you are. I shudder... and hurry through reading the details - LOLOLOL! That's why I rarely comment on those - LOLOL!

Peace!

Shellamar, on her own...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:03 pm 

I have come to realize that I am definitely a 'cold' person over a 'hot' person. Autumn is nice (we don't get much of a spring here). But this summer? This is the LAST summer I go without air conditioning of some sort. I think my son got some heat exhaustion, just from being in our hot hot house. And I just cannot think when it is hot. I am useless. Sitting around, can't think, can't move much, can't cook (no great loss for me, mind you, lol). At least my work is air conditioned.

Dear Tammy, peace my sister,

Part of it could contribute to getting just a little older LOLOLOL...

I am at a point in my life where I need dry heat over moist as my body aches too much in the moist cold. I cannot do cold and snow. One reason for the move two years ago. But I used to love the heat. But with hot flashes now, NO GO!!!! Can't take it too hot. No energy, can't think straight LOL!...
I try not to wine LOL very much so there ya go, I got it all out in one day, LOL!

This South Bay Area living seems to be the best thing so far , yaaayyyy......

Love and peace to you all, your sister n CHRIST, Kim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:45 pm 

Quote:
The "sickness" came on me on the last leg, driving from San Diego to Oakland.

Hey, you could blame that one on the Grapevine pass if you wanted to. Or I-5 traffic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:20 pm 

LOLOLOL! Yeah, that is a little bit of a climb, dear GL (peace to you!).

To be truthful, though, just getting from, say, Carmel (yep, that far south!) through LA, to the start of the Los Angeles National Forest (through which the Grapevine threads)... could'a been part of the problem. 'Cause THAT was a MAJOR traffic nightmare.

Wait, no... now that I think of it, we had the fortunate benefit of the HOV lane! So, we skimmed by quite a bit of traffic (although not all). Even so, if anything would'a made me nauseous that was NOT altitude related, the San Diego to LA traffic would'a been it!

And it was even worse going in the OPPOSITE direction! We were, like, OY VEY, those POOR folks!

Almost unimaginable. I mean, if I hadn't see it for myself... I don't think folks on the other side got up to more than 30mph the entire route. We barely made 50-60 on OUR side... IN the HOV lane!

Incredee-blay! LOLOLOL!

Peace!

Shellamar, on her own...