xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Etymology of words
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 am 

Peace to you!

I LOVE etymology of words. I love how much you can find out about a people or doctrine or time. I love how you can find out the context as to what people originally meant and therefore, believed... compared to how that grew and changed. Sometimes just by looking at the originally meaning of a word!

Language class section seemed not to be such a bad place for us to throw some words that we find interesting out there, or that the Spirit has led us to look up, see, hear, and/or understand.

This is my favorite site so far on this subject (linking to the word the Spirit led me to see):

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?all ... hmode=none

As to the word "Salem"... the Spirit had led me to research the history and timeline of Jerusalem, and I came across a site linking Jerusalem to Salem. (as in Melchizedek... King of Salem. THAT Salem/Shalem) I had never made that connection before, that Jerusalem was this same Salem, and so that was exciting to learn for me. In any case, that led me to look further, where Paul spoke of the King of Salem meaning the King of peace. And in the etymology of Jerusalem, you will see that they write that Jerusalem means foundation of peace.

Then you look at the two words for peace in Hebrew and Arabic - Shalom and Salaam, respectively - and you can see the connection and similarity between the words, further showing also the connection we already know is between the two peoples: Israel and Ishmael.

Peace to you!
Your sister and servant, and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Post subject: Re: Etymology of words
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:37 am 

Oh, the shortcoming of that site, is that it only tends to go back so far. Salem, we have an example from, from LONG ago. But many words only go back to the middle ages on that site. Just an fyi.

Peace again!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:33 pm 

I'd nothing else, I must give credit to the WTBTS for their attempts at etymology, dear tec (peace to you and GREAT thread topic!). The NWT reference bible delves into word etymology quite a bit. For example, that the term "Jerusalem" means "[city/dwelling place] of double peace." Hence, the NEW Jerusalem will be the actual fulfillment of that purpose: a "place" where mankind AND God will dwell TOGETHER, so that, as JAH Himself said, it will be a place of NO MORE mourning, outcry, pain... where NO harm will be done. What more could peace represent... for MAN... than such a place!

More (words), please!

Peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellamar, a total word-a-phile!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:21 pm 

You should always go for the Semetic origin of the words.
Quote:
dandyl answered 4 years ago
To answer you,The name "Jerusalem" is a compound of two Semitic roots, "s-l-m" meaning wholeness, peace,harmony or completeness, and "y-r-h" meaning to show, direct, instruct, or teach. Jerusalem means "Abode of Peace," "Teaching of Peace", or "Whole or Complete Instruction".A city called Rušalimum or Urušalimum appears in ancient Egyptian records as one of the first references to Jerusalem. These Egyptian forms are thought to derive from the local name attested in the Amarna letters, e.g.: in EA 287 (where it takes several forms) Urusalim.The form Yerushalayim (Jerusalem) first appears in the book of Joshua. This form has the appearance of a portmanteau (blend) of yerusha (heritage) and the original name Shalem and is not a simple phonetic evolution of the form in the Amarna letters. Some believe there is a connection to Shalim, the beneficent deity known from Ugaritic myths as the personification of dusk.Another suggested etymology is Jerū-šālēm, the first part of which possibly means "settlement" or "fortress" (thence "The Abode of Shalim").

Typically the ending -im indicates the plural in Hebrew grammar and -ayim the dual thus leading to the suggestion that the name refers to the fact that the city sits on two hills.However the pronunciation of the last syllable as -ayim appears to be a late development, which had not yet appeared at the time of the Septuagint. In Greek and Latin it is transliterated Hierosolyma (Ιερουσαλήμ). To the Arabs, Jerusalem is القُدس al-Quds ("The Holy"). "Zion" initially referred to part of the city, but later came to signify the city as a whole. Under King David, it was known as Ir David (the City of David).
For over 3,300 years of history, Jerusalem has been a capital city for only the Jewish People. Jews have always lived in Jerusalem, except when they were massacred or driven out. There has, however, been a nearly unbroken Jewish presence in Jerusalem for the past 1,600 years. And since the early 1800's, the population of Jerusalem has been predominantly Jewish. Even when the Jordanians captured and occupied Jerusalem from 1948-67, they (the Jordanians) never sought to change it to their capital (replacing Amman) nor make it the capital of all Arab-"Palestinian" people. Even during the 19 years Jordan "occupied" most of Jerusalem, Arab leaders from other Arab countries hardly ever bothered to visit this city! Only to the Jews has Jerusalem ever held special meaning! The reality is that Jerusalem was never an Arab capital and that it never was, until the Jews revitalized it, a dusty provincial city that hardly played and economic, social or political role.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100411075334AAkJ81H

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:15 am 

Thank you for that and I don't want to contend, dear ANOMOS (peace to you!), but I'm not sure "dandyl's contribution" is accurate. He/she seems to have taken it from here (http://www.abarim-publications.com/Mean ... 2xpkYFdWGM) which appears to set forth speculation on the part of the author(vs. dandyl's assertions as if these things are true). I have learned something different from my dear Lord, the HOLY One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH (MischaJah).

Since I had not heard from him that what the WTBTS taught about Jerusalem meaning "city of double peace", I did not dispute. I have learned that while it is very little, they do have a couple/few things right. How could they mislead EVEN the chosen ones, if they didn't have SOME morsels? Here is how he explained it to me:

It is true that the first part of the word, "y-r-h," indicates a duality. But that duality is IN teaching/instructing... not in addition TO it. And it has nothing to do with the two hills upon which the city sits, per se. The city did not actually sit on two hills until Solomon built the first temple. And while it is referred to as "Jerusalem" at Joshua 10:1... that is due to the lying pen of the scribes.

"Salem" (aka "Zion" - Psalm 76:1), was the lower mount on which David built HIS city FIRST. And it was still referred to AS "Salem" (or "Shalem", "Shalayim", etc.) until that time. And it had been known as the "city of peace" for millenia before that time ("Uru'shalayim" - the Arkaadian/Phoenecian word for "city" WAS "ur'u" - hence, Abraham came FROM "ur" (aka "Ur")... the only real "city" IN Babylon at the time. Everywhere else were just towns, if not villages, etc. I digress.).

Once Solomon had the temple built, it became a DUAL... or DOUBLE... city (by means of its walls having been extended and so its size DOUBLED)... of peace. But that's only part of the situation. The Phoenecian/Aramaic/Hebrew word, "J'rah" (depicted by scholars as "Y-r-h") means "dual teaching/instruction." Not one (dual) or the other (teaching/instruction), but "DUAL teaching/instruction."

And so, the city of Jerusalem was eventually named as it was, "city of (double/dual) peace", for three (2) reasons:

1. It was the place (on the earth) from which Jah would teach mankind, particularly Israel, peace... which had now doubled (in size);

2. From this city, now doubled in size, JAH would teach mankind... through (a) the Aaronic priesthood, AND (b)... His established king (at the time, David); but most importantly...

3. He would do so DIRECTLY through the priests, by means of the His Presence over the Ark of the Covenant, AND... by means of His SON, who spoke directly to David... and TRIED to speak directly to Solomon, His chosen (earthly) kings.

All of this was the culmination of the initial PHYSICAL fulfillment of "Melchizedek", the king/priest. While my Lord later became the ACTUAL fulfillment (because he became the only OTHER man named to be a king AND a priest to JAH, his fulfillment being SPIRITUAL)... JAH fulfilled this in PHYSICAL men... IN THE MEANTIME... by having ONE man serve as (high) priest while ANOTHER served as king... with both being taught (by Him) at the same time.

In THIS way, the kingship and priesthood were SUPPOSED to always be IN AGREEMENT. One and in union, as it were... due to both being taught by the same SPIRIT... HOLY SPIRIT... although two separate individuals. That separation, which started after Melchizedek, the FIRST king/priest to JAH... ended with Christ, the second and only OTHER king/priest to JAH.

It will be fulfilled again, however, by those who make up the Bride of Christ. Revelation 5:9, 10

So, due to this duality in teaching/instruction IN peace... Israel had no excuse NOT to learn peace (indeed, they were directed to EXHIBIT peace, especially with their brothers - Deuteronomy 2:4-9, 18, 19). Because they had a DOUBLE portion from which to learn: from JAH, as king... AND Christ, as High Priest. Even then. Through their PHYSICAL their king AND their PHYSICAL high priest.

And while JAH and Christ held true... it was the corruption of the kings and priests that led them astray.

This is what I received from my dear Lord, Master, King, and High Priest... the TRUE Melchizedek... the HOLY One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH (MischaJah)... and have shared with you, dear one, just as he gave it to me. As always, you don't have to take my word for it. He is there, standing... open. You only need go to him and ask for yourself. I have no doubt that if you do, you will receive the same information, for it is the truth.

In the meantime, I hope what I have shared with you here helps. Truly.

As always, peace to you!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 am 

Double post. My apologies to all!

Peace!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 am 

Double post.... for emphasis... on double peace... ; )

Peace!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:02 pm 

GOOD ONE!! LOLOLOL!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:37 pm 

I find it strange/interesting that just in the last couple of weeks, I also caught that both Salem and Shalom meant peace. I didn't research any further, so thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:52 am 

It is interesting, isn't it, Leaving? I have found myself on the same 'wavelength' as you a few times, and others as well, and sometimes seemingly on my own. Wherever the Spirit leads us at a given time. That must also be how we can give a 'second witness' to things we hear as well.

Okay, so new word:

Christ/Messiah

Shelby and Armand already spoke of this elsewhere on the forum, but this was on my mind again.

Christ and Messiah both mean 'anointed/the anointed'. From the online etymology dictionary:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?ter ... in_frame=0

.1300, Messias, from Late Latin Messias, from Greek Messias, from Aramaic meshiha and Hebrew mashiah "the anointed" (of the Lord), from mashah "anoint." This is the word rendered in Septuagint as Greek Khristos (see Christ). In Old Testament prophetic writing, it was used of an expected deliverer of the Jewish nation. The modern English form represents an attempt to make the word look more Hebrew, and dates from the Geneva Bible (1560). Transferred sense of "an expected liberator or savior of a captive people" is attested from 1660s.

From blue letter bible:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lex ... 5547&t=NIV

So that the phrase, false prophets and false christs will arise among you... does not JUST mean someone who claims to be Christ, Himself (although certainly someone making that claim who is NOT Jaheshua the Messiah would also be a false christ/messiah). I used to think that is all it meant, and it tends to put your focus solely upon those who claim to be Christ, Himself... so that you are not prepared or on guard for false teachers/leaders/anointed. But it literally means "false prophets and false anointed will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect - if this were possible." (matt 24:24)

So test... the inspired expressions. Test... the teachings and doctrines that religious leaders and religions speak in the "name of Christ". Test all that man claims and teaches to be true, no matter how powerful or educated or religious that man seems to be, against the TRUE Christ, Jaheshua the Messiah, the Holy Spirit and Holy One of Israel, the Son of Jah, who is the MOST Holy One of Israel.

Because our Lord warned us from the start that such men would come and would mislead many. (Matt 24:5)

Peace to you,
your servant, sister, and a slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:16 pm 

The word Messiah is of the same Greek origin like the word middle = Μέσος. The Greek verb is μεσάζω.
Μεσάζων = Mediator.

Jesus is Mediator (= Messiah) between YHWH and humans.

Sorry dudes, I know you do not accept it, but this is what happened: Semitic > Greek > Hebrew

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:39 pm 

Quote:
I know you do not accept it, but this is what happened: Semitic > Greek > Hebrew

I can only speak for myself, but I TOTALLY accept, buy, believe, and understand it, dear ANOMOS (peace to you!), although in this way (as I received from my dear Lord):

A form of Phoenician/Aramaic aka "ancient Hebrew" (which is Semitic, yes, but there were other Semitic dialects) > Greek > Modern "Hebrew" (which is NOT the "Aramaic" the WTBTS teaches about - that they say is hybrid of "Chaldean/Hebrew"... which is ridiculous because Aramaic... or ancient Hebrew... existed before and alongside Chaldean...).

We have to remember:

The modern OT is primarily from the Septuagint (LXX), a Greek translation of the "Writings" (aka Scriptures)... which translation Christ condemned ("Woe to you, scribes!")... due to falsities (as Jeremiah prophesied would occur.

No one alive today knows the original "Hebrew" (again, Phoenician/Aramaic)... except maybe Christ. No one has since shortly after my Lord's day in the flesh. Even at that time, Jews spoke both Greek AND Hebrew (Acts 6:1). Greek was actually their primary language, except for those who held to the "old" ways... including my Lord (which he did because the Greek didn't always correctly transliterate the Hebrew (Matthew 27:46; John 1:42; 19:17). That was why he had a problem with the scribes (and the Septuagint - a LOT was "lost" in translation. And even more was just wrongly translated... on purpose).

This is why he often has me look up the ROOT of the Greek word... to help others understand what was TRULY meant. That doesn't always work, of course. I mean, if the word itself is an error. For example, the word "anoigo" at John 9:24. The word transliterates to "open." And so when they read it, folks THINK my Lord opened the man's eyes... the lids having been closed due to his blindness. However, my Lord didn't open the blind man's eyes. He gave him eye OPENINGS... where there previously had been none. Which is why it was SUCH a big deal. As I was permitted to share elsewhere, the man was born with NO eyes... "incomplete"... so that, by means of the Father's holy spirit... which spirit created Adham/Eve... he could FINISH this man's "vessel." From the clay... just as Adham had been formed... from the clay. John 9:3, 6; Genesis 2:7

But one would NEVER get that from reading the English... from the Latin... from the Greek.

Praise JAH, there is One who is alive... and speaks... to tell us the TRUTH about these things!

So, I certainly believe you, luv.

Peace!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:18 pm 

Quote:
Semitic > Greek > Hebrew

Ahhhh... I did not understand that you were speaking of modern Hebrew here. In that case, then yes, I can understand that also.

As for the rest of what you said, about messiah = mediator, perhaps you could expand a little more? I cannot find anything to corroborate that. I see two different greek words, one for mediator (with a root word meaning middle) and one for messiah/christ (with a root word meaning anoint). I do get that Christ IS the mediator between man and God, and I don't suppose He would be that mediator without being anointed by God first.

Just curious, Anomos.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:01 am 

ANOMOS wrote:
The word Messiah is of the same Greek origin like the word middle = Μέσος. The Greek verb is μεσάζω.
Μεσάζων = Mediator.

Jesus is Mediator (= Messiah) between YHWH and humans.

Sorry dudes, I know you do not accept it, but this is what happened: Semitic > Greek > Hebrew

Not sure why you would say that.
Most scholars know that progression in terms of written text.
Aramaic/Semitic - Greek/ Koine greek - Hebrew

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:54 pm 

Alas, we cannot even read Phaistos Disk... and the idiots claim that Greek is an Indoeuropean language. They easily talk about Greek dialects and ignore ancient writings that clearly state that x region or y region was speaking a different/barbaric language. If it was simply a Greek dialect, than they wouldn't write so. Those 'barbaric' languages were Pro Greek ('Pelasgian' Semitic Variants) and the poor Indoeuropean language that Dorian (and other tribes) immigrants brought with them was enriched by them and formed the Greek language.
-
We must keep in mind that a single word could many different meanings. So even if 2 similar sounding words in different languages seem to be irrelevant it may not be so.