xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:08 am 

Inspired by the fact that Zoe and I live with hoarders I thought it'd be cool to have a 'ranting' spot on here lol.

I adore my man, please don't get the wrong idea, but we all have our little idiosyncrasies, and sometimes drive each other a bit bonkers, don't we?

Today's rant is about his reluctance to part with a mountain of outdated sports books that crowd a big part of our office. He never opens them, they're not collectors' items, what's the point!

Me: Shall we take some of these books to the car boot sale?
Him: This can only end in an argument, don't even think of touching my books.

Lol, I might be foiled this time, but I will still be plotting.....

Loz x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:20 am 

I just thought of some funny back history...

I sold my bungalow in another area to move over to hubby's little flat when we got married. He was very 'precious' about nothing being changed at first. I like to ring the changes which was a potential for many wars. There were big issues about his kitchen. He had a microwave on top of his fridge freezer, a hazard for me to reach up to take out hot dishes since I'm only 5' 2". He stored breakfast cereals on top of the microwave too, which I had to climb to reach. One morning when he'd refused to move it to a lower surface I decided to get on a chair and move it myself.

There I am standing on a chair, trying to unplug it to lift it off. He's below me arguing that he doesn't want it moved. I got so frustrated with him that I picked up a big box of Fruit & Fibre and tipped it on his head. He was covered in the stuff which went down his shirt etc. He was speechless ha ha ha. But it broke his resolve and he moved the microwave. Lol, little did he realise it was all downhill from then on lol.

Loz x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:54 am 

Quote:
Me: Shall we take some of these books to the car boot sale?
Him: This can only end in an argument, don't even think of touching my books.

Peace!!

tammy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:27 am 

I posted 3 paragraphs and lost it because I didn't notice someone else had posted while I was posting and closed the window grrrrrr.

Loz ::)) so funny about your hubby and the cereal and his sports books. Thanks for sharing that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:16 pm 

Peace to you, all! Dear hubby mine is an admitted bibliophile (we moved 85 boxes of books into this house 9 years ago!... which is why we BOUGHT a house - I couldn't stand what was in the apartment any longer, which wasn't all that much... but he had a storage unit and would have to keep going to it - I felt bad for him and wanted him to have all of his stuff in one place). He is also a bit of a hoarder (papers, old letters, photos, old elementary school report cards and stuff, etc.), most of which is fairly organized (could be better, could be worse)... and a TON of art stuff (he is a master calligrapher, water colorist, and amateur photographer who does weddings, anniversaries, invitations, cards, etc., as a hobby. He makes decent pocket money, too!). Most of the art stuff/books are out in his studio (our converted garage), which we both love!

I can handle all (well, most - we now have a rule: no more books in unless the same amount or more go out - so, he usually goes to bookstores that buy books and so he just does a bit of trade - I digress)... because, as I told some of his family members who asked me early on whether I had a problem with his stuff: "It's not drugs, alcohol, or women. A man has to have SOMETHING that is his own, his "thing", and if books, papers, and ink are all my husband's "thing" is... well, so be it." See, I had the husband whose eventually turned to drugs as a "hobby," so...

Dear hubby NOW... doesn't hunt, fish, trick out his truck, ride a motorcycle, hang out at the bar, and isn't into sports. He's into books and learning (the man is a walking cyclopedia!)... and a little painting/calligraphing/photography.

And I'm cool with that.

As for having things up high, I can relate, dear Loz (peace, luv!). I resolved THAT problem with BOTH hubbies... by constantly asking THEM to get stuff down/put stuff up FOR me. After awhile of THAT... LOTS of stuff somehow (miraculously) made its way to lower shelves - LOLOL!

Boyz can be boyz, dear girlz. And that CAN work our last nerve, yes. 'Cause we're girlz... and so LIKE order, organization, and cleanliness (most of us, most of the time). Most of them don't care AS MUCH AS WE DO about it, though. That's just how they roll.

But... we can't live without 'em, right?

Peace... and don't be TOO hard on those boyz and their quirks, girlz! They are WAY more sensitive than most of US imagine... and far more they often let on.

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellama...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:11 pm 

Wow I've never heard of a microwave being set on top of a freezer lol are refrigeration units not as high in your part of the world?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:19 pm 

Lol HP you don't see it often! That was exactly my point. The unit is a little higher than me, hubby was on a space saving mission in small kitchen. We have a bigger apartment now anyway, thankfully, and he hasn't attempted it since.

Loz x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:33 pm 

I only use the microwave for popcorn and the occasional burrito lol

Though now I'm popping more often on the stove and now the microwave has been relegated to cooking unshucked corn :) 4 min

Oh and AGuest :) the collard greens recipe ;P

It's just blanching the chopped up greens...

Melting bacon grease on the skillet and sautéing freshly chopped garlic and then adding in the greens and some salt :)

Collard greens are similar in taste to the Asian vegetable "Gailan" which is like broccoli with no florets and only leaves. The Collars greens are waaaaau tougher though :P

If you can knab some Kohlrabi, it's also similar in taste to the stems of the collard greens and Gailan. They are all related. The Kohlrabi is tender and sweet :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:57 am 

I actually made some the other day, dear Pup (peace... and thank you VERY much for the idea!)... using dear Q's (peace... and where you be, luv?) smoked ham hock recipe. Oiled those babies down, roasted on high until carmelized, sauted a little unjun and garlick... then popped all into some lightly water (to cover) for about an hour... then added cut/washed collards, a tad more salt... and course ground peppa...

Ohhhhhh... MY! Hubby gobbled ALL up (I made half my usual amount). I wasn't sure he would, as I usually make my greens with smoked turkey, but had a hankering for dear Q's carmelized hocks. Didn't feel like beans this time and so... collards.

As for the microwave, I try not to use mine often. When I saw a few years ago that the puppies won't eat ANYTHING microwaved, I backed off. I do use it to regularly pop corn (when I can't find my preferred bagged stuff), steam vegetables, and slighty melt butter. Otherwise, I try to stay from it. I mean, my puppies have VERY sensitive noses and if THEY can detect something so that THEY won't even touch it... when it's something they WILL touch if I heat it some other way... I though, "Hmmmmm... I should probably "listen" to that" - LOLOLOL!

Peace!

Shellama, on her own...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:37 pm 

.....................Micro Wave Cooking....................

ImageImageImage

.................................Image...OUTLAW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

Collard greens are called spring greens in the UK.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:06 pm 

Love them :) just wish the leaves were not so tough :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 am 

A traditional Portuguese dish is collard greens soup, what we call "caldo Verde"
Here:

Done with potatoes (puree) and Portuguese sausage ( spicy if you like it that way).
Eaten with corn bread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:29 am 

Holy molly, that's a big picture, LMAO !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:29 am 

THis better?