xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: AHA!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:59 am 

NOW I get it (peace to you, all!). So, during my recent (unfortunate) visit to NYC, I was fortunate enough to be able to spend some time with several of the women on my mother's side. 5 generations, actually. At one point, the older 3 generations were sitting around talking and my dear aunt said something that everyone ELSE agreed with... and was TOTALLY surprising to ME. She said, "Well, we all know Shel has always been the nice one!"

Now why does my FAMILY think I'm the nice one... where others think I'm NOT (so) nice?? I mean, I admit I'm not nice, per se, but can be so... but my family (and those who love/know me) think I am. But, in thinking on it, the women in my family are almost ALL "New Yorkers". I am the "California Girl." We tend to be (perceived) as a little more "air-heady-ish" out here because we smile more often and at least TRY to be polite. But my early years were spent in and GREATLY influenced by the NYC culture, so...

So, as some of you know, I often discuss this with my Lord... and he recently helped me to understand that my "style" IS very "New York", vs. "California. I discussed this with dear hubby how my Lord helped me understand that I am VERY much like my NYC relatives, much more so that like my California friends, and so my "tone", which is often misunderstood by others (in California and perhaps other... mmmmm, more "polite" company) is merely a reflection of my upbringing and early indoctrination, NOT by being "mean." Although, some might consider New Yorkers "mean," which they really aren't.

But something I JUST came across on Craiglist just CORROBORATED what my dear Lord told me... and so helps ME understand this even better! I am helping my son look for venues for my daughter and an ad for an assistant for a cooking show caught my eye so I opened it out of curiosity. After giving some background as to the position, it concludes with:

"Do not apply if you have trouble working with New Yorkers and their direct style. (I'm actually quite fun to work with but to-the-point!)"

LOLOLOLOL! So, I will ask those here who might have a bit of trouble with my "style", when you read my posts if you can try to picture me, say, somewhere in NYC (mostly Brooklyn, where I am "from", but my people are also in the Bronx, Harlem, and Queens... and picturing me on the subway might help even more! LOLOL!). MAYBE that will help put a better "light" on my "style." Direct... and to the point!

Right dear Miz Shirley??! (Peace, my very direct and to the point sister from NYC! LOLOLOL!).

So, I hope this helps! I yam what I yam... and apparently, I yam a New Yorker, too! Well, at least, that's my OTHER story... and I'm stickin' to it! LOLOLOL!

Peace to you, all!

A very direct and to-the-point slave of Christ,

Shellamar

Last edited by AGuest on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: AHA!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:03 am 

Oh, and I posted this more so to give my Lord the glory... for revealing this truth to me FIRST (which I put faith in and so shared with dear hubby)... THEN giving me CORROBORATION... which I will also share with dear hubby (not that HE has a problem with my "style" - he LOVES it... or so he says - LOLOLOL!)... or anyone else who might want to understand (me) a bit better.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:29 am 

I really enjoy your 'direct' style Shelby. Maybe if I was needing some verbal TLC it might graze a little, who knows, but it definitely works for me. I also found that you're very similar to your direct writing style in verbal conversation!

Perhaps it's interesting to sometimes ask what others think of our approaches, though?

Loz x * runs off to hide in the corner *

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:38 am 

That's a funny ad. Love it. Bet it scared some people off though, lol... though that would be its purpose. Warn away the ones who can't handle it and save everyone time.

Of course, Christ would have known the reason for your style. I, too, love when I find something that helps me understand a bit more something He has told me.

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:06 pm 

So, I hope this helps! I yam what I yam... and apparently, I yam a New Yorker, too! Well, at least, that's my OTHER story... and I'm stickin' to it! LOLOLOL!

Aha!!!!

A New York Yam huh?
And I'm a born and raised California sweet potato? LOL!!!!!

So the California part is what makes you still nice, lol!!!

Thanks for sharing
Love ya Kim /:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:42 pm 

Good Morning Shelby..

I prefer direct people..And..
You need those Fancy New York Boots!..LOL!!..
Those boots were Nice!..

..................................Image...OUTLAW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:07 pm 

Direct is good. I prefer direct.

I'd far rather someone called a spade a spade or even a ****** shovel (is that too English a joke?)

Better direct than someone who says one thing to your face and another behind your back. Now, that I don't like at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:10 pm 

OUTLAW wrote:
Good Morning Shelby..

I prefer direct people..And..
You need those Fancy New York Boots!..LOL!!..
Those boots were Nice!..

..................................Image...OUTLAW

I bought some boots this week, preparing for a cold winter.

These are the first warm boots I've had for about 50 years, believe it or not!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:20 pm 

Gurl, go head and go for that cooking job ! ! ! LOL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:30 pm 

Hey Char..

It`s good to have winter boots especially here..
So I know what a comfort they will be to you..
We have 2 extremes here,Desert and North pole..
Extreme Heat and Extreme Cold..
So I have different boots for different weather conditions..

......................................Image...OUTLAW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:37 pm 

The Chef everybody loves to hate..
Gordon Ramsey..

I`d probably end up stuffing him in a pot..LOL!!..
...........................Image...OUTLAW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:05 pm 

Lol!

That's funny, Outlaw!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:06 pm 

Yeah, well... I think I missed THAT "boat," dear Sher'f (peace, luv!)... 'cause I can't FIND them... and the store has NO clue what I'm talking about (all new staff!). I even sent over a pic! They said that once the season ends, they pretty much do away with a collection - ARRGHHH!!! But... I will NOT give up HOPE... OR my search! LOLOLOL!

In the meantime, whad'ya think of THESE boots?

I LOVE the heel (tall but not too tall... and solid, not spikey)... AND... they're less than a quarter of the price of the others (you ladies, remember those, right? I posted pics last year (taken of the store window at Rockefeller Center):

(Yeah, I know - not even in the same category! I know... (shaking head)...).

So, okay, the NEW boots are black (I REALLY wanted brown or red... and that GREEN! Oh my!)... and the "butterfly" button bodies are skulls... and they're not real leather (microfiber and synthetic leather).

But I can live with that. Black goes with almost everything... I have another pair of black microfiber/fake leather booties which I LOVE... and the buttons can be "conversation" starters (I would pretend they're more "pirate-y" than macabre - ARRRRRR!)... and I can even where them to a local "Dia de Muertes" celebration (which we attend from time to time) and look like I'm trying to fit in!!

What say you?

To you dear, dear ladies (ALL of you, yes!)... peace to you... and THANK you for accepting and putting up with me! I'm not likely to change now, so I TRULY appreciate the efforts! LOLOLOL!

And dear Miz Shirl... peace, luv... and you know what? Maybe I will. It's part-time (16-20 hours) and so maybe I can make it work around my new little business. If it's more FUN, then I'm not sure I'll care! LOLOLOL! 'Cause I am SO ready for a FUN job, for once in my life! You know? Maybe I'll check it out and see just what all it entails. 'Cause I DO like to cook/love that environment (I clock some HOURS watching the Food Network and Cooking Channel - LOLOL!). Who knows what THAT could lead to! Shoot, me and dear 'Mom (peace, luv!) did a smash-bang of a catering gig a bit ago... and it was FUN! Hmmmmmm...

So, maybe. We'll see.

Peace, chikkens!

YOUR servant, friend, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

Shel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 pm 

I can't watch Mr. Ramsey often, dear Sher'f (peace, luv!). NOT because he can be a putz... but his "high tension" makes me feel claustrophobic. All yelling/screaming does. I am direct and to the point, yes, but I don't think I'm loud (in fact, folks sometimes say they can't hear me, I speak so low)... and I don't yell/scream. Ever. Don't really ever want to (prolly just don't care enough about stuff to do so - LOLOL!)... but even so, my voice can't really do it, praise JAH - LOLOLOL! Prolly because of singing.

I did get it to raise once, when Miss LiLi ran out in the street in front of a truck. I think I was just as surprised, though, as SHE was! She came RIGHT back, then! LOLOLOL!

BTW, funny story from yesterday, while we (okay, me) are on the topic of Miss Lili:

As ya'll might recall, Miss Lili considers herself the neighborhood cat chaser (well, the "chaser-outter-of-OUR-yard" of the neighborhood cats, of which there are many because our across the street neighbor feeds the feral cats, which congregate on his lawn... and under our bushes... to the complete and utter ire of Miss Lili... I digress)...

Anyway, we come back from the park and, as usual, Lili and Laylay take off after the feral cats. Across the front lawn to the neighbor's, then back and under the bouganvillea (sp?) bush. THIS time, though, although the kitty ran out into the street, Miss Liyah stops abruptly at the curb (she usually chases them right across, if no cars are coming - yes, she checks both ways - LOLOL!).

So I'm thinking (and say!) "GOOD, girl, Liyah! You didn't run out into the street!!"

We go on into the house, but Miss Liyah is pretty stoic (which is unusual for her - usually, she goes straight to the window to look for the cats - which, BTW, strut, lay, and play ON PURPOSE right under the window where she can see them... they love to drive her wild!). So she goes and lays down on the ottoman in the TV room... rather than up on the back of the couch in the window. Looking at her, I notice some funny looking "dirt" on her shoulder and go to brush it off... and find... she's got a tiny "chunk" of skin and hair newly missing!!

I realize, either a thorn from that bouganvillea got her... or that cat did. I bet on the cat and realize "why" she probably abruptly stopped, rather than continue chasing it across the street - LOLOLOL!

Well, I sprayed some first aid "pain reliever" on it (which made her yelp a bit) and she settled back down. I though, "Well, maybe NOW you've learned your lesson and will leave those feral cats, 3-4 of which are bigger than you anyway, alone!"

Nope. Just over an hour later she was back in her window, looking down at the cats prancing and playing below... and going CRAZY barking at them! I had NO doubt that had I opened the door... the chase would be one once again! LOLOLOLOL!

Evidently, for Miss LiLi, lesson NOT learned here! LOLOLOL!

Peace!

Shellamar, on her own...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:22 pm 

Black boots too cheesey/skanky, ya'll? Yeah, I kinda think so, too! I LOVE that heel though. Ah, well...

Peace!

Shellamar, on her own...