xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:38 am 

It sounds like there was a bad earthquake in Napa today. Is everyone okay? Shelby, JustMom? Not sure if it hit SF or not?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:43 am 

Just sent Shelby a msg to her personal email, but then I read that some folks have no power.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:11 am 

Looks like Shelby/JM and sKally would have felt it..
6.0 is strong..

Quote:
By Jim Christie

NAPA Calif. (Reuters) - A 6.0 magnitude earthquake rocked wine country north of San Francisco early on Sunday, injuring dozens of people, two of them seriously, damaging historic buildings, setting some homes on fire and causing power outages around the picturesque town of Napa.
The biggest quake in the region in 25 years jolted many residents out of bed when it hit at 3:20 a.m. local time (1020 GMT), centered 6 miles (10 km) south of the City of Napa, population 77,000.

Two people were seriously injured in the earthquake, Barry Martin, community outreach coordinator for the City of Napa, said by telephone. He said he did not have details on the injuries.

There were no reports of any fatalities, Martin said.
Fire fighters were still trying to put out mobile home fires, he said.
Most damage appeared centered around Napa, a famous wine-producing region and a major tourist destination in northern California.

Brick facades gave way in the historic section of downtown Napa, and bricks fell off a second floor corner of the courthouse, which showed cracks. On the main street, masonry collapsed onto a car.

The City's website said there were some 50 gas line breaks, 30 water line breaks and many broken windows and buildings with interior damage.
The quake knocked out power to about 40,000 homes and businesses in Napa and neighboring cities of Sonoma, St. Helena and Santa Rosa, according to the website for Pacific Gas & Electric.
"Everything was just shaking, the hanging lamps waving back and forth," said Omar Lopez, 24, night clerk at a small inn in St. Helena, 15 minutes outside of Napa.

"Guests came into the front desk after the quake and they said the swimming pool looked like a bunch of people had jumped in at the same time."
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said the epicenter of the quake was five miles (eight km) northwest of the town of American Canyon, on the northern edge of the San Francisco Bay.

'WOKE US ALL UP'
The quake was the largest to hit the Bay Area since the Loma Prieta quake in 1989, which killed a few dozen people and caused heavy damage to buildings.
"It was long. I think it was the biggest one since I felt since I felt the 1989 quake," said Stephanie Martin, 47, a nursing assistant in Oakland, south of the area where the quake was felt more strongly. "Nothing tipped over, thank God. Rolling back and forth. Just woke us all up."

Aaron Moreno, 18, rushed to Lola's Market, the Mexican grocery store where he works in Napa, right after the earthquake to prevent potential looting and to begin cleaning up the mess. He said there were broken wine bottles and glass everywhere and the store would probably be closed for two days.
"Oh I felt it. When I woke up I was lying on the floor. It kicked me out of bed," said Keith, who lives in Napa and wanted to be identified only by his first name.

The quake was followed by small aftershocks.
"It is the strongest quake in a 60-mile (100-km) radius from the epicenter of this quake in several decades," said Randy Baldwin, a USGS geophysicist, "It was a shallow quake and there are lots of aftershocks."

He said most of the aftershocks were around magnitude 2 range. Aftershocks can continue for the next several weeks and experts will watch their distribution to determine if this quake happened on a fault line, Baldwin said.

(Reporting by Fiona Ortiz, Peter Henderson, Andrew Roche and Dan Levine; Writing by Peter Henderson and Dina Kyriakidou; Editing by Frances Kerry and Ross Colvin)

.........................................Image...OUTLAW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:23 am 

Heard from Shelby a few minutes, she'll probably post here about it but she's fine, no damage to her household

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:32 am 

Hey everyone....

I never felt a thing, although I am farther south. I sleep pretty hard most nights in between the hot flashes LOL!

But my middle son is in San Francisco and he said it was the scariest thing he ever felt. It was very strong. They are all okay. I guess Napa valley ( wine country) has a lotta broken wine bottles though LOL...

Thanks for the concern everyone, we all knew we were past due for one this size, even bigger.

The JWs have a new topic for their latest WT to prove Armaggedon is even closer...LOLOLOL....blah, blah, blah....

Love and peace to you all, Kim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:44 am 

Whew glad you are all okay. It looks like lots of damage in Napa but so far no one died. One girl I know that lives down there woke up to her whole house shaking and a heavy lamp beside her bed fell on her head.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:58 am 

Ha! The twins and wendys reading all night long, TUCKER-ed me out!! LOL!! Get it? TUCKER-ed.....LOL!!!

I swear those women love their own regurgitaSHUNS! ::))

Earthquake? What earthquake? LOL! When you listen to suxscreens, you are assured a long nights slumber....lol! NOTHING can Awake! you. ::))

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:58 am 

Nope, not even a 6.0-er...lol.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:09 am 

Hey sKally..

Good..
I`m happy your fine,I was worried..
Lots of damage in other parts of Cali..

..............................Image...OUTLAW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:35 am 

Glad to hear everyone's okay - that's scary.

lol @Skally.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:30 pm 

Glad to hear that everyone is okay!

From what Justmom said on the other thread, I do find it a bit funny that Shelby the light-sleeper, slept through it ; )

We used to get a few small earthquakes when I lived on the east coast. Felt like trembles/vibrations, and I thought they were cool as a kid. But they were small, not even enough to knock something over. Edmonton doesn't get anything like that. Just possible tornados, and some lightning storms (still think those are cool though)

Peace to you all,
your sister and servant, and fellow slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:32 pm 

TOTALLY fine here (peace to you, all!). Stepson said he felt it (pretty good one) but dear hubby and I (and pups i think but due to sleep induced by new "old lady" cream i have NO idea! LOLOL!) slept right through! Absolutely NO idea until I heard from dear Miz Shirley (peace, chile'!).

All's well here... and thanks for everyone's concern!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shelb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:01 pm 

So glad you are all safe and well.

Loz x