xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:15 am 

I've been out for over 2 years now.

While I was in I used to see the brothers and sisters out and about at a store, restaurant, field service car groups, etc... These days it is extremely rare that I will spot a familiar face. And I keep a lookout for them. I WANT to greet them - and have on a couple of occasions.

Right before I left, there were three halls with two congregations each playing musical congregation assignments. It was a bit of a fiasco but it introduced me to about 400 faces that I would probably recognize out and about.

I'm not seeing them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 am 

I live in the suburbs of an English city. About 5 years ago they used to work this territory every couple of months, now it's probably once a year at most, and I don't see any car groups around at all. "Oh the times they are achangin' "...

Loz x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:34 am 

All too many going strong round here. A couple of days ago the car park had a whole huddle of them down one end when I arrived. I was pleased tht by the time I'd bought my ticket from the machine the last of them were heading out, two by two, crossing the road to a large housing estate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:18 am 

I have been in this house for 2 years and home most of the time. I never saw any witnesses until March when they stuck a memorial invite in the door. They didn't knock but the dog alerted me. I got to the door and they were gone to the road by then. I called to them but they didn't want to come back and just shouted to read the tract. I am in the country and the Hall is 25 minute drive from here.

My last house they came to the door 2 times in 7 years and my John scared them away the last time. I would have like to have talked to them myself. He hates them now that he knows what they are like when we dealt with them when my Mom was dying.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:05 am 

We see them all the time here (peace to you, all!). In our immediate neighborhood, on our actual street, at our door... out on the broadway (main surface street a couple blocks away)... in other neighborhoods... in the shopping/strip malls... parking lots...

BUT, I will say this, and I mean NO offense to ANYONE: they're either black... or Mexican/Hispanic. I have not seen a white JW... outside of a Kingdom Hall... in close to a decade. The last ones I saw were two (or maybe three) at a table in the Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton. It was before we moved into our house, which was 9 years ago. Since that time, I've ONLY seen African American and Hispanic men, women, and children.

Again, no offense. Just curious.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

Shellama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:12 am 

They are out and about here. They don't come to the house, because my husband has made it clear that they are not allowed to... disregarding the religion for a moment, he also used to work nights and they always woke him up, as i was at work.

But I do see them out and about, and they did come to invite me to the memorial. They are in this neighborhood a couple of times a week also. I THINK our neighbors might actually be witnesses (or studying with them), but I am not positive. The subject has not ever come up, and their little boy plays with my son, and they have guns and he does karate and stuff, and I thought that wasn't allowed if you are a witness? My husband thinks they are, and that it made it easier for them to come to this country (from russia... or somewhere in russia)

My other neighbors are Catholic ; )

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:53 am 

I see them about every other time that I go to the local coffee house for breakfast on Saturdays. Break time "apparently" is 11:00. This is a small town, with few places to stop for a snack, so the coffee shop is the usual choice. Most of the Witnesses I see there are cordial, and will say hello (it helps that I am a non-believing ex-spouse-of-JW, not among the DF'ed).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:19 pm 

I guess they are hang out in more convenient populated areas where it's close to coffee shops and restaurants. Those of us who live in the country are not as important to hear about the truth lol.
I don't mind at all if they don't come around.
Our new place is even more remote, it's on the water on a peninsula and mostly occupied by cottagers, summer time only. Its summer vacation oriented and most of the folks here have permanent residences in the bigger cities like Toronto.

When I lived in Toronto they came to the door once every 6 months or so. The ones that came were Chinese woman mostly, no white people either. The kingdom hall was in a Chinese area and was for the Chinese JWs about 8 blocks from my house.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:58 pm 

Not me, Zoe, not a city within many many miles near me!

We have an abundance of JW's, though!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:57 pm 

AGuest wrote:
BUT, I will say this, and I mean NO offense to ANYONE: they're either black... or Mexican/Hispanic. I have not seen a white JW...

That's gotta be just demographics.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:03 pm 

Perhaps, dear WS (peace to you!). I do live in Oakland Cali and the nearest KH is apparently AA and Hispanic congos; however, we do venture out of 'hood from time to time (actually, every day: the 'hood is a right turn... but we only see JWs when we go left, into the old bedroom community there. We NEVER see 'em when we go right (i.e., into the 'hood) except coming and going from the KH there...

My neighborhood is actually pretty evenly mixed white, black, hispanic, gay... and my experience has been that even the AA congos have at least a couple/few white families and almost always someone white on the BOE, including the COBE (although not always).

I have been known to frequest a posh shopping mall or two from time to time. Although, since I don't particularly like shopping, not often and so could be I'm just missing THEIR JWs... LOLOLOL!

Again, didn't mean anything by it or to offend anyone. Just remember one JWN poster commenting on how the WTBTS was becoming a "black" religion. Until she said that I'd never really even noticed. Not saying she was right, but it does come to my mind when I see the JWs I do.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

Shellama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:13 pm 

That's interesting Shelb for a big city like San Fran, not trying to turn this into an "Al Sharpton thread" but here in NYC the majority of the Dubs I see, even in midtown subway stations are African Americans, very rarely do I see white JDubs doing the set up tables in the stations here which seem to be the new thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:26 pm 

That's what I'm sayin', dear Miz Shirl (hey, girl! Peace to you, chile'!). I forgot that that was the case when I was in NYC... AND Virginia last year! Again, it picqued my mind because of what that poster stated.

Peace... and when you comin' out for a visit, sistah?? Tag... YOU'RE IT!

Shellama, on her own...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:46 pm 

Don't see hardly any as I am in a gated community with no soliciting.
But they are set at all times in the mall with their booth with 2-3 JWs sitting around talking to no one yet counting hours x 2 or 3. LOLOL! :8O

Now that's the way to pioneer!!!

Justmom