xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:40 pm 

I hope there are more tributes throughout the night on the conf calls.

I've given it some thought and hope I did not focus too much on anything negative in regards to Doug. Simply, may he rest in sweet peace. He will be sorely missed.

Sincerely, ~skally~

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:15 am 

It is very different to discuss with your few friends and to discuss only with members. JWN is the other side of the same coin. They ban people who disagree with them and thus block them from the members section, much like the WT disfellowships those who disagree with them and shuns them.
-
I wonder where will be the memory of Farkel and others, like us, 100 years later, when the WT will be no more or be transformed to something that has nothing in common with today's organization. Our discussions will be forgoten as much as the WT itself, as much as the 12 Olympian Gods and their religion, or Baal worship with human sacrifices in Greece prior to them. No legends by then.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:38 am 

Maybe, dear ANOMOS (peace, luv!)... and maybe not. I'm going with the maybe not.

Peace to you!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:50 pm 

Well, I never heard anything else from dear Doug's daughter (peace to you, all!). Without going into detail I will just that I am not surprised. I can understand that the family might just wish to move on. It is sad, but understandable. Of course, I could be wrong. so if anyone else knows something/has something to share, I'm sure there are those who would appreciate it, including me.

Peace to you, all!

A slave of Christ, who lost a good friend,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:44 pm 

Hi - I have joined just for this one point so I could leave a few respectful comments regarding Doug's passing. I hope that is ok. I know, it's two years ago, but for what it's worth:

I met and knew Doug in San Diego around 1999-2002. He introduced me to interesting folks and I remember doing some work once in conjunction with one of these intros. We also discussed classical music and his computer capabilities and experiences and business and some philosophy and religion.

Someone wrote in this thread that he was a fine classical pianist and indeed I think he was. Somehow early on we got on the topic of a Schubert Impromptu (there are probably some that are relatively easy to play at a basic level, but to me this wasn't one of them... I think maybe Op. 90 No. 3, but I am not sure) and I think I lent him some of the sheet music and he came back within days with a cassette recording of him playing it at a very high level. I wouldn't say that I am much of a player and not an expert judge, but he seemed really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_z9oSn-eIM
Schubert: Impromptu in G flat Op. 90 No. 3

I left SD but kept in touch with him a bit, every few years, and I think he went through a time living in Utah and at some point in California. I think economically he didn't have a lot of money and spent time honorably working some fairly desultory jobs to make ends meet, and it was a downer knowing that he was struggling in some ways, but his voice was generally strong with the intellectual enthusiasm I remember. I'd say he contributed to my thinking in some ways and is missed.

In retrospect, one possibly unifying theme is that even though we did not come from the same backgrounds nor have the same views on some important matters, in my mind (and perhaps not even accurately... I apologize if this is mis-portraying what Doug thought or did... I can almost already hear him pointing out where I have inadvertently not got something straight) I think there was some common ground for Doug, myself and others, in the struggle to think for oneself, to assert one's right to do this, to live in a way that seems best.... not necessarily to reject family or ideas and offers of advice or community from others, but in the end to take responsibility for the reality of guiding one's own ship, and making a living, and doing what one can.

Perhaps most or all of us have to struggle with drawing boundaries between what we truly independently come to think and believe (if we get that far) and how we want to live, and then and what our communities and friends and families believe and how they think it is best for themselves and perhaps others to live. Anyway, these are my own words and I wouldn't presume to speak for Doug and I'm not quite sure what he'd say on my point as to a basic unifying theme. I am sorry that he's gone, and thanks for the opportunity to write down some thoughts in this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:13 pm 

PS:

Can anyone direct me to a link or two, (accessible to the general public though that may not be possible), that would show me a bit more of what Doug wrote on the internet? I am not really familiar with his handles or discussion boards, other than that I know he tended to go by Farkel. I guess just mulling it over, serious online discussion may be another thing we had in common.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:37 pm 

Quote:
Hi - I have joined just for this one point so I could leave a few respectful comments regarding Doug's passing. I hope that is ok.

Peace to you, jlsoaz. Yes, of course that is okay. You may comment as much or as little as you like, and if this is the only place you wish to comment, you are welcome to do so.

Others here knew Doug very well. I did not. But I thought posting that song - a song which you heard him play - was a lovely gift and addition to add to this thread. Listening to it, I can picture him playing it. I imagine for those who did know and love him, that will be of even more worth. It is a beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing as you have shared.

Peace again to you and to your loved ones,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:45 pm 

tec wrote:
Quote:
Hi - I have joined just for this one point so I could leave a few respectful comments regarding Doug's passing. I hope that is ok.

Peace to you, jlsoaz. Yes, of course that is okay. You may comment as much or as little as you like, and if this is the only place you wish to comment, you are welcome to do so.

Others here knew Doug very well. I did not. But I thought posting that song - a song which you heard him play - was a lovely gift and addition to add to this thread. Listening to it, I can picture him playing it. I imagine for those who did know and love him, that will be of even more worth. It is a beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing as you have shared.

Peace again to you and to your loved ones,
tammy

Hi - thanks for the prompt response.

One "arghh!" from me - I think I may have gotten wrong exactly which impromptu it was. I guess I'm getting a bit older myself. I'll try to go back and edit the original post.... no the editing time seems to be up. I think it may instead have been this one, Op. 90 No. 4. Even then, I'm not sure, am not by my music to see which part of the binder Doug might have cracked and I didn't have the patience to go through and listen to all of the impromptus from the other Opus(es) to see what I might have missed. In my memory, I seem to recall it being one that had this strong right-hand pattern that would have been difficult to master on short notice the way that Doug had pulled off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZm3JbzFzrQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:54 pm 

I'm sure its fine about the song. We still get the sense of his playing, certainly those of us who never heard him play to begin with.

Peace again to you and yours,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:20 pm 

tec wrote:
I'm sure its fine about the song. We still get the sense of his playing, certainly those of us who never heard him play to begin with.

Peace again to you and yours,
tammy

Hi Tammy - thanks much for making me feel welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:52 pm 

Greetings dear Jlsoaz,

I want to say " Welcome to you."

And thank you for sharing this about Doug. A pianist huh? How lovely. I wish I could have heard him play. I did not know Doug except for a few posts from him over a couple years.

Again, thanks for sharing and nice to see you here.

Love and peace to you, a servant of Christ, Kim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:43 pm 

Hello jlsoaz,

Thank you for sharing that bit of history. He was one of only a few who knew how deadly watchtower was/is to the Spirit.
Two years went by fast. Welcome.

s-Kally

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:40 am 

I am so sorry to hear this, I don't know him but I have read his posts. That song you posted for him Shelby was so moving.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:15 pm 

Hello zoe...for some reason, you crossed my mind recently and I began to think about how you might be doing in your life. And I see your comments now. Funny how that works. ;)
Hope all is well as can be expected.
s-Kally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:55 am 

Duh, I thought this was a new thread and that Farkel died this year, not last year. I feel so stupid, I thought he had died last year but then I thought I was just mixed up. It is nice to remember him every year though, we never want to forget the good ones.

Kally thanks for asking about me, I am okay, I keep busy and try not to dwell on my health problems. I can't do physical things and my walking is worse than ever but I am at least doing things with my mind, I am trying to learn French, got Rosetta Stone for Christmas and I read a lot and watch a lot of tv shows in the winter. It is very cold and snowy here right now so I am hibernating. I do not have any friends any more (being out in the boonies) other than on-line but I am getting used to being a hermit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next