xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:35 am 

Hello friends!

You might know me and my story from JWN, served all through the ranks of the Organisation before stepping down sometime last year. Time has flown by, and my dear wife and I celebrated our 1st Apostaversary this past Saturday the 13th of April.

I am, I think, a rationalist. I tend toward agnosticism. I wouldn't say I'm committed to any one point of view, but I always try and look at things through a filter of reason, thinking, and logic. Of course, years of life as a JW don't set you up well for that so I'm still stumbling around. I like to ask questions in order to learn more. I love learning and read voraciously.

Some of you will already be familiar with me and my Diary. If you think there might be a place for it here, please let me know and I will be happy to update it here.

Looking forward to getting to know you all, and get reacquainted with some familiar names that I see here.

Take care!

WS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 am 

Welcome Winston!

Happy to have you here! You can certainly read and ask all the questions that you want with us. And you could probably put your Diary under Personal Experience and Testimony; or under Just for Fun; or if you don't want just anyone reading it, you could put it under Member Discussion. You choose.

Peace to you,

tammy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 am 

Hi Winston! Nice to see you here!

All shades of opinion and belief seem to be here...well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, maybe not all, but we have firmly-declared atheists and at least one firm Roman Catholic. (Me!)

It seems to work, and I for one will be delighted to see your diary here! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:05 am 

Hello Winston and welcome to the forum!

Loz x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 am 

Good morning Winston and...
Welcome!!! And welcome to your wife as well. So glad you were able to leave the WTBS together. So many stories of ones that continue fighting to stay in because of spouses and loved ones.
We all ask questions, share from our experiences in the organization, and invite ANY to do the same.
We're here for each other and everyone is very kind here.

Love
Justmom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:37 pm 

Welcome, dear WS (peace to you!), and by all means, please do share what you wish to. I look forward to reading it. Again, welcome (to you and dear wife, should she join us, as well!) and peace to you, both!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:44 pm 

Hello everyone,

Nice to hear from you all, and thank you for the warm welcome. I see some very familiar names here, ones I haven't seen for a while, so it will be good to get to know you all again.

It has been an interesting 12 months since Mrs Smith joined me on this journey. We are happier than ever before and read the bible with an entirely different view now. We are, as I mentioned still working out 'what we are' but I guess, after more then 25 years of indoctrination, it can be hard to know where to begin. Whatever and wherever we end up, I'm just happy to not feel guilty about learning more. I never would have read a book like The God Delusion before, yet I have now, and found it interesting. Likewise, books such as Jesus for the Non-Religious and Prometheus Rising have been good reads. I never would have looked at books like this before, but am thoroughly enjoying broadening my view.

Is this freedom?

You know what, it just might be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:18 am 

Every now and again Winston the same feelings assail me, i.e. I am free! It's such a great relief. After years of such strict indoctrination as to what to believe, to think, to feel, to do, I love the idea that these choices once more rightfully belong to me.

Since leaving I've gained an Honours degree and am just finishing a post graduate course. It's brought me so much joy to learn about things I always yearned to know. I am so glad that you and Mrs Smith are beginning to enjoy your journey in freedom too.

Loz x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:02 am 

Welcome.

In your journey I have only one bit of advice:
Whatever you read on the "con" side, if you are really of the mind to know the truth and are a "critical thinker", be sure to read the counter on the Pro side.
It has been my experience that people escaping from a cult or very regimented religion, tend to look for things to confirm their doubts, rather than to find the "truth".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:32 am 

Quote:
escaping from a cult or very regimented religion, tend to look for things to confirm their doubts, rather than to find the "truth".

EXCELLENT observation, dear P (good morning and peace to you!)! So often true!

Peace!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:43 pm 

AGuest wrote:
Quote:
escaping from a cult or very regimented religion, tend to look for things to confirm their doubts, rather than to find the "truth".

EXCELLENT observation, dear P (good morning and peace to you!)! So often true!

Peace!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellama

YES ......

Great advice dear Paul
Love justmom ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:17 am 

Absolutely. Confirmation bias is a strong thing, and it afflicts both sides of any argument.

This is a journey I'm happy to be on, wherever it may take me.