xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trump’s Faith
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:01 pm 

I was reading an article on Trump and his faith and thought I would share a few of his quotes:

They were asking him to name his favorite bible verse, "I wouldn't want to get into it," Trump said. "Because to me, that's very personal. The Bible means a lot to me, but I don't want to get into specifics."

He was then asked whether he had ever asked God for forgiveness. "I am not sure I have," Trump responded. "I just go on and try to do a better job from there. I don't think so. I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture. I don't."

As for communion -- partaking of bread and wine in remembrance of Christ's body and blood and his death on the cross -- Trump described it this way: "When I drink my little wine -- which is about the only wine I drink -- and have my little cracker, I guess that is a form of asking for forgiveness, and I do that as often as possible because I feel cleansed."

I was surprised to read that, it’s not often you hear or read about someone partaking. I guess you just never know.

Post subject: Re: Trump’s Faith
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:39 am 

Trump is No Christian.
Look at his behaviour, look at how he treats people.

Participating in Communion.
Is all about appearances, to the people he wants votes from.

....................Image...OUTLAW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:53 pm 

Quote:
I was surprised to read that, it’s not often you hear or read about someone partaking. I guess you just never know.

Greetings and peace to you, dear HTBO!

I think you don't hear much because it's not rare but a given. Like someone saying they "read/put faith in the Bible." With the exception of JWs, the members of virtually every "christian" religion (including Mormons) partake - some daily (Catholics provide daily for those who wish it), some once per week, most on the 1st Sunday of the month.

I was raised Lutheran (mom's side) and Baptist (dad's side) and both had "communion" (once "confirmed," even children partake), so it was quite a change as a JW to find only certain ones (and particularly old people) "could" partake and then only once per year. My childhood best friend was Catholic so she partook every time she went to mass (but didn't believe in any of it - only went because her dad made her).

There's some info about it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharist#Eucharist

Regardless, just like "reading the Bible," eating and drinking won't save one... or "prove" that one is a "christian". It is receiving holy spirit, which is given as reward for faith (in Christ), which faith is demonstrated by one's obedience to what Christ tells them to do or say. Whether the things already recorded or the things he says now.

Again, peace to you (and to your dear household)!

Your servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

Shel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:23 pm 

Oh you misunderstood me! I know all/most faiths partake. I was raised Catholic, had my first communion as a little girl.
When Trump said he has a little wine and cracker “as often as possible” I took it as though he did it in private by himself, and that is something I don’t hear of from people I talk to that have different belief. I have never talked to anyone that does it privately like we do. And that is the only point of my post. I make no judgement on him or what he says, I just saw it differently than how you have interpreted my post. Guess I better splain myself next time ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:53 pm 

LOLOLOL - Ah, yes, I "see" (peace, luvee!). I think he meant as often as possible like, maybe, every few years, if then. I read online where he claimed to belong to a certain Presbyterian church. The pastor, though, stated that while it was indeed the Trump Family church, and Mr. Trump visited from time to time, he was not a member.

I think there are a lot of people who misunderstand the purpose and "power" of eating/drinking. It's the exact same as washing feet - obedience to a direct instruction from Christ (John 14:23). But it not the same as an anointing, although it does effectuate hearing the "calling"). As Christ stated, though, "Many are called; few are chosen."

Why the distinction? Because while many will say they did this and that in his name, they overlooked/ignored him when he spoke to them directly... AND, today, people believe they are eating the "flesh" and drinking the "blood" of "Jesus." He, though, as you know, is not "Jesus."

Ennywho, thanks for clarifying. I really did take your words to mean you didn't know others partook. I was a bit confused because, as you shared, you were raised Catholic. Some, however, do think that only Catholics... or a small faction of "christians"... eat and drink. But the truth is that ALL the "daughters" of the Harlot does, in some practice. That's why they are harlots, too.

Again, peace to you and to your dear household -

Your servant, sister, and a slave of Christ,

Shel