xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:21 pm 

I'm with you Tammy...

It's just so expensive the whole movie experience and I have sorta been disappointed with the last few movies I've seen.

Gonna start being really choosy about the movies and just be a little patient and wait until they come out in " red box". Then they are only a buck and the whole family can enjoy real CHEAP!
And I ALWAYS have popcorn in the house LOL!
The perk is we have a big flat panel that is my sons, so the whole movie experience is way cool!

Justmom g:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:40 am 

tec wrote:
Char, would that be like a personal touch, old-fashioned kind of cinema? That would be cool.

Well, possibly, Tammy, but I am not really sure I know what your cinemas are actually like, so I don't properly know what you think of as an old fashioned cinema.

It has three screens, two of them in fairly small rooms, the biggest one is the one with the wheelchair space described above. Some of the decor in that one remains the original decor from when the place was first built which was before the First World War, so I suppose that would qualify for old fashioned, but all the seating and facilities are very up to date, plus the screen and sound etc. So it's lovely, and very popular, restaurant, takeaway, very nice. Small, because I don't live in a city.

I have a feeling that most of you in the US (apart from Zoe because we've seen photos and Outlaw who lives in a forest, it seems to me,) live in cities. But I don't know. I suspect American culture is more different from ours than people think. Sometimes there is mention of things that I don't properly understand, but that could be just me being older, I just don't know!

I'd feel the same thing maybe in a UK city. Have to say, I prefer the country!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 am 

Oh Chariklo we have theaters like you describe where i live, small ones that go way back to the 50's but have been renovated inside. There is one in the nearest town to us but the parking is in the downtown area (small town) which makes it hard to find something wheelchair accessible for parking. They are stingy with them.

There is one in a really small town called Kinmount with lots of parking that is quite popular and caters to the cottagers who come up to the lakes in the summer. That one is seasonal and they don't offer the newest movies. Apparently this one is very popular though but we just never got there even though its close by. Here is the website for it and it sounds like something you have Chariklo, very charming.
http://highlandscinemas.com/aboutus.php

I guess we should try a movie theater out but I am dependent on John and he doesn't like dealing with the wheelchair thing or the traffic to get there andthe parking, he gets extremely stressed and then doesn't enjoy things so then I don't enjoy it either.

In the bigger cities we have (the same as the USA) Imax which are big cinema complexes with several movies available in them. They have various size theaters inside and all are probably wheelchair accessible. I have been to the movie theater in Florida when I visit there, they aren't even as nice as our ultra modern HUGE places here in the area I live in which is near Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Here is one near where I used to live, it has 19 screening rooms, OMG

I

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:29 am 

Yep, that does sound like what I was thinking about, Char : )

Most of ours are huge. The one in the mall (west edmonton mall; major attraction here) has a fire-breathing dragon. People go to the mall just to bring their kids to see it, even though it has the opposite effect of keeping some people with kids AWAY from the movies there, lol. I took mine to see it (my first time also).... oh my. No more going back when it was operating. There is music leading up to the event, and they dim the lights, and then you get lightning and thunder, and a roar, and the finale is the fire shooting out of its mouth. Very hot! But by the music, you know that it is about to perform... so if my son heard that music, he planted his feet and would go no closer! (not anymore, this was when he was younger)

Later when he was okay with it, we were at the top of the escalator (because the dragon hangs from the ceiling), and the show was going on. Well, some guy was riding the escalator up. He was bald. He obviously also knew nothing about the dragon ; ) Well, the time came for the fire, and believe me, the air around the fire is HOT. I was watching the guy on the escalator because I knew what was coming. The fire came shooting out... he covered his head and ducked. Since he was bald, I can just imagine the heat on the top of his head and the crazy things going through his mind at that moment. Of course he was laughing after, I assume once he realized he was not about to die ; )

Peace!

tammy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:54 am 

Tec, that dragon sounds awesome, I don't think they had that there when I visited your Mall, that was around 1990.

Here is the dragon at Tammys Imax

Here is Tammys Imax at the West Edmonton Mall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:57 am 

Yep! I've only been in Edmonton since 2003, so I'm not sure when he was put in. Now, picture a diagonal coming up toward and under that fire, and that would be the escalator.

The dragon has been under repairs for the past little while. Honestly, while totally awesome, lol... I do not see how that fire is safe. But as far as I know, never a mishap.

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:01 am 

Here is a video of the Dragon show at Tammys mall, awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO04yd4qjyc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:22 pm 

Extraordinary! I've never seen anything like it!

Mind you, in this country, I don't think the dragon (great dragon!) would get past our current very restrictive Health and Safety regulations!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:20 pm 

Thanks for posting those, Zoe : )

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:35 pm 

*warnings... couple of spoilers on technical things for the rest of this page, and some of the next... just letting ya's know!*

Saw Man of Steel today. QUITE enjoyed it. Teared up a couple of times, just because of some powerful moments. (someone posted somewhere that the music does that to you more than the actual scene or words, and i believe it, but still, lol)

I don't like to say more than that, because I don't like to give anything away. Just sharin'

Peace!

tammy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:23 pm 

How does superman fly???

I can understand him being stronger... I can somewhat accept the lasers out of his eyes... But how does superhuman strenght enable him to combat gravity and fly? Also to actually accelerate while in flight? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:34 pm 

They show it... so that I get the sense that I should understand why... but I do not, lol. They did not explain it in words. He could push against gravity is what it looked like at the start, and he advanced from there.

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:44 pm 

Also the physics were all wrong ;p

But it was entertaining ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:51 pm 

Oh, you saw it, lol.

Well never mind then.

Why can you accept the lasers, more than the flying? Just curious.

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:01 pm 

The lasers from the eyes were a stretch still lol but the explanation of Clark absorbing all the sun's radiation for the past 30 years makes it plausible. But that was gone after Zod got laser eyes after just a day ;P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next