xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

Buenos días y paz a todos! (Good morning and peace to you all!)

Tengo una cita médica hoy y así va a estar fuera la mayor parte del día, así que la próxima "lección" puede tener que esperar hasta mañana. Si es así, mis más sinceras disculpas! (I have a doctor appointment today and so will be away most of the day, so next "lesson" may have to wait until tomorrow. If so, my sincere apologies!)

Por favor, seguir sin mí y vamos a continuar donde terminamos el pasado cuando regreso. (Please, continue without me, and we will pick up where we ended last when I get back.)

(I do have 1-2 posts to make before I leave, though - LOL!)

Su sirviente, compañera de estudios, y un esclava de Cristo,

SA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Admin

ZOE SAID

I feel overwhelmed when there is more than 5 words in a sentence lol. I don't know my verbs yet

This is length of sentence is as much as I can handle at one time right now

Buenos días y paz a todos! (Good morning and peace to you all!)
I actually understood this. I guess its a little at a time and repeat it over and over.
Thanks Aguest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Admin

JUSTMOM SAID

Its Okay Zoe...

I'm with ya. I can glean a few words in a long sentence but short is my friend right now these days. LOL

Tiempo verbal es mi debilidad ( verb tense is my weakness)

Have fun
Thanks everybody
Justmom

Site Admin

TEC SAID

I understood manana

I got a few other words too, lol... and gathered that Shelby's sentence had to do with a medical thing, and the next lesson happening tomorrow. Just piecing things together from a couple parts that i did understand

That is pretty much what I do with French, when I am reading it (though I understand a bit more in that language).

I'm loving the learning though. Totally.

Paz,
tammy

Site Admin

GLTIREBITER SAID

Quote:
Quote:
As in a number of other languages, there are the formal and informal forms of the personal pronoun for the second person, which also correspond to singular and plural. Is that correct? But no difference in the verbal endings at all for each?

There are different verb endings for the formal and informal pronouns.

First, the singular cases that we've already seen:

- usted esta (formal)
- tu estas (informal)

We've also met the plural for formal version:

- ustedes estan

Now we meet the informal plural, which is rarely used:
- vosotros estais

The formal versions of the second person pronouns (usted, ustedes) go with the same verb endings as the third person pronouns (el, ella, ellos, ellas). The informal second-person pronouns go with their own verb endings, which you can recognize because the last letter is "s".

There are three patterns for the regular verbs (and fortunately, there are very few irregular verbs in Spanish--unlike English!). The last vowel in the infinitive verb tells you which pattern to use.

This list gives the present tense endings, in this order:
inifinitive: 1st singular, 2nd singular, 3rd singular, 1st plural, 2nd plural, 3rd plural (translation)

Regular "ar" verbs:
Hablar: hablo, hablas, habla, hablamos, hablais, hablan (to speak)

Regular "er" verbs:
como, comes, come, comemos, comeis, comen (to eat)

Regular "ir" verbs:
escribo, excribes, escribe, escribemos, escribis, escriben (to write)

That's enough for this evening's post.

Buenos noches, amigos!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:43 am 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:01 am Post subject:
I nominate dear GLT (peace to you!)... to do the next, say, 2-3 lessons! Who's with me??!

SA

Site Admin

GLTIREBITER SAID

(What have I done? )

They say you never really learn something, until you have to teach it.

Hasta manana,

GLT (who was once a home-schooling parent)

Site Admin

CHARIKLO SAID

Oh, thank you, GL! That's really helped!

Might I make a suggestion? Please can we slow down? Oddly, I can read much of the Spanish that's been written, and I welcome all the writing, especially with translation! I am going to buy a Spanish dictionary today.

But Spanish is more different than I'd imagined from the other Spanish-based languages I know, and I need to get what we've done under my belt, so to speak. We've gone fast!

Maybe, too, we could do some exercises, starting very simply? Just a thought. Zoe's already started her own! Deep respect, Zoe! I think it would help me. Maybe it's my age, LOL!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:44 am 
Site Admin

ZOE SAID

Hola y buenos dias mis amigos. Como estas?
hello and good morning my friends how are you?

Lo siento GLtirebiter, no comprendo el leccion
sorry GLtirebiter I don't understand the lesson. (to advanced yet for me, i guess I am still needing to just get used to the words)

Muchas Gracios a todos por las lecciones
thank you everyone for the lessons.

Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

THANK you, dear GLT (good morning and peace to you!).

Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand the lesson. (to advanced yet for me,

LOLOLOLOL! That's why I was doing it the way I have been, dear Zoe (peace to you... and to all!) - LOLOLOLOL! The way Spanish is taught FORMALLY can be difficult. It was for me. So I was trying to go about it in the "order" that made/makes sense to ME... as one whose first language is English (sort of how they teach ESL, vs. English).

SOOoooo... dear GLT (peace, dear one!): will you be taking over for a couple/few lessons or shall I continue? Please note, everyone... if I continue I can only do so in MY way... which isn't going to be the usual classroom way. That's because, again, I would do it in a way that would have been easier for me to learn... AND I realize we have folks of different Spanish fluency AND learning levels here.

Since our teaching styles are probably different, dear GLT and I... and I don't want to confuse our already potentially confused participants, you all decide how you'd like to proceed and we can go from there. Please note, absolutely NO worries if you all wish to learn the more formal (and proper/accurate) way - again, I'm not a Spanish teacher but only trying to pass on what I know... in the form I know it. Dear GLT obviously has some literal teaching experience and that might be a good way to go.

Let us know? In the meantime, I'll just go about with regular posting.

Oh! The Greek/Hebrew is going to take a minute - hubby was really busy this weekend (one day was spent in Hebrew class... and what he shared from that is... well, mind-blowing for me - LOLOLOL!). The problem is the forum formatting isn't really conducive to what I'd LIKE to do... or how I'd like the lessons to present, so it's a bit of a challenge. But we'll get to it.

Peace!

YSSFS of Christ,

SA

Site Admin

ZOE SAID

I vote for informal lessons right now until we get a better feel of the words and pronunciations.

Also what do you think of taking turns chosing a word each day and then use it in a simple sentence maybe using I, he, her, they. We can ask for help or look it up and or do it wait for a critique.

I will go first if you all think that would be one of the fun ways to practice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

That sounds good to me, dear Zoe (peace!)... although I will leave the word choice up to you dear folks. I will have Lesson Two posted soon and you dear one can decide if that is what you mean by "slower" and "informal" for YOU.

Peace!

YSSFS of Christ,

SA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

LECCION DOS – CONJUGANDO LOS VERBOS IRREGULARES (Lesson Two - Conjugating Irregular Verbs)

Okay, chickens (buenas dias y paz a todos!), in the previous lesson you were given various “regular” verbs (which I forgot to notate as such – remember, I don’t claim to be a Spanish teacher – LOLOL!. They are those verbs that follow the conjugation rule where the lexeme doesn’t change and so you just use the default endings) to work with. Now, we’ll move to “irregular” verbs (those verbs that don’t follow the conjugation rule, where the lexeme changes), which are just a tad more challenging.

First, though, you might want to understand what a couple words I’ve used mean. For example:

Conjugate = Used, here, it’s when you inflect a verb in its forms for distinctions as to person (I, you, he/she, they, we, etc.).

Lexeme = The fundamental unit of a lexicon language. For example, the verb ”comer” (to eat). The lexeme (fundamental unit, comer) changes as the distinction of person changes (to “como” for “I eat”, “comes” for “you eat”, “comen” for “they eat” and so on).

Inflect = When you change the ending of a verb, as done when distinguishing person (I, you, me, they, etc.).

Irregular verbs are done a bit differently, though. The verb lexemes may be entirely changed... and the inflections don’t necessarily follow the same pattern. Because of this, I am going to set them out a bit differently than I did the regular verbs I posted. Rather than give you the inflection order, I am going to post them so that you can review them (I wish I could do this in a proper table, but... ah, well).

I thought, though, that if you got the gist as to how to conjugate regular verbs (and my thanks to dear GLT for including the “ir” ending conjugation – I forgot those, sorry!) and understood the inflection of the lexeme THERE, it would only be a short leap to get it for irregular ones, which are done differently. So, what that in mind, let’s look at how you conjugate irregular verbs (note, in the lessons I’ll post, we’ll only deal with present tense because that’s what you would most probably use on a vacation).

SOME THOUGHTS/REMINDERS before we begin:

1. All infinitive verbs end in either “ar,” “er,” or “ir,” and to conjugate these you simply replace the ar/er/ir with the appropriate ending. For example (conjugated in the order of “I... you... he/she/it... we... we (in Spain)... and they”):

Pasar (to pass) = conjugated to paso, pases, pase, pasemos, pasáis, pasan

Beber (to drink) = conjugated to bebo, bebes, bebe, bebemos, bebéis, beben

Vivir (to live) = conjugated to vivo, vives, vive, vivemos, vivís, viven

I also forgot our dear friends across the Pond and left out the ending for regular verbs used in Spain. They are: áis, éis, ís (for regular verbs ending in “ar,” “er,” and “ir.” Pertinent words, then, for example, those above, are pronounced:

Pasáis = paa-saw-ees
Bebéis = beh-beh-ees
Vivís = beh-bees or veh-vees)

2. ALWAYS “trill” those r’s (more where they are doubled)

3. ALWAYS pronounce the “mos” endings (i.e., hablamos, comemos, pintamos) with the long “o”, as in “most.”

Okay, so, here goes, in the order of “I... you... he/she/it... we... we (Spain)... and they”:

Dar (to give) – pronounced “dahr” Doy (I give) – pronounced “doy”
Das (You give) – pronounced “dahs”
Da (He/she/it gives) – pronounced “dah”
Damos (We give) – pronounced “dah-mos”
Dáis (We give; Spain) – pronounced “dah-ees”
Dan (They give) – pronounced “dahn”

Decir (to say/tell) – pronounced “deh-seer”
Digo (I say/tell) – pronounced “dee-goh”
Dices (You say/tell) – pronounced “dee-ses”
Dice (He/she says/tells) – pronounced “dee-say”
Decimos (We say/tell) – pronounced “deh-see-mos” (long “o”)
Decís (We say/tell; Spain) – pronounced “deh-sees”
Dicen (They say/tell) – pronounced “dee-sen”

Hacer (to do/make) - pronounced “ah-sair” (remember, the “hache/h” is always silent!)
Hago (I do/make) – pronounced “ah-go”
Haces (You do/make) – pronounced “ah-ses”
Hace (He/she does/makes) – pronounced “ah-say”
Hacemos (We do/make) – pronounced “ah-say-mos”
Hacéis (We do/make; Spain) – pronounced “ah-say-ees”
Hacen (They do/make) – pronounced “ah-sen”

Ir (to go) - pronounced “eer” (the “r” is trilled, chickens!)
Voy (I go) – pronounced “boy” or “voy” (either is fine US, but “b” only in Spain,
Vas (You go) – pronounced “bahs”/“vahs”
Va (He/She goes) – pronounced “bah”/“vah”
Vamos (We go) – pronounced “bah-mos”/“vah-mos”
Váis (We go; Spain) – pronounced “bah-ees”/”vah-ees”
Van (They go) – pronounced “bahn” or “vahn”

Oir (to hear) - pronounced “oy-eer” (roll that “r”!)
Oigo (I hear) – pronounced “oy-goh”
Oyes (You hear) – pronounced “oy-yes”
Oye (He/she hears) – pronounced “oy-yay”
Oimos (We hear) – pronounced “oy-mos”
Oís (We hear; Spain) – pronounced “oy-ees”
Oyen (They hear) – pronounced “oy-yen”

Poder (to be able) – pronounced “po-dair” (hard “d” and roll that r!)
Puedo (I can) – pronounced “pweh-tho” (the “ue” is always pronounced as a “weh” and the “d” is very “soft”)
Puedes (You can) – pronounced “pweh-thes”
Puede (He/she/it can) – pronounced “pweh-they”
Podemos (We can) – pronounced “po-deh-mos” (hard “d”)
Podéis (We can; Spain) – pronounced “po-deh-ees”
Pueden (They can) – pronounced “pweh-den”

Poner (to put/place) – pronounced “poe-nair”
Pongo (I put/place) – pronounced “pone-go” (long “o”, not short “o” or “pawn-go”, dear ‘Mom – LOLOL!)
Pones – (You put/place) – pronounced “po-nes”
Pone – (He/she/it puts/places) – pronounced “po-nay”
Ponemos – (We put/place) – pronounced “po-nay-mos”
Ponéis – (We put/place; Spain) – pronounced “po-nay-ees”
Ponen – (They put/place) – pronounced “po-nen”

Querer (to want/wish) – pronounced “keh-rrehr” (all r’s are trilled, the first one a lot!)
Quiero (I want) – pronounced “kee-err-rroh” (roll those r’s!!)
Quieres (You want) – pronounced “kee-err-rress” (“s” sound, not the “z” sound)
Quiere (He/she wants) – pronounced “kee-err-rray (ROLL ‘em!)
Queremos (We want) – pronounced “keh-rreh-mos” (roll...)
Queréis (We want; Spain) – pronounced “kehr-rreh-eess”
Queren (They want) – pronounced “kehr-rren”

Saber (to know) – pronounced “sah-bair”
Sé (I know) – pronounced “say”
Sabes (You know) – pronounced “sah-bess” or “sah-vess” (yeah, that “b”/”v” thing...)
Sabe (He/She knows) – pronounced “sah-bey” or “sah-vey” (hence, “savvy”)
Sabemos (We know) – pronounced “sah-bey-mos” or “sah-vey-mos”
Sabéis (We know; Spain) – pronounced “sah-bey-eess” or “sah-vey-eess”
Saben (They know) – pronounced “sah-ben” or “sah-ven”

Salir (to leave/go out from) – pronounced “sah-leer” (roll...)
Salgo (I leave/go out) – pronounced “sol-goh”
Sales (You go) – pronounced “sah-less”
Salimos (We go) – pronounced “sah-lee-mos”
Salís (We go; Spain) – pronounced “sah-leess” (soft “s”, not “z” sound)
Salen (They go) – pronounced “sah-len”

Tener (to have) – pronounced “ten-nair”
Tengo (I have) – pronounced “taing-o”
Tienes (You have) – pronounced “tee-en-ess” (soft “s”)
Tiene (He/She has) – pronounced “tee-en-ney”
Tenemos (We have) – pronounced “te-ney-mos”
Tenéis (We have; Spain) – pronounced “te-ney-eess”
Tienen (They have) – pronounced “tee-en-nen”

Traer (to bring) – pronounced “try-air” (roll the r’s!)
Traigo (I bring) – pronounced “trry-go” (the “ai” makes the long “i” sound; roll the r!)
Traes (You bring) – pronounced “trry-ess”
Trae (He/She brings) – pronounced “trry-ay”
Traemos (We bring) – pronounced “trry-eh-mos”
Traéis (We bring; Spain) – pronounced “trry-eess”
Traen (They bring) – pronounced “trry-en”

Venir (to come) – pronounced “beh-neerr” or veh-neerr”
Vengo (I come) – pronounced “bain-go” or “vain-go”
Vienes (You come) – pronounced “bee-in-iss” or “vee-en-iss”
Viene (He/She/it comes) – pronounced “bee-in-nay” or “vee-en-nay”
Venimos (We come) – pronounced “beh-nee-mos” or “veh-nee-mos”
Venís (We come; Spanish) – pronounced “beh-neess” or “veh-neess”
Vienen (They come) – pronounced “bee-en-nen” or “vee-en-nen”

Ver (to see) – pronounced “bairr” or “vairr” (roll!)
Veo (I see) – pronounced “bay-yo” or “vay-yo”
Ves (You see) – pronounced “beys” or “veys” (or “bes” or “ves”)
Ve (He/She sees) – pronounced “bey” or “vey”
Vemos (We see) – pronounced “bey-mos” or “vey-mos”
Véis (We see; Spanish) – pronounced “bey-ees” or “vey-ees”
Ven (They see) – pronounced “beyn” or “veyn”

Finally, there are two irregular verbs that express various forms of “to be”: ser and estar. Ser is more of a passive verb, while estar is the active, grammatically speaking. Ser tells you what something IS, the nature of its BEING, while estar is more about what something DOES. So, for example, you might use soy (the first person present tense of ser) to tell what you ARE (male, female, a mother, a Canadian, etc.), while using estoy (the first person present tense of estar) to say what you are temporarily BEING/DOING (feeling tired, driving, running, learning, etc.).

Hence (again, in the “I... you... he/she... we... we (Spain)... and they” order:

Ser (to be) – pronounced “sairr” (roll, roll, roll!)
Soy (I am) – pronounced just like it looks!
Eres (You are) – pronounced “err-rres” (do I have to say it? Okay, roll those r’s!)
Es (He/She/it is) – pronounced like the letter “s”
Somos (We are) – pronounced “so-mos” (long “o”s)
Soís (We are; Spain) – pronounced “soy-ees” (s’s not z’s)
Son (They are) – pronounced “sone” (NOT like “bone”... don’t draw that “o” out, cowpokes!)

Estar (to be) – pronounced “ess-starr”
Estoy (I am) – pronounced like it looks!
Estás (You are) – pronounced “eh-stas”
Está (He/She/it is) – pronounced “eh-stay”
Estamos (We are) – pronounced “eh-stah-mos”
Estáis (We are; Spain) – pronounced “eh-stah-ees”
Estan (They are) – pronounced “eh-stan”

And there you have it! Lesson 2 done!

I will post more on how to use these verbs in simple sentences in the next lesson. For those of you who have little or no Spanish under your belt, you really should spend time to get to know these verbs because it you get this down, putting them to use is SO much easier! If you’re more fluent and/or are feeling “froggy” (i.e., impatient with the pace – LOLOL!)... by all means do your thing and go ahead and try some phrases/sentences for yourselves.

NOTE: I TRIED to italicize the emphasis for each word; again, our forum’s formatting made that SO onerous I abandoned the effort (however, I think it's important so I might have to invoke my editing "authorities" to get it done - LOLOLOL! In the meantime, if you wish to know how to pronounce a particular word, then, simply post it and any of us who know can help you out.

I truly hope this helps some... and thank you ALL for YOUR patience![/b]

SA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Admin

LOZ SAID

I think I'm lost lol.

Loz x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Admin

TEC SAID

Is it just a matter of memorizing what are regular or irregular verbs, Shelby?

(been a long time since I even thought about these things... I had to look up regular vs irregular verbs to have a clue what we were talking about, lol)

Paz,
tammy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next