xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:51 pm 

X-posted by me from the other forum... though you'd all get a kick out of it. This was my experience today.

So, I'm sitting in a bar, having a drink. The bar participates in TapTV, an online trivia thing. The question that came up was, "What did Jehovah's Witnesses call themselves before 1931". The possible answers where:

Scavengers
Witnesses
Russelites
Latter Day Saints

Of course, the correct answer was Russelites, but you and I know the REAL answer was "Bible Students", but that wasn't an option.

The bartender, a female who I've come to know and appreciate, blurted out, "Scavengers". This led to a lengthy conversation, including me revealing my background. I told her that she'd eventually find out, but this wasn't the way I envisioned.

I won't go into all the details, because some is not relevant, but I did ask her why she said "Scavengers". She said "because every time they come to my door, they're like sales people.'

Folks, need I say any more???

Now, you may be wondering what the heck I was doing in a bar? Well, this is a local bar / grill in town that happens to have pretty good food. I go there sometimes, and I have gotten to know some of the staff. I went to Chicago this past week on business, and one of the bartenders there asked me to bring back a souvenir shot glass as she collects them. I bought one for her and was delivering it to her today and was sitting at the bar when this question came on the big screen TV in front of me. Talk about timing! And her reaction was priceless. I had not divulged my religious affiliation to her prior to this. I'm not sure what she thinks at this point. I told her a bit about my background and she was pretty forthcoming about what she thought about the religion. She pitied me for not celebrating the holidays. That was the biggest thing for her. Very interesting to see this from the other side.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:25 pm 

Greeting dear LQ,

Funny story and yes I can see why folks view them this way!

As to the " wondering why you were in a bar?"...

My brother there is absolutely no reason to explain. We are a free people! Freedom in Christ and to share him is not limited to anywhere. And even if you were there just for a good time...this is allowed. It is that dang watchtower baggage that would not allow us this freedom.

Thanks for sharing,
Peace and love to you, your sister in Christ, Kim

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:32 am 

Quote:
Now, you may be wondering what the heck I was doing in a bar?

In your situation, I'd only be wondering why you weren't in a bar. lol I'm just kidding - feeling light-hearted today. But Kim is right, that is old religious baggage.

Oh, I just thought of something. One time at a district convention, we were waiting to be seated at a restaurant and the line was out the door; it was summertime in Texas, y'all. Well, when we finally at least got inside the door, the line was still very long but in another room there was a bar with hardly anyone in it. I wasn't going to just stand there for another thirty minutes when I was tired and hot and extremely thirsty so I left my group (an elder's family) went in and sat at the bar and ordered me a beer. That was the best beer I ever had.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:18 pm 

ataloa wrote:
Quote:
Now, you may be wondering what the heck I was doing in a bar?

In your situation, I'd only be wondering why you weren't in a bar. lol I'm just kidding - feeling light-hearted today. But Kim is right, that is old religious baggage.

Oh, I just thought of something. One time at a district convention, we were waiting to be seated at a restaurant and the line was out the door; it was summertime in Texas, y'all. Well, when we finally at least got inside the door, the line was still very long but in another room there was a bar with hardly anyone in it. I wasn't going to just stand there for another thirty minutes when I was tired and hot and extremely thirsty so I left my group (an elder's family) went in and sat at the bar and ordered me a beer. That was the best beer I ever had.

YUP!!!!!!

And I bet it was a great beer! Where I came from, someone would have reported me and I'd have been in the back room next meeting.

Ahhhhhh, freedom now is awesome!!!

Peace ya'll, Kim

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:23 pm 

I think I would find my dear Lord frequenting bars... WAY more than I would find him frequenting churches, dear LQ (peace to you, luv!). So makes total sense to ME that you might be in a bar. Although, if the truth be told, there may actually be MORE sinners in the CHURCHES than in the bars, so...

But ya'll get my point, right? Thing is, they don't commercially serve wine in churches. They DO serve "wormwood," though. My Lord, however, is a wine-drinker. Wormwood isn't his thing.

Nohmsayin'? LOLOL!

Peace!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shel