xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:37 pm 

sKally is Down too..
Thats why she hasn`t been here in a few days..
Her Computer Is Frozen..
..................................Image...OUTLAW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 pm 

Suppose you use MS Windows and not Linux*, a special file(s) in the HDD is used (unless you have disabled this) to swap memory when physical memory does not suffice. Well this is in theory, 'cause windows always uses it.

*Linux uses a separate partition so no problem

A normal defrag cannot defrag this file because it is a system file in use. And some more system files cannot be defragged when in use (suppose you use Windows XP, as Windows 7, 8 anyway will need restart to defrag your system partition.) So you need for XP to do a special defrag of system files and swap file when you restart and windows starts to boot.

Use this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 97426.aspx

Never use a dynamic swap file (aka to resize automatically) as it will get terribly fragmented. Use a swap of 4GB (in older times the rule was 4x your memory) or at least set the min to 4GB (when the OS allows you to set min and max of swap). Prior to setting the swap do the defrags to have a continious space for the swap. Microsoft defrag shipped with your Windows will not consolidate free space so use a third party defrag. There are free ones to download and suffice.

-

Now if you use a Mac I cannot say much as I do not have one. But there are many issues with swap files in MACs. They will terribly slow down your computer. Here is a screenshot with huge swap files:
ImageMemory leak? Reboot often the computer to remove them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:31 pm 

So... finally replaced the old 'puter (peace!). Bought a HP mini (10-inch) SmartTouch. Love... and hate... it. Love the size (I can take it to bed with me - to post with, to post with! Ya'll get your minds outta the gutter!! LOLOLOL!). I love the weight (2 lbs. so I can carry it in my shoulder bag without making my formerly injured, but sometimes still hurts, shoulder hurt). Had to get used to the whole touchscreen thing (don't really use it but I can live with it). And the new Word (hate it - well, not as much as when I first started using it... but sometimes "new and improved" it just a nice way of saying "We tried to do something different and actually just ended up screwing everything up!").

Somethings work really well. Some things don't. One thing that doesn't that I really NEED to work... is the dang touchpad (i.e., "mouse" thingy without the mouse). Dang thing doesn't work. And not just on mine. Googled it... and apparently it's just a sucky computer, touchpad-wise.

Sigh.

Also, the processor is a bit slow (sometimes as slow as my old computer, so I'm like WTFrick??!!).

Oh, and somehow I've already managed to download a virus (gorilla-something) through IE that I have to download something else in order to get rid of. Ain't gonna do it. So... I just turned IE off. Don't like IE anyway, so no biggie. Usin' Chrome... and it's all good.

Ennywho, started to start this post with "Stoopid 'Puter"... but, I mean, maybe it's just challenged. Or disabled. An underachiever. But I'm not so sure, after posting all of this, that's it's actully stoopid.

Maybe it's just "special." You know, in a "sunshine bus" sorta way. Which means it deserves love, too.

I think I'll keep it.

Peace!

Shellamar, who prolly really needs to go to sleep now... on her own (thank JAH...)...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:04 am 

g:) /:) g:) /:)

A little time, maybe it will grow on you......or maybe not, LOL!!!!!

Love and peace to you my sista, Kim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:35 pm 

Congrats?

The HP Pavilion 10 TouchSmart comes with only 2GB memory, and from what I'm reading this is the maximum amount that can be put into this machine, unfortunately. This would account for your slower speeds to a large degree. Sadly, these "mini" laptops aren't all that beefy performance-wise. They really are meant for very light use. It's one reason I've avoided buying one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:17 pm 

Only 2GB? That's the memory I have on my PC that was redeemed from the scrapyard-at least in parts. Originally it had .5 or .25?-I don't remember now. And I have one slot free.
-
Now if there is something faulty on your computer send it back and demand to be replaced. If the replacement has the same issue demand your money back (OK ask to be replaced by a different product.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:18 pm 

Is this it?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... ageIndex=1

I was just looking at this myself. My mac continues to get a bit worse. Still definitely functional, but I'm keeping an eye out for when it does go. Plus new computers/laptops are fun ; ) Just their prices are not!

Peace!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:18 pm 

What fun?

You give some money and you buy a decent PC:

2GB memory? What about 8GB memory?
16GB HDD? Is this a joke? What about 2 - 3 TB HDD?
1.7 CPU? What about an octa core at over 3?

Laptops/tablets are only for those who travel. OK you might use a tablet as a portable screen for your PC, but this will need some more time to mature: The display is very slow (you cannot watch any video or do anything decent than typing or playing Mines, Solitaire), due to WiFi being slow. Hmm you could use the USB cable but a USB cable cannot be very long, the signal will get weak. So forget having your tablet at another room. You see the idiots have put only WiFi on tablets and not ethernet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:39 pm 

Not it, dear tec (peace, luv!). This one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+pavi ... 66&bih=667

But no matter: took it back today and got an "upgrade" as I couldn't handle it anymore (so it didn't grow on me, dear 'Mom - peace, chile'!). To this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+pavi ... n&tbm=isch

I don't need a lot of power, dear ANOMOS (peace to you, as well!). I only use my computer for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, posting, email, printing, and paying bills. I've never watched a video, rarely view YouTube or visit Facebook, etc. I don't upload (or download) a buttload of pics (I'm really not much of a pic girl). So, it worked fine... EXCEPT for the touchpad and whatever it was that Windows 8.1 did when it "updated."

What I need is light portability. Due to my shoulder issues, I really can't be carting a heavy-butt laptop around. And I don't want to have to own 2-3 computers just to do what I do (which is use it in my home office with a monitor, but also (1) take with when I work onsite for a client, and (2) when I want to post in the bed).

The one I have now is almost the same size (from 10.1" to 11.6"), with 4GB (vs. 2GB), and weighs 3.4 lbs (vs. about 2.8-3.0 lbs. for the other) and has 500 GB hard drive (vs. 320) for the other. Another plus is it's running Windows 8 vs. 8.1 (which had a LOT of problems, apparently).

I did have to buy Microsoft Office separately ($119 - it was included with the other one, which is the ONLY reason I sacrificed GBs and bought that one in the first place: it was fairly inexpensive and include the Office stuff).

So far, though, so good with this new one. We'll see how it goes.

Peace!

Shellamar, on her own...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:58 pm 

You might not even need MS Office. There are free alternatives around. They may lack some features but not so many to be no option. What is really missing is a decent DTP application like Microsoft Publisher. Scribus has a long way to go, but so does Microsoft Publisher compared to other commercial DTP programs. Yet Microsoft Publisher is easy to use-till Microsoft messes it as they did with Windows. So you may have understood that I am posting this not from Windows but from Linux using SeaMonkey. BTW Seamonkey is available for Windows too! Grab it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:54 pm 

I love Publisher (and use it all the time), dear ANOMOS (peace, luv!)... but it was another hun and a half, so I let it go, for now. I will absolutely (have to) get it in a bit, though. I use Word and Excel daily, as do my clients, so I have to have those. Really wish folks had stayed with WordPerfect; that is an AWESOME program but Word has far, far out distanced it, sad to say.

Not familiar with Seamonkey. Will check it out.

Peace!

Shellamar, on her own...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:23 pm 

WordPerfect? Old DOS memories...
I sill have PCs running DOS but as collectibles only. I use them very rarely. You see I mainly resort to DOS to play old games and DOSBox http://www.dosbox.com/ relieves me from the trouble to boot another PC and switch cables.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 pm 

Yes, dear ANOMOS (peace, luv)! Old DOS games! Like Space Quest, King's Quest, and Police Quest! I just downloaded "Nightmares From the Deep", which is a similar interactive game (a pirates [of the Caribbean] quest!). Was stuck on it (i.e., "stuck on stoopid") most of yesterday, it's SO cool!

Peace!

Roger Wilco... I mean, Shellamar... over and out!