xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

ANNEB SAID

Hello!

Do you remember a disabled JW "brother" who used to sit on a low stool with his one leg stretched straight out in front of him (I don't think he could bend that knee), offering WT and Awake! on the corner of Prospect and Ontario back in the 60's? He used to cry out slogans in a voice like a hot dog vendor would use at a stadium; it was almost impossible to understand his words! Back then I didn't have a clue about JW's and I was afraid to look at him or take his magazines. I'm sure that guy is long dead, but I still remember him and his faithfulness; he was on that corner rain, sleet, or snow, for years. I feel bad now for ignoring him, I hope it didn't hurt his feelings or cause him discouragement. The human (humane, maybe even!) thing to do would have been to acknowledge him!

Fear does strange things to people.

Anyhow, hello from a former Clevelander, and welcome to this board.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

SAB SAID

Hi James, glad to have you here!

-Sab

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

JAMES BROWN SAID

Hello!

Do you remember a disabled JW "brother" who used to sit on a low stool with his one leg stretched straight out in front of him (I don't think he could bend that knee), offering WT and Awake! on the corner of Prospect and Ontario back in the 60's? He used to cry out slogans in a voice like a hot dog vendor would use at a stadium; it was almost impossible to understand his words! Back then I didn't have a clue about JW's and I was afraid to look at him or take his magazines. I'm sure that guy is long dead, but I still remember him and his faithfulness; he was on that corner rain, sleet, or snow, for years. I feel bad now for ignoring him, I hope it didn't hurt his feelings or cause him discouragement. The human (humane, maybe even!) thing to do would have been to acknowledge him!

Fear does strange things to people.

That sounds familiar, you are jogging my memory, in the 60's I was between 8 and 17 years old. I was probably down to Prospect and Ontario maybe 5 times in that period. I do remember various ones pedaling watcthowers. I also remeber a blind man who would play the accordian, he had nothing to do with the JW's but he was looking for contributions to survive. I grew up I Parma, then 7-Hills. I was born in Brooklyn, Cleveland and moved to Parma at about 4 years old. We went to the Brooklyn congregation, then the Parma Ridge congregation, then the Broadview Hts, Brecksville congregation. I helped build the Broadvied Brecksville Bulding.

Hello Sab

Site Admin

LOZ SAID

Hello James, glad you're here.

Loz x

Site Admin

CRIMINY SAID

I'm slow to tune in sometimes.

Howdy James! Welcome.