xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:28 am 

AGUEST SAID

Greetings, and peace to you all!

I have the opportunity to go to Africa at some point in the next few months or so... and I am SO excited! As some of you know, I recently visited family back east, including our "family" church (St. Matthew's Lutheran Church) in Virginia. Now, I am going on a bit of a pilgrimage to where some of my folks may have originated... and I am SO excited! And... JUSTMOM is going with ME!! WHOO-HOOO! We are planning to visit Ethiopia and perhaps find my Jewish roots there (http://robtshepherd.tripod.com/falasha.html)! As some may remember, I signed out of a post on another site as a "Cushitess." That's because in the Bible, "Cush/Kush" is Ethiopia, where perhaps some of my people are from.

We will get to see some FANTASTIC things including, hopefully, perhaps the Ark of the Covenant (well, the little church it's supposed to be in - apparently, no one can actually SEE it, but that's okay!), if we can work that into our trip!

If you've ever been to that region, I would LOVE to hear about it! I am a bit nervous, but not really - Ethiopia is a U.S. ally and I also have a former employee from there who might be able to help with trip planning. I am hoping to stay at a resort there (plans aren't quite finalized, yet)... which looks LOVELY! So... just wanted to share that and see if anyone has any travel "tips" we might need.

Peace!

YSSFS of Christ,

SA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:29 am 
Site Admin

SAB SAID

That's so cool Shelby! It sounds like an epic adventure! I have never really traveled. I live in a box!

-Sab

Site Admin

LOZ SAID

I've been to Morocco briefly, when I was on a cruise around the Canaries. It was interesting but brief. What do I remember ? It's very dirty! And there is a fancy rich side of it all and a terribly poor side, but really really poor.

Hubby and I went on a Nile cruise on our honeymoon. That was really amazing. We toured the Valley of the Kings and went into the tombs etc. it was something else to be on the Nile and hear the Muslim calls to prayer at set times. Haunting. I should put some pics up really.

Loz x

Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

Oooh, the Valley of the Kings, dear Loz (peace, chile'!)? How "sphinx-y"! I would LOVE to do that!

Thanks for sharing and yes, pictures, please!

Peace!

SA, on her own...

Site Admin

TEC SAID

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:34 pm Post subject:
I agree with Sab. Sounds like an epic adventure. Valley of Kings sounds pretty awesome... makes me think of Lord of the Rings though

Peace,
tammy

Site Admin

LOZ SAID

It was really incredible. I will post some pics but I have to upload them to the photoshop from hubby's laptop and then to here, so I'll do that when I get chance and time.

Loz x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 am 
Site Admin

CHARIKLO SAID

Oh, Shel, how exciting!

The Valley of the Kings and Luxor, in Egypt, and of course the Pyramids, and then the Blue Nile, the Queen of Sheba, and the wonders and treasures of the Ethipian Orthodox Church... Debre Damon monastery where you can only get in my being pulled up by a monk on a plaited leather rope...but that's a no-go for you, no women allowed! But the ancient churches cut out of the rock, manuscripts, so much history there.

Wonderful!

Will you be able to write a blog, with photos, I wonder?

Site Admin

OUTLAW SAID

Tell Tarzan OUTLAW says Hi!..

......................................OUTLAW

Site Admin

ZOE SAID

Awesome AGuest!

I have never been to Africa, I think this is so exciting. I hope you will share your trip with us so we can at least live vicariously through you.

Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

I will certainly share the experience... and photos... with you all (peace to you all!). Not sure I can/will do a blog, dear Char (peace!); not sure how to do one.

All of this hinges on our getting our plans together... and conditions in the region (we are monitoring the state department site given concerns occurring in the surrounding countries), but as far as we know it's all good, so..

Will tell you ALL about it when we get back. May also post planning progress prior to. We'll see.

But thanks for the kind words and... peace to you all!

YSSFS of Christ,

SA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Admin

JUSTMOM SAID

YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Sounds fun huh???!!!!! Little nervous. Way far out of my box but it will definitely be an adventure.

Hubby and I went to Belize little over a year ago with backpacks and roughed it for us. So anything more luxurious that this will be a treat.

Shelby...A resort huh? Niiice. I'm in lol

Loz would love to see some of your pictures and yes Char I did read about that and got excited and then saw " no girls allowed"

Egypt seems to be pretty far north. I would love to go. Not sure if we can.
Maybe????

Want to definelty see the sites and where the ark of the covenant is supposed to be. Ooh my. That's exciting.

For me definitely an educational " field trip ".

Thanks and looking for any advice
Justmom