PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:05 pm 

Puny Mortals.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:08 pm 

Well... we can't all be big and green... and half naked... :P

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:39 pm 

Tammy,

Rain-X de-icer... Usually works like a champ. Started using it 3-4 years ago and haven't looked back. I keep stocked up. I hate the scraping, and this usually does the trick. Usually. Sometimes it takes a bit more oompf, but that's pretty rare.

Another trick is to put cardboard (like a large flattened box) on the windshield under the wipers. For some reason, the wipers don't usually stick to them, and it keeps the ice from forming on the windshield (for the most part). They sell some window blankets that accomplish the same thing.

Stay warm!
~LQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:26 pm 

I'm with you, dear Sher'f (peace, dear one!)...

I totally hear YOU, dear Miz Shirley (peace to you, too, girl!)... blankets on/blankets off/heater on/heater off/sweater on/sweater off... and so on and so on...

Awwww, dear Tams (peace, chile')!...

And... say WHAT, now, dear LQ (peace to you, too, luv!)... jus' some ol' CARDBOARD?! Now, why didn't I think of that? DOH!!

And... yessirreee, dear, dear P (peace, dear bruh!)... which is yet another reason why I NEEDS me a "white robe" - so's I don't feel the COLD (or the heat... or the pain...) - LOLOLOL!

Peace to you ALL!

Shellamar, who didn't want to type out "peace to you" so many times, at first... but then thought what the hey, ya'll deserve such a greeting, so... on her own...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:14 pm 

Outlaw, they often PAY to do that! Goes to show how crazy they are (but it does pay for the on-site paramedics and the hot tub, I suppose).

Tammy, will your wipers stay up if you fold them back off the windshield? Some do, but others don't (especially the concealed ones that won't fold out very far). If yours will, that's a good way to stop them from freezing up.

Have you ever driven a real (air-cooled) VW Beetle in sleet? That's one reason I don't own it any more! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 am 

The cardboard trick is good if it's not going to rain or if it's not windy. I did it for a few years before someone turned me onto the de-icer product.

~LQ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:15 am 

Oh, yeah... rain... and wind. No WONDER I didn't think of cardboard, dear LQ (mornin' and peace to you!). Makes sense!

Peace!

Shellamar, whose car has those "hidden" wipers so there'd be no way to keep the carboard ON the windshield anyway... on her own...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:38 am 

GL, I don't know if my wipers stay up, I never checked. Not because I don't know about the trick, but because I just wasn't taking care. I am well aware that my broken wiper is my own fault, lol. But thank you! You too, Leaving... I will look into getting some of the de-icer... once I have working wipers again ; )

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:59 am 

We are 0 F today, btw ; )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:19 pm 

(Oh, SHIVVERRRR!)

I think I just felt my bones "crack" while reading that, dear tec - :O I mean, I [think I] literally felt PAIN, girlfrien'! LOLOL! YOWCH!!!

Peace... and I dunno WHUT you's gonna do, but do SUM'THIN' and stay WARM, girl! Surely, you ain't goin' OUT in that, tho', right? RIGHT?!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellamar, a totally puny mortal, yes, when it comes to cold... and hunger... and fatigue... yessirree... on her own (and so I'm sure, dear P is glad I'm admitting THAT - LOLOL! Last person he'd pick to be on HIS "save the world/country/neighborhood/volleyball... badminton... team! And he'd be RIGHT! LOLOLOL! Peace, dear brother!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 pm 

...............................Image...OUTLAW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:45 pm 

Oh, I'm totally going out in that. That's nothin! We get colder than this here... but life and the city cannot shut down because of the cold... or we would have to become birds and migrate ; )

Last week we were -40 C... which when I put it in the translator, it says that it also -40 F. How does that make sense?

(While I am wondering how the calculation makes sense, Shelby might be wondering how it makes sense to even think about leaving the house in that, lol... I can hear 'Get yur priorities right... GURL!!)

Okay, i will stop torturing you now. (of course you might have liked the cold when you were going through those hot flashes)

Think warm sunny days and night swims in water so warm you barely even sense that you are IN water....

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:11 pm 

Quote:
life and the city cannot shut down because of the cold

Only cuz I ain't the mayor! LOLOLOL! The poor BABIES... out in that gawd-fersakin' weather... just to go to school and such!? Schools would be CLOSED! Buses would stop running. I'd even shut down the 7-11's so's those poor folks can have a (couple/few) days with their families!! Stay home n' make yer OWN coffee for once in yer life, fer krissake! LOLOL!

Thank gawd for GLOVES!!!

Peace... and yeah, okay, YOU go 'head out in that, girl. I'm staying raight heah! LOLOL!

Shellamar, on her own...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:15 pm 

Okay, the school buses do tend to stop running when/if we hit -40... and that IS a cold snap, even for us... but the schools HAVE to stay open, just in case someone drops their kids off or sent them off walking to school, without checking first. My kids went to school in that snap... but they had each stayed home a couple days the week before, so they had no freebies to use up, lol. Of course, they're both sick this week... one with a bad cold/cough and the other I think with the 24 hour flu. (hopefully 24 hour)

But that comes from germs... not the cold. The cold is great for killing the germs ; )

Peace,
tammy