xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:44 pm 

Peace to you all... and this is with reference to a movie, under the genre of "Don't You Just Hate?". The movie was "Exodus: Gods and Kings"... and "it" was dear hubby talking me into seeing that movie. Granted, I waffeled back and forth (from "Nope, have absolutely NO desire to see it", to "Well, who knows, maybe there'll be sumthin' in it," then, "Uh-uh, I HATE those movies," to "What the hell...").

Bottom line? "HATED it" (Shel states in that Damon Wayans sing-song voice). Thankfully, so did critics, so did the review audiences, so did the audience we saw it with... and so did dear hubby.

I won't spoil it for any who DO wish to see it, still, except to say, Ya'll though "Noah" was a departure? Humphf. At least it was understandable with that one. This one, though...

Ennywho... told hubby that this was my absolute last... LAST... time I would agree to see a "Bible-based" (loosely or otherwise - but not sure what I'm gonna do about the... I think it's entitled "Red Tent" but not sure, the one about Dinah (or Tamar, I can't recall)... one, yet. At least with that one, so little is IN the Bible that "artistic" license is almost a MUST just to HAVE a screenplay. There are not just chapters about Noah... but BOOKS related to Moses. So...) movie.

Anyway, view, if you choose to do so, at your own risk. DO come back and tell us what you thought, though. Without giving anything away, of course, at least for a few months (in case someone hasn't seen it, yet).

Peace to you ALL!

A slave of Christ,

Shellamar, who, after seeing the flick, doesn't wonder why there were protests... although she might not agree with some of the bases for them...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:08 pm 

LOL... your description of how you feel about bible based movies is exactly how i feel about them. I did not want to see this one, just based on the preview. Like wha...?????!!! But then, from what I read, Ridley Scott attempted some scientific explanations for the ten plagues, and I thought that might be interesting to see what he came up with. Still... is that worth the discomfort of sitting through that movie wanting to shout out what is wrong with it, in the theater, lol? Probably not to the people sharing the theater with me, at the least ; )

I recorded the Red Tent (if it is only two parts). Watched the first ten minutes (about Rachel/Leah/Jacob), but had a bit of trouble with that and turned it off. I will probably pick it back up though when I have time to watch it. You do have to ignore that Rachel/Leah/Dinah/etc... are all British, mind you, lol. But I am interested in the Dinah part of the story though (part two of my recording), because I LIKE what the author did with her story, at least from what I have heard about it. It does not have a 'wrong' feeling to it.

Peace to you (and hubby),
your sister and servant, and fellow slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:57 am 

I don't like bible based Movies much either. They are never depicted correctly. I will remember never to download that movie.

I did record the two 2 hour long episodes of The Red Tent. I watched 10 minutes and left it to watch later when I had nothing else to watch. I have the book and really struggled with it too, never finished it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:37 pm 

Yes! I saw the movie. I hated it! It was pathetic in almost every way. But not only was it pathetic--it was also blasphemous in a very specific one-of-the-ten-commandment ways, one of the first five to be more telling. I won't say which of the first five. I'll leave it at that for those who want to see it.

--Armando

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 am 

Okay, I have not seen it, so I am just going to talk about something I did not like from the previews.

First, Moses and the Israelites (in the previews) seem to be waging battle with the Egyptian army pursuing them. What? Isn't the point that God led them out of Egypt and protected them from the army of Pharaoh? They did not have to fight that battle; they just had to do as God told them to do? He fought FOR them?

Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to stand still."

Then God told Moses to bring the Israelites through the sea. And also the pillar of cloud came between the two armies, separating them so that neither could come near the other.

Was Aaron in the movie? The 'Ten Commandments' left his role out (if I am remember that movie correctly).

Anyway, rant over, lol.

Peace to you,
your sister and servant, and fellow slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:24 pm 

LOL.....

I have not seen it either but....

Was it me or did Moses seem like an angry vengeful person in the previews? Verses relying on Jah to deliver them?

Ooh well, not sure if I'll see it. Maybe a rental?
Peace, Kim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:00 pm 

The Pillar of Cloud and the Pillar of Fire were entirely left out! There was no "parting" of the Red Sea! There was no "dry ground" to walk upon. Guess who wrote the 10 Commandments? It was a pathetic film.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:55 pm 

From the reviews I've seen, nobody liked it. On one hand are complaints that it bears little resemblance to the book of Exodus, on the other hand are complaints about white faces playing the parts of the Israelites (Semites) and upper-class Egyptians, while dark faces play slaves and villains.

I'll save my money for part 3 of the Hobbit--at least the story line is recognizable, despite artistic license.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 pm 

Well, since you asked (I know, no one did so SPOILER ALERT!!... and peace to you all):

Quote:
First, Moses and the Israelites (in the previews) seem to be waging battle with the Egyptian army pursuing them.

Girrrrrrrrl... Moses was... wait for it... a GENERAL... WAIT for it... in Pharaoh's army!! A FAMOUS general, at that! Wait, maybe not a general... no, he was a general (I think). Had to be, because he was one of Pharaoh's military "advisers." No, seriously...

So, while they didn't actually wage war with the Egyptians, they did have him waging war with the Hittites on BEHALF of Egypt. Wait... not only that (ummmm... the Hittites didn't even come into the picture until AFTER Moses, SFTER they crossed the Red Sea... which "crossing" was another travesty - did ya'll know that Moses got caught in the sea WITH Pharaoh??? AND, while didn't drown but washed up on the shore... PHARAOH DIDN'T DROWN, EITHER??! Although he was at the HEAD of his army... and those of his army who turned BACK drowned??? How did the men at the BACK of the column drown because of NOT making it back to shore... yet Pharaoh, who was FARTHEST out INTO the sea... made it back?? Not only made it back... but didn't even look waterlogged????)... but he actually SAVED Pharaoh from being KILLED by the Hittites. No, wait... he was among the LEAD Egyptians who attacked the HITTITES. Not the other way around. Moses... was a SOLDIER, ya'll!

And... he didn't know he was a Hebrew... until he was a grown man. AND... he didn't kill an Egyptian for beating a Hebrew: he killed one of TWO... for (mistakenly, in his eyes) calling him a "slave." He was ticked off that a couple of Egyptians MISTOOK him for a Hebrew slave... after he secretly met with some Hebrews, including Nun, the father of Joshua... who tried to tell him he WAS a Hebrew.

I digress... for now...

Quote:
What? Isn't the point that God led them out of Egypt and protected them from the army of Pharaoh? They did not have to fight that battle; they just had to do as God told them to do? He fought FOR them?

Well, see, now... "God"... was a... wait for it... little boy. The reviews said "11 year-old" little boy. Who SEEMED to be ticked off and handling that ticked-offed-ness LIKE a little boy. Although, most of what he said WAS pretty pie-yow-in-YOUR-face-Moses-ish.

Quote:
Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to stand still."

Ummmm, yeah... no. Not in this flick. Not even close. There were plagues, but none were miraculous. For example, the reason the Nile turned to blood was because the alligators (yes, alligators, NOT crocodiles... which is STUPID... because there are no alligators in the Nile, only CROCODILES... and they are NOT the same thing!)... were pretty big and there were a lot of them and so when they killed humans (on boats, "Jaws" style), all the blood caused them to turn on one another... "shark" style. So, the Nile became FILLED with blood (of men and alligators)... not TURNED INTO blood. Big difference.

Quote:
Then God told Moses to bring the Israelites through the sea.

Oh, THAT part (pun totally intended) was interesting. Because there WAS no parting (of the sea). No, in THIS "version", the current changed and the tide went out. Sort of seasonally. Funny thing... it came back... as a tidal wave (that almost killed Moses... and DIDN'T kill Pharaoh).

Quote:
And also the pillar of cloud came between the two armies, separating them so that neither could come near the other.

No pillars. No clouds. No staffs that turned into snakes/serpents. Wait. No staff. Not a one. Nope, THIS "Moses" threw his EGYPTIAN GENERAL SWORD into the Red Sea.

Quote:
Was Aaron in the movie?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Oh, yeah, he had a small part. I think his longest line was, to his son, "This is your famous uncle, Moses." But going before Pharaoh? Nope. Asking Pharaoh to let Israel go free... to worship JAH in the wilderness? Nope. Pharaoh saying he didn't know JAH/God? Uh-uh. In fact, Moses was the one with the conflict (between him and God). Moses didn't even believe in God - his Midianite wife, Zipporah, who believed in "Allah" did.

Oh, and his young son is the one who told him about God being up in/on Mt. Sinai... which Moses didn't believe... but for some reason decided to go up and "challenge" this "God" himself. To the point that the "mountain" tried to kill him (tossed him and some sheep back down), so that when "God" finally DID call his name ("God" being an 11-year-old boy standing in the VICINITY of a "burning" bush, but nothing and no one was IN the bush)... he was lying on his back, up to his chin in mud. No "Take off your shoes; this is holy ground." No hiding in the crag. No glory of JAH going back and forth...

Quote:
The 'Ten Commandments' left his role out (if I am remember that movie correctly).

So did this movie. Oh, yeah, and as dear Armand shared (peace, luv!)... Moses "wrote" the ten commandments. Carved them himself with a chisel and awl... while the little boy "God" watched over him. When he deigned to complai... ummm, question... it, "God" asked him if he would CHANGE any of the laws. Moses responded... by continuing to chisel.

THEN... when he was old (oh, he was about 30-40 when all of this took place - NOT 80+)... he transported the tablets... wait for it... in a plain old wooden box... on a cart pulled by oxen. No ark of the Covenant (i.e., gold covered, cherubs, poles...). No priests. No having the ark travel AT LEAST two miles ahead of the people... for THEIR safety...

No, ma'am. I felt like Camille Cosby: "This is a man I don't know." LOLOLOL!

Quote:
Anyway, rant over, lol.

Well, if that was your rant, luv... you might want to skip this movie - LOLOLOLOL! 'Cause we might hear you screamin' from here, if you see it - LOLOLOL!

Peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:46 am 

Well WHewwwww......

Maybe not even worth a redbox ( 1.30$) rental LOLOL......

Thanks for all the rants.....

Peace, Kim