xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:37 pm 

So... I think the thread title says it all

I just finished The Passage, by Justin Cronin. Wrote about it on another thread. Great book, great story, great writing style that keeps you interested too, especially since it is such a long book.

What are you reading?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 pm 

LEANN SAID:

currently reading Anatomy and Physiology 9th edition.

Unless your a nerd like me wouldn't recommend it. But when I get time to read something other than a textbook I plan on trying to read the Girl with the dragon tattoo series.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 pm 

AGUEST SAID:

Okay, another AGuest "tangent" coming (LOL and peace to you all!):

I actually haven't finished reading one of the BEST books I've ever read (and I stopped some years ago!). It is "The Journeyer", by Gary Jennings (deceased). It is the historically fictional tale of the journey of Marco Polo, told in first person... and very graphically (but poignantly) depicting life in the times of the real journey. Everything from life in Europe... to life in the East... to primitive life in the jungle, etc. You WILL not be able to put it down... unless, like me... you just can't deal with the very "real" way he tells the story - I was enraptured until I came to an account about half way through about a little boy I had grown to "love" and his demise. The account not only haunted me for WEEKS... but is the reason I cannot pick up the book again yet to this day. I just don't have the courage, yet. I "knew" this little boy and so what happened to him was as if it happened to my own child. I WILL finish this book one day, though - I vow it.

Mr. Jennings also wrote two other epics: Aztec (which I believe was the brainchild for Apocalypto but, per hubby, "WAY betta'!"... and "Raptor", which I understand is use as good.

Mr. Jennings style of writing puts you there, centuries ago, in every way: sight, sound, smell, taste, touch. His writing reaches EVERY empirical sense you possess. And so, if you undertake to read his books... be warned: you will NOT be the same afterward. You can't be.

My favorite genre, in film and literature, is historical fiction and so I things like Ken Folette's "Pillars of the Earth," "A World Without End," and a couple/few others by him, too. I don't care for his more modern espionage writings (I do like Steven Cannell, though!).

If you like SHORT books, or are into early western writings (a la Louie L'Amour), then the "Tale of the Spanish Bit" series by Don Coldsmith is fantastic! Approx. 20 short novelettes, these tell the tale from a native American perspective, starting off with one Spanish conquistador being captured by a fairly peaceful tribe and coming to be a part of their family (if I didn't know any better, I would say the author of "Dances with Wolves" got his premise from this series).

Ennywho... those are SOME of the best books I've read. I've read so many that I really can't see how I can truthfully say "THIS one is my favorite/the best." Different genres have different "bests", so...

I LOVE though, that we can recommend good reads to one another! I know dear hubby appreciates!

Peace!

SA, on her own...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 pm 

ANTHONY SAID:

I cannot recommend FOREST LIFE enough. It is brand new from Shane Crash. You can read my lengthy review here. In short, it is about a man that retreats to the woods to drink himself to death and contemplate god. He meets a young lady who attempts to bring him back to life through her love. Very moving without any preachy, religious overtones. It is available online on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 pm 

AGUEST SAID:

VERY cool website, dear Ant! Peace to you!

SA, on her own...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 pm 

MEDEWTYSENU SAID:

I just finished reading "Chiefs" by Stuart Woods which was made into a six-hour television miniseries, which starred Charlton Heston, Billy Dee Williams, John Goodman, Brad Davis, Tess Harper, Danny Glover, Paul Sorvino, Stephen Collins, and Victoria Tennant. It was filmed in my adoptive home town of Chester, SC (some of my relatives are in the film).
Chiefs is the first novel in the Will Lee series by Stuart Woods. It was first published in 1981 by W. W. Norton & Company. The novel takes place in the fictional town of Delano, Georgia, over three generations, as three different police chiefs attempt to identify a serial killer operating in the area. It is Woods' first published novel. As the author explains in a note, it was inspired by the story of his grandfather's death while serving as a police chief.

If I can check it out (owe some fines) I may read "Watership Down" by Richard Adams next as it was a favorite of mine as a child. I also liked the movie and music from the made for TV movie.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:13 am 

I have always read a lot. Before I retired, I worked in the county jail midnights and could read about 5 to 6 hours a night. Now that I am retired I have more time but can't read as much.
I am currently reading "Psychology" by David G. Myers, a college textbook and "Who made God" edited by Ravi Zacharias and Norman Geisler, it is a Christian book. It answers over 100 tough questions of faith, such as What is God's purpose in allowing evil, where did the universe come from, does the bible have errors in it.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:06 am 

I love reading, now that it's summer I will be doing a lot more of it sitting outside on my back deck.
I am more into Fiction than nonfiction. I do love true stories about peoples lives too. I have read quite a few of those lately.
The last one was about the girl who escaped from the Scientology church cult not long ago. I need to go and look up the name of her book.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm 

Bernard Cornwell. Anything by him. I'm currently reading the last pages of his 1356.

Likewise, anything by Conn Iggulden and Arnaldur Indridason.

Paul Doherty too. Brilliant historical detective books, set in Ancient Egypt, Rome and mediaeval England but other countries and times too. Also historical non-fiction.

Also, anything by Alexander McCall Smith. Wonderful, sane, civilised, intelligent, perceptive author, with a deep love of Scotland and a brilliant command of the English language, as have the other authors above, with the exception of Indridason whose excellent detective novels are set in Iceland and translated from the Icelandic superbly into English.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:51 pm 

Devouring books by C.S. Lewis, now currently reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (Unabridged), monster of a book (at least for me)! basically deals about the ignored, weak elements of the society - convicts, orphans, prostitutes, beggars, nuns, rogues, etc in the 19th century setting, and the need to show compassion, understanding, and forgiveness.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:24 pm 

Leann said (a whole month ago): Anatomy and Physiology, 9th edition.

Is it Tortora and Grabowski? I loved that book!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:29 pm 

Well, I am reading World War Z :D

I gotta tell ya... it is SO interesting. Yeah, its zombies... (and I do like the zombie stuff)... but the book itself is tons of various testimonies from different people in different parts of the world, and from all cultures, regarding the war and steps they took, and the cultural outlooks from each one.

It has references to past actual wars, and the views of different cultures/countries on them as well. It is an intriguing book... mainly because it is from the pov of all cultures and countries. The movie is Brad Pitt, and is going to be from a western pov (from the previews)... but the book holds them all, including various opinions on other cultures.

It is quite intriguing, and i am enjoying it a lot.

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:47 pm 

tec wrote:
Well, I am reading World War Z :D

I gotta tell ya... it is SO interesting. Yeah, its zombies... (and I do like the zombie stuff)... but the book itself is tons of various testimonies from different people in different parts of the world, and from all cultures, regarding the war and steps they took, and the cultural outlooks from each one.

It has references to past actual wars, and the views of different cultures/countries on them as well. It is an intriguing book... mainly because it is from the pov of all cultures and countries. The movie is Brad Pitt, and is going to be from a western pov (from the previews)... but the book holds them all, including various opinions on other cultures.

It is quite intriguing, and i am enjoying it a lot.

Peace,
tammy

Ah when Zombies arise... Nothing beats a Nuclear submarine :)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:04 pm 

I haven't finished yet... but yeah ;)

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:40 am 

I need to find some new books to read, everything I have right now is kind of shallow, I have James Patterson books galore and John Grisholm but I want something really GOOD.
I love Ken Follett's writings, anything he writes is fantastic. His last book was Winter of the World which really brings life post WW2 to life, the book before that Fall of Giants was all about life of several people in various areas of the world affected by the war. I loved his historical fiction the most and Pillars of the Earth was fantastic.

I read Poisonwood bible by Barbara Kingsolver 2 times, excellent excellent book.
The Poisonwood Bible is a story told by the wife and four daughters of Nathan Price, a fierce, evangelical Baptist who takes his family and mission to the Belgian Congo in 1959. They carry with them everything they believe they will need from home, but soon find that all of it -- from garden seeds to Scripture -- is calamitously transformed on African soil.

I love anything to do with historical fiction but especially British fiction and the kings and royalty and the people involved in their life.

I love true stories of peoples lives and experiences. Examples:
Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill. Amazing inside look at what that religion is really like.

I am reading garbage now, need to find something really good. Eagerly watching this thread for suggestions.