xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:03 pm 

The antigravity flying was just all wrong :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 pm 

Well, I dropped my physics class in high school... so it worked for me ; )

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm 

I have to always look at these films (superheroes) from the perspective of pure entertainment (and "fun"), as they ALL contain significant amounts of metaphor somehow relating to Christ. I consider "Superman" the "hero" of America and (primarily) atheists... and both are okay. Again, he/they/it is purely fun. "He" can "do" many things most humans WISH they could do, so I "get" the need and desire to him/"heroes" like him.

It's ALL fantasy and fantasy rarely makes sense in any real physical way. But fantasy is FUN... and so I guess if I can imagine a being that can move faster than a speeding bullet, leap tall buildings in a single bound... and take an arse-whooping like this guy could... then, heck, yeah, he'd BETTER be able to fly... and HIGH!

Else, he's not REALLY all the "super", is he?

Ask anyone what "superpower" they would like to have MOST? I am sure being able to fly would be in the top 3, if not number one.

So just go with the flow, dear Pup (peace, luv!)... just go with flow. He's not FROM our world, so NONE of the "laws" of our world would apply... nor should we expect any to. 'Cause then, he WOULD be human... yes?

Peace!

Shellama, on her own... and 'bout to pierce the Puppy with HER laser-beaming eyes if he don't stop hiking his little leg all over a pretty good movie, given the premise of the protangonist...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:12 pm 

What if our "physics" don't apply?

Just askin'...

Peace!

Shellama... on her own...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:20 pm 

Quote:
I have to always look at these films (superheroes) from the perspective of pure entertainment (and "fun"), as they ALL contain significant amounts of metaphor somehow relating to Christ.

Lol... interesting little thing that caught my 'ear' in the movie were the names of Superman and his father. Jor-El, and Cal-El. That is not very metaphorical, but it does make me wonder about the man who created and named them.

(also there is a scene at the beginning that was awesome, and made me think of stories people tell about angels saving them and such)

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:43 pm 

Oh, there was a WHOLE lot of metaphor going on in this one, dear tec (peace, luv!). Whole lot. Let's give folks time to see it and then we can compare notes (although, maybe now some are gonna look for 'em - sorry, chikkens!).

Peace!

Shellama, on her own...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:44 pm 

Okay. I think I'm going to go back and warn others of spoilers too, lol.

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:46 pm 

Kryptonians couldn't fly in Krypton ;P they had vehicles and four winged dragondogbat things ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:56 pm 

Quote:
Kryptonians couldn't fly in Krypton

Yeah, but apparently they didn't have laser eyebeam capabilities either, dear Pup (peace... and wassUUuup! you scroundelly hound!). Else we'd have seen an entirely different coup attempt yes?

I'm pendantic about movies, too, though, so I "feel" you. Just didn't want to "ruin" it for others. Trust me... I could'a - LOLOLOL!

Peace!

Shellama, on her own... scratchin' the Pup between the ears...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:28 am 

Remember that the originators of Superman were Jewish and the original Superman was more "Moses" than "Christ".
That said, over the years there was a change from "deliverer" to "savior by example".
Superman became a "metaphor" for God/Christ in the sense of a being that COULD fix all our problems ( most) but doesn't because he KNOWS that would cause even more problems.
A fine example of this is the Kingdom Come story.

As for His powers: Its all in good fun !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 am 

Quote:
the original Superman was more "Moses" than "Christ".

Yeah, but that was before most's time, dear one (peace to you!), and well before the movies, so I was going from that point. But, yep, deliverer to savior... as "christianity" became more acceptable (or, at least, not so anti-semetic) in our western world.

Thanks for the reminder (I LOVE true history!)!

Peace!

Shellama, on her own...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:46 am 

There is a passage in the Superman mythos, Earth One I think, where USperman explains why he hasn't "fixed the world's problems", he hadn't even appeared until an invading force came as a matter of fact.
He said that IF he had interfered where humans CAN and SHOULD have fixed their problems, then humans would never RISE to the occasion.

Much "messianic" wisdom there...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:03 pm 

Yes! LOTS of messianic metaphors, dear one (peace!). And necessary, sometimes. Because some won't "get it", the responsibility of HUMANS... given in connection to CHRIST. Because the religions that claim to be "responsible" for TEACHING folks about Christ tend to teach more of JUDGING others (as a form of manifesting Christ)... than helping/caring for others. Indeed, many non-christian folks lead, where many "christians" fall short.

So, I get that Superman is a kind of benign depiction of the "good" of Christ (and perhaps the Law, if we're looking at the "Moses" depiction). I just like to separate the "fantasy" FROM that part... because then I can accept the things that aren't/can't be true in OUR world while still enjoying the "ride."

See? LOLOLOL!

Peace, dear one!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellama, on her own...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:56 pm 

So I finally rented after not seeing it in the movies ( silly me)....
" Les Miserables. ....

Now I have not been overly impressed with movies this year. They are good, yes but not awesome IMHO. You know the movie entrance, popcorn, drinks...$ 35-40!

Well, I just spent $1.20 and saw the best movie of the year from my point of view.
It was awesome. Hugh Jackman was phenomenal!

Just wanted to share. Should have spent the $35 on THIS ONE! g:) /:) :D

Justmom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:41 pm 

Told'ya, dear 'Mom (LOLOLOLOL!). I know you and so still wonderin' what took you so long to see THAT one! Phenomenal, yes? Did you cry when Portman sang "I Dreamed A Dream"?? Nevermind - I know the answer - LOLOLOL! Did the fam' see/like it?

Peace, chile'!

Shellama, who says you might like "Identity Theft", too... 'cause I know yer sense of humor, too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next