xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Gospel Parallels
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:35 pm 

Things I learned today:

In reading a book entitled Gospel Parallels, A Synopsis of the First Three Gospels, which uses the Revised Standard Version, 1952, I was reading the accounts at Matthew 5:43-48 and Luke 6:27-26, 32-36. I’ve read these accounts many times before, but I hadn’t read them in “parallel” form. It reads, in pertinent part, as follows:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?

You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”—Matthew 5:43-48.

The above was in the left column of the page. On the right column of the page, parallel to Matthew’s account, it read:

“But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.

If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love your enemies and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.”

To be “merciful” is to be “perfect" and to be "perfect" is to be "merciful."

May Jah, the Most Holy, bless you, and His Son, Jaheshua, give you Peace.

--Armand

Post subject: Re: Gospel Parallels
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:38 pm 

Thank you for that, dear Armand (peace and love to you, dear brother)!

It was quite timely for me - my "mercifulness" has been being tested over the past few weeks. While I didn't stumble and was still able to show mercy in those instances where it was called for, my attitude about it was far from stellar - LOLOLOL! I did what I "ought" to have done, sure, but with some "grumbling" (which had never been the case before). My failure was mostly because I am very tired these day, more than usual. No COVID. Age, I think (and ugly weather, which always makes me grumpy - LOLOL!)

So, I truly appreciate this comparison. It helps me realize that if I truly WANT to be as much like the Master (who is the image of the Father) as possible, I need to maintain not just the desire to show mercy but also thr right attitude... and not just because "it's the right thing to do."

Thank you and peace to you!

Your servant, sister, and a slave of Christ,

Shel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:57 pm 

Peace to you both my brother and sister,

Thank you for your sharing on mercy and being merciful.

This was profound to me,

“But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.”

Something our dear Lord perfected and something I pray for everyday, constantly needing help with as we know does not come easy.

Thank you again and may Jah and His Son our Lord JAHeshua continue to bless you and your households,
kim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:06 am 

Peace to you Armand, Shel and Kim

Thank you Armand for that reminder. Some times we know the right thing to do, however, that does not mean it is always easy. Thank you for the much needed reminder and encouragement to continue in kindness and forgiveness.

Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:31 pm 

Peace to you!

Thank you for sharing, Armand! Always a good reminder for us to be merciful, as our Father in heaven is merciful, as our dear Lord Jaheshua (the Living Image of JAH) is merciful, as we must also be merciful. Not just to our loved ones, anyone can do that as our dear Lord said, but to our enemies. And mercy comes from love, does it not?

Peace and love to you, and to you all, and to your households,
your sister and servant and fellow slave of Christ,
tammy