xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:06 pm 

I do hope all who are gathering with others for this great day of feasting have some great dishes planned.

I am preparing a deep dish dutch apple crisp ALA MODE![in oblong pan; to serve more].

My cream cheese/sour cream/ yogurt garlic w/ orange zest, herb spread for garden crackers and veggie platters. YUMMO!!

My daughter is baking her famous pecan pie. So delicious.

And I'm debating on baking these fabulous pecan and/ or pistachio walnut tea cookies. So yuumy. They melt in your mouth.

OUTLAW, what, prayetell, are you 'having'? Leftover roast dub sandwiches?

Have a wonderful Thangsgiving weekend all.

~skally~

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:26 pm 

No turkey for us this year, dear Skals (peace to you!): daughter's cooking... and making her "oh, you SO wanna slap yo' mama SILLY" gumbo! OMG... the crab legs... chicken... andouille sausage... okra... I almost cannot wait! With rice AND cornbread?? Been dreamin' about it for a couple of weeks now... and drooling as we speak, I am!

Plan on doing the whole "spread" next year, though, JAH willing, so ya'll make sure you put your recipes in the recipe thread - who knows what I might add to the menu!

Peace!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:35 pm 

Outlaw (and me and PaulSacramento) are in the great white north... so thanksgiving for us was last month. But I hope you all have a great weekend, and feast. Skally, everything you're doing sounds YUMMY.

Shelby, I think that is a great idea... if, next years, we put our various recipes in for stuffings and side dishes and desserts. That should mix it up.

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:49 pm 

I think dear Zoe's up that way, too, dear tec (peace to you, both!), though farther east, perhaps. I could be wrong...

And yeah, I do like stickin' to what I know when I cook, but I have tasted some pretty good stuff(ing) over the years (just don't put no raisins/dates/cranberries/nuts, etc., in it - but I followed a recipe I saw on the Food Network (I think) and put in apples and Italian sausage (in my usual butter/sage/cornbread base) last year and it actually came out pretty good! At least, a couple folks said so!

I had some (more) of dear 'Mom's cooking this week... and had to take some home for lunch the next day, it was SO good! Gonna see if I can get that recipe from her (although, not a holiday dish but STILL lip-smackin'... and I mean that - my lips SMACKED through that dish! LOLOL!).

OH... I DID try (I think it was either Quentin's or GL Tirebiter's but I'm not sure)... recipe for beans with the oil glazed hamhocks... and now I put them (hocks) in beans, greens, green beans... or just eat them alone - i.e., some of 'em don't make it from the oven to the dish, but somehow take a detour to my mouth en route - LOLOLOL!

Anyway, I look forward to the recipes... and we don't have to wait until next year, chikkens! Share... even if you think no will try your recipe! You never know!

Peace!

Shellamar, on her own...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:49 pm 

Your all so funny, makes me laugh!

I'm so glad you and hubby enjoyed that pasta Shelby! I'll give ya the recipe.

I'm cooking as well as doing a little house hopping.

Skally, all that sweetness sounds fabulous as I am a sugar lover and pecan pie is my favorite!

Enjoy your weekend everyone,
Love to you all Justmom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:11 pm 

Did you say oil glazed hamhocks? I think I'm gonna send you an email to get further details on that one!

Well, the turkey is brining as I type this, stuffing will be made tomorrow. Btw, everybody seems to be so concerned about that goddang parade tomorrow because it's so windy here and they keep saying they're not sure if the balloons will be able to float tomorrow, even the super of my bldg I ran into in the elevator today said he hopes the weather clears up so the balloons can float . . . couldn't care less (can you tell I'm not a "parade person?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:31 pm 

Yes, Zoe IS up here in the GWN too : )

Loz, do you guys celebrate thanksgiving according to US or Canada? Wait... do you have thanksgiving holidays there? What is the origin of thanksgiving. It is between the native americans and the pioneers, right? Hmm.

I am also going to go look for and bump the recipe thread, because I am getting bored with everything we eat/cook... and I haven't been cooking anything. (which doesn't mean I have stopped eating, lol)

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:23 am 

No we don't celebrate thanksgiving over here Tammy. I kinda wish we did when I read some of these recipes!

Loz x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:37 am 

HAPPY USA THANKSGIVING!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:43 am 

Good Morning everyone, I hope you all are enjoying the Holiday today.

Here it is business as usual, no holiday. We had ours the first Monday in October and its not as big of a deal here. It is after all a American holiday and Canada adopted it too.

Canada is cashing in on the Black Friday thing though (at least here in Ontario), all the stores are advertising on TV and in flyers Black Friday Sales. UGH, I am avoiding stores tomorrow. It irks me that these lovely holidays are marred by commercial greed.

We got a lot of snow the night before last, about 8 inches. It is now extremely cold (10 degrees F) and the driving is not great. Winter is here and I am not liking it. I am going to town today as I haven't been out of the house in 3 weeks and have to get some stuff done, not looking forward to it. I have to dig out gloves and boots too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:58 am 

8 inches is about what we have here, Zoe. We got a couple of dumps, and it seems to have settled. Be careful being out and about in it. Our side roads are bad, but the main roads are good again.

Loz, thanks... funny how it never occurred to me last year, but thinking about you and thanksgiving this year... I had to stop and consider that. Nothing stopping you from getting a turkey and trying out thanksgiving recipes though ; )

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:18 am 

tec wrote:
8 inches is about what we have here, Zoe. We got a couple of dumps, and it seems to have settled. Be careful being out and about in it. Our side roads are bad, but the main roads are good again.

Loz, thanks... funny how it never occurred to me last year, but thinking about you and thanksgiving this year... I had to stop and consider that. Nothing stopping you from getting a turkey and trying out thanksgiving recipes though ; )

Peace,
tammy

Yes Tammy,

Good morning everyone,

Winter time is always a good time to make a big thanksgiving dinner.

Heck I remember as a JW it was okay the day before or the day after but God forbid you do it on THE DAY OF!!! LOLOLOL

Enjoy your weekend
Love Justmom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:27 am 

It's Quentin's recipe from near the bottom of page one of the Recipe thread, dear Miz Shirl (peace, girl, and to you, too, dear Q... if you're out there!):

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14

Happy/sorry about the snow, dear tec, Zoe, Sher'f, and P (peace to you all! Happy if you love it; sorry if you hate it - LOLOLOL!).

Went to the store, yesterday, dear Zoe... and saw the ad papers and "plans" for last night/today. There were already barracades put up outside... and almost everything in the store (Wally-Mart) had been pushed back to make way for the crowds... that I could barely get to the things I went to buy! The sales prices seemed really good, though, and so I thought, "Could I ever really get into that kind of madness (again) just to save a few bucks/buy something?" I don't think so.

I say "again," because I did get caught up in the anticipation several years ago and risked it one year to attend an "early bird" event (at Kohl's which started at 5am, so I got there at 4am) where they were selling those Kitchen Aid mixers that usually go for over $300 for $150. I had wanted one of those for YEARS... and I got one that year. But... I kinda cheated: I went the day before and bought one at full price... then went to the "early bird" event and "returned it", then bought it at the discounted price. I did this because I had the impression that there wouldn't be enough, that people would be trampling over one another to get one.

Well, there was no one there when I bought it at first... no one there when I returned and repurchased it (at 5-frickin' a.m.!!), and there were plenty when I went back the next day to check.

What did I learn? That unless it's electronics/coveted toys... there'll prolly be enough... so I could'a stayed in bed all three days and gone to the dang store when I wanted to.

Lesson learned. Besides, who wants to risk being trampled... or, as apparently happened in Las Vegas yesterday... shot?

Oh, I also learned that I didn't really NEED that mixer - I've NEVER used it. Wait, I don't think ya'll heard me. NEVER. Not ONCE. My DAUGHTER has used it (primarily, to make hubby cookies, or some other things when she helps with holiday cooking), but when I tried to give it to her she turned it down. She's a healthy eating fanatic and was like, "Mom, I only make cookies for (dear hubby). I don't eat cookies and I do NOT need a mixer at home!"

So, that's MY "Black Friday-Holiday Rush-Storm the Doors" story. What's yours?

Peace!

Shellamar, on her own...

So...