xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:36 am 
Site Admin

ZOE SAID

I dreamt about this last night, I was was with some people who were spanish and I had to speak it to communicate. I was struggling lol.

So what are we supposed to do, take the words you listed and make a sentence? I also wish I knew how to pronounce those words though I do have a berlitz latin american spanish dictionary.

I was thinking, is it normal in Spanish to just say I speak or speak? Yo Hablo or hablo. In English we dont usually say that unless we are talking to our dog lol.
We don't usually say I dance either or I drink. We say we would like a drink or we would like to dance.

Shelby tu habla espanol bueno. Shelby you speak good spanish, is that the right way to say it.

Quisiera mas cafe por favor, yo bebo, tu bebes, El bebe, ella bebe. That probably sounds like baby talk lol. My favorite words is mas vino blanco not mas cafe.

I'd like more coffee please, I drink, you drink ,he drinks, she drinks is the translation, sounds not quite right?

How do you pronounce beber bebo bebes bebe?

I am having trouble with pronunciattions.

I searched and found how to pronunce bebe (drink) which is baybay, is bebo bayboh?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:37 am 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

I hear you ALL... and dear Loz/Char (peace to you, both!)... I didn't mean to come off like I was offended or anything. I just want to make sure everyone knows I am NOT an expert at this - my Spanish is "intermediate" - LOLOLOL! And teaching it through writing is a bit different than speaking... AND I rarely meet anyone who speaks the Spanish dialect (I live in Oakland, CA, so you get your Mexican, El Salvadoran, Honduran, Guatamalan, Peruvian, Columbian, Carribean, etc. versions more often - LOLOLOLOL!).

No worries, though - I just wanted to make sure everyone's expectations were realistic... because I will probably teach you SOMETHING wrong here - LOLOLOLOL! Actually, more likely than not!

Dear Loz (peace, dear sister!)... yes, "to be"... I understood. Along with perhaps a bit more, as MY lesson guide might do. We'll see, girl!

Quote:
Quote:
So what are we supposed to do, take the words you listed and make a sentence?

Oh, no, nothing like that, yet, dear Zoe (peace, chile'!), unless YOU want to do that. I just thought those who might want to could take that list of words and apply them to the proper "person." I, you, we, they, s/he, etc. If they WANTED to. Some know little or no Spanish, so I am trying to help them, as well. If you DO know some Spanish, then, sure... by ALL means, practice in sentences if you want.

Quote:
Quote:
I also wish I knew how to pronounce those words though I do have a berlitz latin american spanish dictionary.

I can put the pronunciations up, sure! No problem!

Quote:
Quote:
I was thinking, is it normal in Spanish to just say I speak or speak? Yo Hablo or hablo. In English we dont usually say that unless we are talking to our dog lol. We don't usually say I dance either or I drink. We say we would like a drink or we would like to dance.

Perhaps, dear one, but I think most folks start at "Do you speak?"... or "Tu hablas/hablas?" and so I chose words similar to that (i.e., end in "r" but don't have too many hoops to jump through to transition). I haven't gotten to "I want/would like" yet, specifically because of the change to the first person use. My plan was to do that in the next lesson, along with conjugating "to be." Right now, I just wanted folks to understand the different endings for I/you/he/she/they, etc., and chose to come from the point of easier words to transition as doing it with word for "I want" ("querer")... and similar... are a tad trickier. But I will get to those, I promise. Again, I can only do this in the manner that made sense to ME and helped ME learn.

Quote:
Quote:
Shelby tu habla espanol bueno. Shelby you speak good spanish, is that the right way to say it.

I see nothing wrong with saying it that way, dear one. A couple other ways to say it might be:

"Hablas bien Espanol." Translation: "You speak (hablas) bien (good/well) Espanol (Spanish)." (Or "You speak Spanish well");

"Hablas Espanol muy bien." Translation: "You speak (hablas) Spanish (Espanol) very (muy) well (bien)."

Quote:
Quote:
Quisiera mas cafe por favor

Now, see, I would state that as: Quiero (I want/would like) mas (more) cafe (coffee) por favor (please)." But I don't think I would even say that. Instead, I would simply say:

"Mas cafe, por favor (More coffee, please)"?

For me, the "please"(por favor) would cancel out the need to say "I want/would like" to show manners. But that's me, girl..

Quote:
Quote:
yo bebo, tu bebes, El bebe, ella bebe. That probably sounds like baby talk lol.

Not to Spanish speakers - LOLOLOL! And so, another important lesson to remember is regard for the language of others. It's VERY important to be respectful, as what seems "childish" or "funny" to ENGLISH speakers isn't necessarily so to those who speak other languages.

Quote:
Quote:
My favorite words is mas vino blanco not mas cafe.

LOLOL! Yeah, I understand. I don't drink wine anymore...

I'd like more coffee please, I drink, you drink ,he drinks, she drinks is the translation, sounds not quite right?

Depends on the conversation, does it not? For example, what if I'm asking you IF you drink wine (versus would you LIKE some wine)? I may not, say, be serving you, but maybe wanting to invite you to a wine tasting. In which case, I wouldn't ask you if you want/would like some wine, right? I want to know if you DRINK wine. So, I would ask you:

"Bebes vino?" (or, more formally, "Usted bebe vino?"). Translation:
"Do you drink wine?"

And you might respond:

"Si, bebo vino. Pero, yo prefiero el vino blanco (or "Mi preferencia es el vino blanco"). Translation: "Yes, I drink wine. But I prefer white wine."

Quote:
Quote:
How do you pronounce beber bebo bebes bebe?

I see where you found some pronounciations. The "be" part can be pronounced as either "beh" or "bay". Either is fine, as far as I know.

So, okay! Again, it will probably be tomorrow or Tuesday before I post the next lesson, so thank you all for your patience! Of course, should the Professor himself wish to weigh in, etc., he is MORE than welcome to - LOLOLOL!

Paz a todos pollos!

Su sirviente, compañero de estudios, y un esclava de Cristo,

SA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Admin

ZOE SAID

Thank you Shelby. I was saying mas cafe por favor and mas vino blanco and mas heuvos etc in Mexico and everyone understood. For some reason I thought I was leaving out words that would make the sentence more polite.

Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

ou are QUITE welcome, dear Zoe-Girl (peace!). Yeah, I've learned over HERE to KSSS... or "Keep Spanish Simple Silly." LOLOLOLOL!

Hey, before I show how to pronounce those words above... I wanted to share the following with you all (and please excuse because I know I said we shouldn't mix languages, but this applies):

In Spanish, the letter "j" is a "jota"... pronounced "hota". In many instances I have tried to help some see that the letter "j" in Hebrew is the "yodh"... pronounced "yod" or "yud". Many believe that because the letter MAKES the "y" sound... it is a "y." However, the "jota"... although a "j" makes the "h" sound. Yet, it is NOT an "h" (hache). Just like while in Spanish the "jota" makes the "h" sound... although a "j"... in HEBREW the "yodh"... although making the "y" sound... is also a "j".

Okay, now on to word pronunciations:

Note, all r's are trilled ("rolled"), and emphasis is always on the last syllable (italicized) for these words:

Ganar = gan-ahr
Limpiar = lim-pee-ahr (the "i" is pronounced as "ee")
Mandar = man-dahr
Manejar = man-eh-hahr (the jota, "j", is always pronounced as an "h")
Pintar = pin-tahr
Planchar = plan-chahr
Lavar = la-bahr (or "la-vahr" in Mexico)
Saltar = sal-tahr
Cuidar = kwee-dahr (the "ui" is always pronouced as "oo-ee" or "wee")
Ayudar = ah-yoo-dahr
Alquilar = al-kee-lahr (the "qui" is pronounced as "kee", NOT "kwee")
Dudar = du-dahr
Cambiar = cam-bee-ahr (the "i" is pronounced as "ee")
Llorar = yor-rahr (the "ll" is always pronounced as "y" and both r's are trilled here)
Tomar = toe-mahr (NOT "tom-ahr")
Concinar = ko-cee-nahr (the first "c" is "hard"; the second is like an "s")
Terminar = tur-mee-nahr (trill both r's)
Contestar = con-tes-tahr
Arreglar = ahr-re-glahr (trill both r's)
Nadar = nah-dahr
Trabajar = tra-va-hahr (the "b" here is pronounced as a "v"; both r's are trilled)
Comprar = com-prahr (again, trill both r's)
Pasar = pas-ahr
Dejar = day-hahr
Llevar = yeh-bahr (or "Ye-vahr" in Mexico)
Bajar = bah-hahr

So, there you go! Please don't hesitate to post further questions, etc., regarding this first lesson, if you have them, or errors if you see them.

Su sirviente, compañera de estudios, y un esclava de Cristo,

SA

Site Admin

TEC SAID

Yo practico y entiendo (this) leccion.

I like listening to the way you all put sentences together. It is the connection words that I need to learn now. Like 'this' above. Rather than have what seems (to me) to be a choppy sentence.

Plus, if i understand right, then I do not need the Yo at the beginning of that sentence, do I?

Paz!

tammy

Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

You can say it either way, dear tec (peace, luv!). The word for "this" is "este". So:

"(Yo) practico y entiendo este leccion."

Hope that helps.

SA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Admin

TEC SAID

Si, gracias.

Paz,

tammy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Admin

GLTIREBITER SAID

Quote:
You all = Vosotros

Muy divertido! [Very amusing!] That translation is correct, but "Father G" would have had a FIT if we translated that word as "Y'all" in fifth-period Espanol Primero [Spanish 1].

Vosotros--the informal second person plural pronoun used among peers--is now rarely said, if I remember correctly. Ustedes--the formal version of the pronoun--is more often used, and should always be used when the conversation is not between close friends, in particular when addressing parents, teachers, la policia and other authority figures. Especially la policia! The same applies to the singular pronouns (which are used regularly): tu or su are for informal conversations between social peers, while usted is used in formal speech and as a mark of respect.

Gracias para las lecciones, Shelby. Necessito a practicar, porque hay pasado mas de cuarenta anos desde mi classes en escuela. [Thank you for the lessons, Shelby. I need to practice, because more than fourty years have passed since my classes in school.]

The accented characters and leading punctuation marks (upside-down exclamation point and question mark) are going to be a challenge on the forum. Is there an easy way to include them?

Mas cerveza, por favor! (That's about the only Spanish I've used since high school!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:40 am 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

Greetings, dear GLT... and peace to you!

Yeah, I started not to include "vosotros" at all... but thought someone might say, "Hey, wait - where's vosotros?" LOLOLOLOL!

I am leaving the question mark/exclamation point out at this time as I was thinking we can deal with it later... when we get to how to frame questions... 'cause I'm trying to focus in what I'm sharing right now (and so not invite diversions myself, however, I have NO problem if others do).

I am glad you've joined us, though, as I can use all of the help I can get and your comments and others' are a HUGE help!

Muchisima gracias... y paz!

Tu sirviente, compañero de estudios, y un esclava de Cristo,

SA

Site Admin

CHARIKLO SAID

Shelby, just wondering...I've been re-reading through all of this, because getting it all under my belt requires going over and over it all.

Looking at the verbal endings for the different persons, and reading people's comments, a question struck me. As in a number of other languages, there are the formal and informal forms of the personal pronoun for the second person, which also correspond to singular and plural. Is that correct? But no difference in the verbal endings at all for each? So, without the addition of that personal pronoun, there is no way to know inherently from the form of the verb which form of the "you" is in the mind? I'm thinking of the fact that in normal speech "you" is understood, mostly, rather than being spoken?

That's very different from the other languages I know which also employ two different forms of you, including English, for it's not so very long since we used thou as well as you.

Incidentally, did you know that users of the Yorkshire dialect still habitually use thou and thee in daily life? Just one of my snippets of serendipitous information! LOL!...and, of course, it's still in use, though less and less so, in the way some people address God.

Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

You are correct, dear Char (peace to you, dear one!), but since I am not really a Spanish teacher... and only wished to share on an informal level (again, to help one, say, get through a vacation), I haven't decided whether to include formal (usted, usteds, etc.). I mean, if anyone is planning on using Spanish to say, procure a job, or address someone in business... this is PROBABLY not the best place... or way... to learn Spanish - LOLOLOL! I am certainly not the best teacher for that - LOLOL!

Again, I only included "vosotros" because I thought someone might bring that up, but I NEVER use it.

I hope this helps!

SA

Site Admin

BURNTHESHIPS SAID

Buenas noches. Espero que todos ustedes esten bien!

Site Admin

ZOE SAID

Hola y buenos dias mes amigas and amigos - hello and good morning my friends (is that right)

BTS, you didn't translate in the last comment, I think we need to do that lol. Now I have to go and use a translator. I don't know about the others here but personally my vocabulary in Spanish is mayby less than 50 words.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Admin

ZOE SAID

Quote:
burntheships wrote:
Buenas noches. Espero que todos ustedes esten bien!

Translated - Good night, I hope you all are well!

I knew the good night but the last sentence I only knew the word bien. I am so lost here

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Admin

TEC SAID

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:23 pm Post subject:
Don't worry Zoe. I think you know more spanish than I do. I am just learning as I can, and anything I learn is more than I knew before, lol. I need everything to be translated right now also, but I think it will come to the point where we won't need that. Not for everything anyway

Paz,

tammy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next