xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:06 am 

Quote:
I love anything to do with historical fiction

I am currently reading the historical novel "Tallgrass" by Don Coldsmith, dear Zoe (good day and peace to you!). He is a FANTASTIC writer whose works deal primarily with early Native Americans, starting with their first encounter with the Spanish ("Tale of the Spanish Bit")... and then succeeding generations. They also include tales related to early (pre-colonial) America, as far back as when the Norse and Swedes came. ALL, however, are fascinating reads and give one great insight into the thinking, cultures, customs, and traditions of various Native American nations/tribes, as well as some of the Europeans (Spanish, French, Norse, Swede, etc.).

Here is a link to some information about him and his bibliography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Coldsmith

I love the page's very accurate quote about him:

Quote:
"His 'Spanish Bit Saga, a series of related novels, helped to re-define the Western novel by adopting the point of view of the Native Americans, rather than the European immigrants." (Emphasis mine.)

Hubby and I (and other family members we've loaned our collection to) have read the entire Spanish Bit Saga series. Hubby has also read all of Coldsmith's other novels. I am currently working on his historical novel series (have read "Runestone" - LOVED it -and am on "Tallgrass" now, and loving IT!). Just before, I finished the Spanish Bit spinoff, "Changing Wind" (loved that, too! LOLOL!)... and will get to the other two soon. I recently sent my son copies of 5 "Spanish Bit" saga tales (you can find some of them pretty cheap at used books stores).

Anyway, if you like historical fiction... I think you will LOVE these. His style is easy prose but, as the Wiki page states, doesn't take away from the stories. They really are GREAT reading... so any of you avid bibliophiles out there, check Mr. Coldsmith's stuff out! He is NOT Louis L'Amour; IMHO, he's better!

Okay, 'nough about that - LOLOL!

Peace, dear one... and hope you have a GREAT day/week!

Shellama... on her own...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:39 am 

I like Western novels if they are well-written.

One of my very favourite authors I forgot to mentkion in my earlier post was Tony Hillerman, whose novels are mainly set among the Navajo and the Navajo police. Fantastic scene-setting, great writing, and very clever construcxtion of a whodunit!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 am 

Thanks for that, dear Char (again, peace to you!). I will look into Mr. Hillerman's stuff!

Peace!

Shellama

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:49 pm 

Historical fiction with dragons ;)

Naomi Novak.

Temerlaire series

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:44 pm 

Quote:
Historical fiction with dragons

Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me! (SA waves hand wildly in the air)

I know a WONDERFUL authoress of a fiction with dragons, dear Pup (peace to you!). Not sure if it's historical, but it a GREAT read!). I will check with her and see if it's okay to mention her book here. She's (slowly) working on a sequel which I can't wait to read, but I want to let her know what "kind" of folks I might be mentioning her work to before I do so. If she okay's it, I'll post about it.

Peace!

Shellama, on her own...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:44 am 

What kind of folks?

That would suggest we were all of one kind here, wouldn't it?

Hmmmm.... Think you're a bit off the mark there, Shel! ;)

( Why do some smileys work for some people but others of us have to make do with squares containing punctuation symbols?!)

(Not a serious question!)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:55 am 

My mistake;)

It's Naomi Novik

The Temeraire series takes place in historic England where they battle Napoleon ;) both sides have dragons which fight for them with dragon riders. One book deals with the dragons of China, Turkey, etc ;)

I am interested in your friend's work ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:46 am 

Do you know the Anne McCaffrey dragon rider books? Kind of sci-fi with the flavour of history. I love them. She's been succeeded by her son Todd who took over as her health failed, but she was a prolific sci-fi writer and the dragon books, set in a fictional planet PERN, are worth a look.

Good storyline, good construction of a fictional world (in a galaxy far, far away though not a long time ago!) good characterisation.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 am 

I am currently reading:
The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach by Michael R. Licona

Yep, this is what I read for fun.
>:)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:15 am 

Quote:
What kind of folks?

We are a kind of a "kind" here, dear Char (good morning, and peace to you!), in light of the book I am thinking of, but a good "kind." :D Absolutely NO need to read anything untoward in my words, dear one. I was just trying to look out for both: those here and my dear authoress friend, is all.

Peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellama

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 pm 

I was actually teasing you there, Shel, in the nicest possible way! :D

Nothing serious!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm 

And then, of course, there's The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. An absolutely brilliant read. . . .

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:09 pm 

Oh we mostly know who the authoress is that you speak of Shelby lol. She has told most of us about it though I think her book isn't easily available right now.

Char the smilies still don't work here, I am surprised how slow tecnical support is or this forum, mine gets back to me within a few hours all the time. I am copying smilies from other forums here to spice up my posts if you are referring to the ones I posted.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 pm 

Ahh the DragonRiders of Pern ;) I read that while I was in middle school :)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:59 pm 

Quote:
I was actually teasing you there, Shel, in the nicest possible way! Nothing serious!

Then MY sincere apologies, dear Char (peace to you!). Perhaps I'm a little "on edge"... without real reason to be, so I will "check" that - LOLOLOL!

And you guessed it, dear Zoe (peace to you, as well!): I was speaking of "Breath of Fire" by Tammy Kane, who is our own dear Tec (peace to you, too, luv!). I am not really a "Clan of the Cave Bear" kind of gal but I have to say I LOVED dear tec's book... and keep encouraging her to get movin' on the sequel (ya'll who've read it can see there MUST be a sequel, right?). It has some "racy" parts, though (which is why I stated "kind" here, dear Char), just so's folks know. Nothing I think anyone can handle... but given the JW background... who knows?

Ennyway, chikkens... if you haven't read "Breath of Fire"... and you're into the "dragon" thing (SA winks at the dear Debil Dog - peace to you!), consider contacting our dear Administrator and asking for a copy. VERY fun read... that shows dragons in a MUCH different light than, say, some religious folk! LOLOLOL!

Peace!

Shellama, on her own... and giving kudos and a shout out to our dear tec-girl!