xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I need to vent a little
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 am 

VOICES SAID

I'm not sure where to go to do this. I don't really have many friends. So I spent a lot of time. A lot of time preparing for the PCP (Palm Court Party) at this college. My girlfriend and I created a flyer and advertized it everywhere. I spent close to 250.00 on this flyer/costume etc.. for my very FIRST DJ performance with some of my own songs. I get up on stage and scream into the microphone 'WHATS UP ______ COLLEGE?!?!?!?!?!?!?! " and start talking to the people a little and got cheers and so forth...and then started playing (See flyer: [/img]https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=c45a9c9fe2&view=att&th=13a988f069f1d849&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h8q17su10&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P81dPuZM_ln04eU0zRlF-zW&sadet=1351485337915&sads=P5ByynjcLfG984Wxtwt0G3p-HOs[img] )

For the First 30 mins, it seemed okay, and everyone was like 'that's awesome man!, cool!~!!~ good job' ......and then some guy came up to me and said 'hey do you have any rap songs?' I told him 'it's comin' up bro' ...and i changed the song to a rap song, and 50% of the people in the room, left.........ALL AT ONCE. it wasn't like 'little here, and little there'......they all basically TURNED AROUND and walked out. It's not a bad rap song, or cuss words or anything, it's actually very popular and people dance to it and everything, but they all LEFT. I tried so hard to get em back with some of my stuff. I spent rest of the night TRYING to get people to come back by playing more dancy/fun songs, and some came back towards the end. One guy even screamed "THANK GOD" when I changed a song to an electronic song. I was like so crushed. Here i was at new college, I spent an extra ordinary amount of time in ADVERTIZING, (see flyer) and everything and making it sound AMAZING and everything and one move and 50% LEFT. I felt so horrible, i basically said 'THANK YOU _______ College" at the end of my set, and left. I was so embarassed and feel like everyone basically began to ridicule me.

I hate being a nurse, and I'm desperately wanting out. This was my very first performance DJing and ...i didn't even get to play my own songs becuause was trying to get people to stay.

this sux[/img]

Site Admin

TEC SAID

Hey Voices. Sorry about your first gig. First time 'anythings' seem to have a lot of hiccups, so while you've earned your venting and feeling bad about tonight, don't let it keep you down. Just pick up, and keep going.

Do you think it was just that most of the crowd objected to rap? Because they liked what you had on at first, and came back when you went back to that sort of thing.

I wouldn't rack my brain over it tonight though. Give yourself a day or so to feel honest disappointment, (and vent all you like) then try and think rationally through what might have happened, then pick up and start again. Perseverance at least as much as anything else brings success.

Peace to you,
tammy

Site Admin

JUSTMOM SAID

Thank you for venting V

I'm sorry for the disappointment. But if this is your passion and it does bring you joy at this time in your life, don't let people stop you. Keep going with it. Many may never have realized how much heart and soul you put into it.
Maybe you can feel out your audience and even ask (I've seen this before) what they would like. Maybe your personal music perform first to set the stage and go from there.
There is always ups and downs and disappointments with this industry and especially differing audiences.
Don't give up!

Thanks for being here with us
justmom

Site Admin

GLADIATOR SAID

Voices before you can succeed on stage you need to attend ‘The school of hard knocks.’ Grow a skin as thick as a rhinoceros and be damn good at what you do. If you are unable to meet these requirements you may have to do what I do. Sit in the audience. All the best with your next gig.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

Absolutely what everyone else said here, dear Voices (the greatest of love and peace to you!):

1. It was your first time and so bound to have some issues;
2. Maybe put out feelers and "know" your audiences next time (notice, I stated "next time"!);
3. Develop a thick(er) skin.

I would bet my eldest child that anyone who is successful in the entertainment "bizness" has experienced something similar (i.e., little or no applause, bad critique, people booing/walking out, etc.) and so would give you this same advice.

Much success to you on your next and subsequent gigs!!

Peace!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA, on her own...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Admin

VOICES SAID

Thank you all for your kind words. I wasn't sure what to make of Hard knocks comment, but i'm presuming like the next sentence says, to get thicker skin. I didn't think 'okay THAT'S IT I quit' ...well once i did, but mostly, thought 'i'm so embarassed.' Feels like high school again, where the cool kids laugh at the losers. Just hit hard like that. I'm still trying to do music. Thank you all for your kind words. Wish I did have thicker skin, and a hard forehead as flint or whatever. But I ask for so much. I should stop.

Me

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:23 am Post subject:
P.s. I love my Traktor S4 =D