xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:47 pm 

this has GOT to be THE noisiest "4th of July" we've ever experienced (peace to you all!). Although, we did go away two years (2011 and 2012) but stayed home last year. And, had we known how much and loud the noise would be... well, that's why we stayed home last year and are again this year. We decided it just wasn't worth the trauma the pups go through (one year, to Liyah's injury after getting out).

But tonight... WHOOO-MAN!! It's like the kids in my neighborhood were either told this was the last year... or this was the last place on earth... for fireworks.

Oh, crud. Gotta go. Gunpowder smell SO strong... Louie just puked. All over Layla, poor things.

Sigh.

And it's not like I can go out and ask those babies to stop their fun.

Sigh.

Peace.

Shellamar... outta here, for tonight, at least...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:12 pm 

Quote:
Louie just puked. All over Layla, poor things.

Oh my. Poor them and you.

We don't get many people shooting off their own fireworks on our Canada Day. I think some one a few blocks over might have shot some off. But for the most part, everyone goes TO the fireworks (or stays home, like we did). So its pretty quiet around here. ZZ hears some things in the distance, but just kind of perks up and jumps on the couch to look out the window.

But I remember that it is awful for your pups. What about the baby? I guess she might just learn from the others to be afraid of the sounds. Tomorrow will be here soon!

Peace to you and to your house,
your sister, and servant, and a fellow slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:02 am 

The baby is fine, luv (peace)! She actually tried to see what the noise is these last few days. As it got louder tonight she got a little anxious but I think she sensed the other pups' anxiety.

Everyone's asleep now. She due to being tired from running around all day and them from the stress. It's still noisy out but not as bad. But they're all exhausted. So are we but ain't no sleeping with all this noise.

Louie is "fine." Everything got cleaned up, he drank some water, and now he's sleeping. Dozing actually. I'm ready to go to bed, though, so...

Peace and nitety-nite, chikkens!

Shellamar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:45 am 

It was quite a loud affair here, too. But, I was so tired from the day, that I was dead to the world by around 10pm. I'm told it went on until sometime after midnight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:20 am 

Sux Shelby. I hope they are doing better today. The stress they feel is unimaginable.

What I would do for my dog was turn on the huge ocilating fan to high, turn tv on louder than usual and turn on all the boombox in LR and the radio in my BR. It really did help drown out the high pitched noises from the fireworx. It made it bearable for both of us.

Try some googling for more tips, as the noise WILL go on at least another week, while people use up what they have leftover.

xoxoxox to your poochies!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:23 am 

Yes, it would seem all the interior noise from fan, tv radio would upset her more. Yet, they were not at full volume. Just loud enough to muffle the screetching. Haha, is that a word, spell check says NO. It helped a great deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:31 am 

So sorry Shelby about last night,

So glad you were home with them though. We shut all our windows and turned the tv up and you could still hear some of them. Only one real close made Ollie jump up but he's not spooked by them thank goodness.

Today is here. Hope everyone slept in LOL..... Enjoy your ( hopefully quiet) weekend.
I'm off to work, see you all around....

Peace Kim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:24 am 

It was almost horrific (for them), dear folks (peace to you, all!). Seems there's a new kinda firework. I watched out the window (before pulling the shade) and saw a youngster walk out into the middle of the street... with a large box. By large, I mean about twice the size of a large case of beer. Like the size of a small microwave. He took one of those lighter sticks, lit a fuse from the box... then ran for cover. And then... well, the "box" was actually a BUNCH of fireworks WITHIN a "firework." You light the box... and think explodes and throws fireworks high into the air... for close to two minutes! There were TONS of sparks, flying EVERYWHERE, high into the air (then burning fragments coming down), not so high (and so into the bushes, etc.)...

I thought, OMG, on'a those sparks is gonna hit my house and catch it on fire! They didn't even need to hit my house but maybe one of the large trees right NEXT to my house.

Praise JAH... that was the LAST one (of that kind); and it was one of many (I hadn't paid attention to "what" they were setting off before; just knew it SOUNDED like a LOT and very loud - now I know why).

I get it. Fireworks are fun for kids, especially boys. And not all parents can back up the brood and take them out to see the professional ones. And not everyone wants to. I get it.

Gotta maybe think of something for next year, though. Considered leaving the area... but and go where? Maybe a motel someone out in the rural area. But then I thought, yeah, and come back to a burned out house.

Sigh.

Is what it is. At least the little tyke wasn't affected (much - she did get a tiny bit spooked with the last one but maybe because I had her in my arms when I was standing in the window).

I think they're illegal after the 4th here, so I don't anticipate there will be many going forward. Of course, there are always those sundry yahoos who just HAVE to pop off the leftovers so I know there'll be a few, still (though, why wouldn't you set them ALL off, even if you have to do it at one time, on the FOURTH?!! Y'know, go out with a HUGE "bang"... rather than have leftovers?? Unless, of course, you ARE a yahoo...).

Peace... and all's well here this morning, dear folks, so no worries - we survived the night!

Shellamar, on her own...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:36 am 

Well, after I signed off, we had one huge lightning storm! And the thunder, oh my! My dog, though, shot straight up to the window, hackles raised and started barking at the thunder. It was SO loud. I was watching the storm because I love storms, but first one son came out to watch with me, then the little one came out afraid because of how loud the thunder was, even though he loves storms too. But he had been asleep and woke up to that huge racket. Including ZZ, who was really telling that thunder OFF, lol!

So we all slept in the living room ; )

So while you all had your fireworks last night... I got some 'natural' fireworks. Light show and sound effects and all that good stuff!

Peace!