xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:26 am 

Do acts like this prove it (may you all have peace!)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxk1wqoK6Ig

I totally agree with the PREMISE (that we all can BE kind,yes!)... but "inherently" suggests we all ARE... which I don't think is the case. What's more, the comment from the producers contradicts itself when it states:

"This good samaritan helping a stranger in need shows that we can all be inherently kind. Join Dignity Health in celebrating human kindness."

"Inherent" means something (here, a characteristic) that ALREADY EXISTS [in us], not something that CAN occur/be cultivated [in us].

As I've often shared, I don't tend to think the way many do. In this case, while it is WONDERFUL that a man stopped and helped this dear lady across the street, I counted THIRTEEN cars... and two BUSES... that didn't even STOP, let alone someone get out and help. That means 12 out of 13 [people] are NOT inherently kind. Right?

Now that might not be a too bad ratio (it ain't good, though!)... but, here's my question:

Wouldn't more have had to just STOP... let alone get out and help... for the ad to suggest that "we" (humankind) ARE... INHERENTLY kind (they answered their question, "Are we inherently kind?" with "Yes." I dunno, though... I think it depends on where you live for THIS to even happen! I promise you, it doesn't happen here in Oakland - your butt will get run over if you don't get it across that street... and quick-like! LOLOL!).

Not trying to be negative; just trying to understand how others "see" things. Apparently, as they wish them to be (which isn't necessarily wrong, don't get me wrong - "positive thinking" can be a good thing)... versus how they are (which can be discouraging, yes)... but I'm not sure NOT seeing... or changing what you see to "lead" (MISlead?) others... is the answer.

Maybe the purpose is to show others what "inherent kindness" looks like... which I think is FABULOUS! People often imitate what they see... or do what they later learn they should. But the UNtruth of the matter struck me as... odd.

Just musing, is all. Any/all comments are welcome. If your comment is that the ad can "teach" some "how" to be kind (and I don't disagree!), though... then I think, again, that doing that is not what the ad byline is saying, versus "we" don't NEED to be taught... because it is already IN "us."

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

Shellamar, who loved the comment that this must have taken place in Canada - LOLOLOL!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 am 

I totally agree with the PREMISE (that we all can BE kind,yes!)... but "inherently" suggests we all ARE... which I don't think is the case. What's more, the comment from the producers contradicts itself when it states:

"This good samaritan helping a stranger in need shows that we can all be inherently kind. Join Dignity Health in celebrating human kindness."

"Inherent" means something (here, a characteristic) that ALREADY EXISTS [in us], not something that CAN occur/be cultivated [in us].

Hello and good morning to you my sister Shelby...

I would agree with you as to the comment that we all can be kind, but that it isn't inherent in us.
If it already existed in us as inherent, then we wouldn't be told in Galatians 5: 22-24 that of the nine fruitages of the spirit, " kindness " is one of the fruitages that those belonging to CHRIST would need to cultivate.

Cultivate is something that we can learn and it can grow in us but doesn't necessarily already exist in Us.

They are called " fruitages of the spirit". Verses " fruitages of the flesh" in verses 19-21.

Just my 0.02cents
Thanks for sharing
Love ya Justmom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:44 am 

I hear you, dear 'Mom (mornin' and peace to you, luv!): for US, the Body of Christ... and particularly those of us who weren't even TAUGHT kindness... we have Christ, the Holy Spirit, to teach US (what kindness is... and upon whom it should be exercised - pretty much everyone, because love encompasses kindness and we are to love even our enemies).

But that wasn't really my issue, here. We have to keep in mind that there ARE people who are kind... yet, do not know/have faith in Christ. So, I didn't want to make it seem like one can only BE kind if they belong to Christ. That would negate the purpose of the story of the Good Samaritan - although an Israelite (and so "brother" of a Jew), he wasn't a Jew (and so, not following the customs and traditions of Jews). A couple of Jews (and so, those who CLAIM to have/follow the Law), passed the beaten man by; his ENEMY (the Samaritan) is the one who took care of him. In the same vein, you and I could be helped by, say, a Muslim, a Jew, even a "christian", each of these showing kindness to be in them. Was that kindness INHERENT, though... or did they LEARN it (perhaps through their respective upbringing)? Even the man in the ad: maybe he was raised by a grandmother... or related to the elderly lady because he HAS a grandmother who has experienced difficulty crossing a busy street?

My point was not so much as to kindness, in general... or whether such IS inherent in humankind... or even how one might LEARN kindness... but the ad's implication that kindness IS inherent in mankind... when the TRUTH is that it really isn't... as SHOWN by the ad itself (based on how many stopped... and how many did NOT). The word (inherent) is negated by the ad itself AND it's commentary.

It was this kind of thing... saying two different things but trying to pass them off as one and the same... that often jumped out at me when "studying" the WT and WTBTS publications: "You want us to BELIEVE this... but you are SAYING that... and the FACTS show none of it is true!"

And so, it was the PROPAGANDA... that struck me, the attempt to persuade people to BELIEVE that we are inherently kind.

Again, I think the... ummmmm... goal (creating kindness) is wonderful! I'm just not sure that LYING to reach that goal is the right thing to do. It's propaganda: "information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

That is what struck me: not the issue of kindness, per se (I know that some would argue that, given the kindness shown by, say, a particular demographic, it IS inherent. Again, though, is it "inherent"... even for that demographic... or is kindness merely a societal custom/tradition that those of that demographic were taught? Doesn't matter by WHOM... I just thought the ad's implication was overreaching... and not really true. I digress.]... but the PROPAGANDA.

I think I didn't care for the propaganda. Because, more often than not, it backfires. Think... religion. Especially the WTBTS.

I hope that clarifies.

Peace!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:56 am 

Mm, interesting...

I have to say that I think kindness (and goodness even) is visible even in some children, often despite their nurture. Similarly the opposite can be true. I think that children show their affinity with good or bad from a young age. I can only attribute this to 'who they belong to', in a spiritual sense.

Inherent? That's a different debate possibly, but on the face of it I agree no, it isn't.

Loz x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:58 am 

Compassion.
That is what makes us unique and that is why God, IMO, "allows" for free will, for "natural evils".
Never are humans better than when they feel compassion for others.
Nothing brings people together, of all races, of all religions, even enemies, than compassion when something happens that requires compassion ( like an earthquake for example).

Never are we as close as to what God wanted Us to be, then when we are compassionate.

The word "compassion" means to suffer ( passion) with (com).

And what is kindness but a small expression of compassion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:43 pm 

inherent: belonging to the basic nature of someone or something

I think being kind is learned. Parents are or are not kind; children usually follow the actions of the parents. Sometimes, later in life, children become different. For example, I have often thought of myself as "kind", but I now know that I am far from it (something I'm working on). There's also a difference between thinking kind thoughts and putting those kind thoughts into action. For all those that just passed by, we don't know how many thought to themselves: "That poor woman! Hope she doesn't get hurt. Hope someone helps her out." That's a kind thought, but really means nothing without the action. But our busy lives often preclude being kind.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:35 pm 

Quote:
Wouldn't more have had to just STOP... let alone get out and help... for the ad to suggest that "we" (humankind) ARE... INHERENTLY kind (they answered their question, "Are we inherently kind?" with "Yes." I dunno, though

Well, you finally said it: I DON'T KNOW.

Excellent Shelby. Seeing you actually say this simply means you are just like everyone else, trying to figure 'it all out'. It is proof even, as I see it.

Yet, what perplexes me when you ASK things such as this is, have you asked "Jah" first, before asking the Humans?

I'm genuinely very interested see your 'answer' because these are simple questions He surely would not keep from answering for YOU, if you were to ask him Directly, as I've now learned about your relationship with Him, through your sharing of it so graciously. Have you asked Him?

Thank you.

~skally~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:30 pm 

There is evidence of compassion even in children who are still babies. I've seen it between one-year-olds.

None of these instances "prove" anything. They're just instances of kindness.

However, the thing that struck me as I watched the video was that if that had happened here and if it had been caught on camera a lot of fines and even possibly prosecutions might have ensued, against almost all of the car drivers. Here we call such crossings "zebra crossings" (from the black and white stripes). They are safety zones, to enable people to cross in safety. It's totally illegal to drive over one and illegal not to stop as someone approaches one, and to drive over when anyone is crossing is highly illegal.

Even the driver who got out of his car and helped was committing an offence. He created an obstruction and abandoned his car!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:20 pm 

Chariklo wrote:
There is evidence of compassion even in children who are still babies. I've seen it between one-year-olds.

None of these instances "prove" anything. They're just instances of kindness.

However, the thing that struck me as I watched the video was that if that had happened here and if it had been caught on camera a lot of fines and even possibly prosecutions might have ensued, against almost all of the car drivers. Here we call such crossings "zebra crossings" (from the black and white stripes). They are safety zones, to enable people to cross in safety. It's totally illegal to drive over one and illegal not to stop as someone approaches one, and to drive over when anyone is crossing is highly illegal.

Even the driver who got out of his car and helped was committing an offence. He created an obstruction and abandoned his car!

Hello Char...

Never heard of " zebra crossings" but I understand what they are.

But if there never was any law for zebra crossing to be there, how many would actually stop just because " they wanted to"!

No law, just because out of love, compassion, and mercy for this woman?

I see it ( this zebra law and of course for safety measures) as having this law enforced as sorta like " the law being written on stone tablets" .

But could or should this law instead be on our hearts?? Not needing to be told we need to stop and let or help pedestrians in need cross?

But the bible does talk about a people in Romans although not having the written law, they because of what they do are a law within themselves. Having it on their hearts.
I think this might attribute to " random act of kindness" regardless of even some of their background and raising they had. Although agood raising helps!

Just a thought
Love justmom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:31 pm 

s-Kally wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't more have had to just STOP... let alone get out and help... for the ad to suggest that "we" (humankind) ARE... INHERENTLY kind (they answered their question, "Are we inherently kind?" with "Yes." I dunno, though

Excellent Shelby. Seeing you actually say this simply means you are just like everyone else, trying to figure 'it all out'. It is proof even, as I see it.

Yet, what perplexes me when you ASK things such as this is, have you asked "Jah" first, before asking the Humans?

I'm genuinely very interested see your 'answer' because these are simple questions He surely would not keep from answering for YOU, if you were to ask him Directly, as I've now learned about your relationship with Him, through your sharing of it so graciously. Have you asked Him?

Thank you.

~skally~

Hello to you Skally.......

Funny you ask Shelby why she " asks" ....

Not that she knows all the answers, actually she has shared that she doesn't know much on her own, but relying and trusting the truth, who is CHRIST who is the Holy Spirit as her source, is a way better way to go than relying on her own opinions.

But our Lord did know the answers to his questions he asked his followers, but didn't he still always ask them and teach by illustrations?

Just askin
Love to you
Justmom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:07 pm 

Quote:

Actually, dear Skalls (peace!), I stated "I dunno"... which I intended rhetorically and will address shortly, since you apparently didn't "get" that...

Quote:

You miss a couple/few things with regard to me, luv:

1. I have never indicated, stated, implied, or otherwise intimated that I am not "just like everyone else, trying to figure it all out." Indeed, it was my desire TO... KNOW... TRUTH... that set me on my path (toward trying to figure it out). What I FOUND, since being on that path, though, is that...

2. Unlike many... I have come to know that I don't HAVE to figure it out... whether through trying or otherwise... because, primarily, I can simply ASK. Once I came to know THAT... and DID ask... I learned that it's not all such a huge mystery to begin with, and certainly not rocket science... but actually very CLEAR... AND elementary.

Quote:

Not sure why that perplexed you, dear one. Not sure why ANYTHING related to me, stated by me, etc., concerns you at all... but if you say you're perplexed... well, who am I to argue? But make no mistake: I'm a nobody, Skalls, perhaps even a joke. Certainly a foolish thing. Even I know this. Do YOU, though? Else, why would ANYTHING I ask/state even be on YOUR radar?

As for your question, you already know the answer: as I have shared many, many... MANY times... everything I share here of a non-personal nature (and much of that, too)... is discussed "first" with my Lord (and so, through him, the Father). Indeed, it was HIS question that prompted me to even make the thread. As I watched the ad HE asked me, "IS man inherently kind, child?"... which got ME to thinking... which led to me understanding the PROPAGANDA being used. Which is what he wanted ME to "see"... and I tried to share with YOU dear ones, in the hopes that YOU would "see."

If you understood me the definition of rhetoric you would have known that I wasn't ASKING, per se. Indeed, I think most (here) would agree that man is NOT inherently kind. As I clarified after reading dear 'Mom's (peace, luv!) comments, my issue was the PROPAGANDA that man IS "inherently" kind... being used to try and foment kindness.

Quote:

You're a hoot, dear Skally. Truly. But apparently, not very perceptive, else you would have gotten my point, at least after I clarified further, that it wasn't about the "question"... but the ad. Nor are you "genuine," IMHO... as to your "interest" in my response... or anything else when it comes to me. Other than perhaps "trying to figure out" a way to "measure" me (perhaps in comparison to yourself). Why you feel the need to DO that, though, is your issue, not mine. Trust me: I don't sit around wondering, "Now, why ain't I like Skally?" And for good reason:

"If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load."

Unfortunately, we live in a world where, rather than looking in the MIRROR to see what one "looks" like spiritually, folks spend more time looking WINDOWS trying to see what others "look" like... and then comparing their perception to THAT "view." Perhaps I did, too, at one time. Until I learned that only image IN the mirror that I need to look at is mine... and Christ's.

You should try it sometime. Might be (very) surprised at what you "see," luv.

Quote:
Thank you.

You are QUITE welcome! My pleasure, as always!

Peace to you!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 am 

Interesting.

Interesting how propaganda works. I would not have assumed that humans were inherently kind by the video, but on my own (unless my Lord showed me or asked me a question about what I had seen, so that I would not have been on my own) I probably would have seen only what they wanted people to see, which was the man who helped her, and not the MANY who ignored her or might have done her harm (it is also illegal here not to stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk, though people do get hit and die from injuries, often a couple a year, in crosswalks)

Peace to you!

tammy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:31 am 

Interesting how propaganda works.

It IS, dear Tec (mornin' and peace to you!). What's even as interesting is how many don't realize they're being propagandized: the use of "feel good" tactics and techniques to get folks to BELIEVE something that is not TRUE. This may not have been the best example, but I think it was a very good one because many would think it's hard to find fault with. I mean, it IS trying to send a GOOD message ("be kind")... but that's not REALLY the message it's sending ("we ARE all kind").

My first reaction is, "Awwwww... the kind gentleman helped the lady!" Because that's the VISUAL. It wasn't until our dear Lord asked me that I saw the MESSAGE, though. Which is probably the case with most: the don't really see/hear the MESSAGE... because of the visual. And so, they receive a subliminal "truth" (that is NOT true)... that humankind is inherently kind.

I think the reason for bringing it up is to help jar folks AWAKE! Being "asleep" is what got most of us misled (as to God and Christ) in the first place. Folks were able to tell (most of us) almost anything... and we believed it... rather than seeking the TRUTH.

Now, some might say, "What's the big deal? They didn't mean any harm!" and that might be true. But there is that saying, "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." Truth is something we, the Body of Christ, must stand for. SHOULD stand for, because we claim to FOLLOW [the] Truth. And so, while we can all still say, TRUTHFULLY, that what the man did here WAS kind... VERY kind... and it IS wonderful when folks do such things, and other like things... that does not equate to man being inherently kind.

There is a reason why we don't want to blindly accept that lie... but I am not compelled to go into that now. I was just compelled to put THAT truth out there, that the ad is propaganda... because so many of us have succumbed to propaganda at some point in our lives... and some maybe still do. It is not a time to be sleeping, though, and while some of us will need much stronger "drugs" to lull us... just some "warm" milk can lull some of us [into sleep].

But each one must decide for himself/herself what they will "drink." Shame on me, though, if I don't point out the possible effects OF certain "drinking." I know you understand.

Again, peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:31 am 

A Human is kind and loving.
HumanS, not so much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:52 pm 

Shelby,

Nothing these days is making any sense to me anymore. NOT KNOWING is a strong presence at this time and my thoughts and fellings on many issues of my very existance are about all I can FOCUS on. Please accept my apologies in this engagement.

Sincerely, ~skally~