xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Why not touch him?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59 am 

Quote:
John 20:17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Some translations record that Christ said " Do not touch me " - I am wondering about why he couldn't be held/touched? I'm asking but if anyone has thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them...

Peace

Loz x

Post subject: Re: Why not touch him?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:37 pm 

Greetings, dear, dear Loz... and the greatest of love and peace to you and your household!

May I ask, and please know I do so with the greatest of love and respect... what do YOU hear from our dear Lord as to what meant, dear sister? Don't think too hard on it; just listen, put FAITH in what you hear... if it comports with what we have been given thus far and so what our dear Lord WOULD mean... and step out in faith and share that (what you hear as to what is TRUE about what he meant) with us.

I am stating this because, given what he has given us thus far, I believe you know what he meant... and it was due to your faith in what we've been given thus far (such that you even considered there might be another interpretation for the wording) that the truth of it has been given YOU (so as to share with us here). So, I exhort you to put faith in what you hear, dear, dear sister... and tell us. Perhaps one (or more) of us can provide a "second witness" so that your faith... and that of others... might be built up even more.

No pressure, though, truly, but just some encouragement.

Of course, if you don't feel comfortable sharing here, at least not initially, you are more than welcome to PM (whomever you wish to/think might be of some assistance) first. My advice, though, is to trust Christ, who is our Lord and Holy Spirit of God. Then, so long as your motive is pure... and I've no doubt it is... meaning, your motive is to tell the TRUTH about HIM... versus, say, trying to demonstrate your own "intelligence/knowledge" or perhaps proffer some "proof" that you are "approved" (by JAH/Christ)... then you've nothing to fear. Remember: it is not about us. At all. It is ALL about him. And so long as that is your motive, sharing the truth ABOUT the Truth... in APPRECIATION of him and what he has done for/given you/us... and so that others might (want to) seek and come to know him... in TRUTH... is POSSIBLE... then it cannot go wrong. Even if you don't have a second witness/corroboration now. If he is your SOLE motivation... HE will provide the corroboration/second witness, sooner or later. You only need have faith that he will... and if your motive is correct, then there is NO reason for him not to.

I hope that's clear... AND that you understand why I've stated it.

Again, the greatest of love and peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:50 am 

Thank you Shelby for your encouragement.

What I hear from our Lord is that although he hadn't ascended to His father he was not imprisoned in death. He was visiting only for parts of 3 days, and also was to bear witness to those in Tartarus. His appearance to those left behind and grieving was intended to strengthen their faith at this time. His own flesh had died though, so he used a materialised body to 'show' himself to his disciples.

Is this why he shouldn't be touched/held? What detriment would it have caused to him or them I'm wondering? That he prevented it suggests that it would have been somehow detrimental. I hear that it may have impeded his progress to his father but I can't quite grasp why/how? Would it have adversely affected his emotions/desires?

That's all I have, sorry.

Peace

Loz x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:12 pm 

Did it have anything to do with his body remaining sinless?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:23 pm 

Grr..just lost my post!

Interesting question At. But his original human body did in fact remain sinless until death. He materialised different bodies to appear to his followers, this is why he wasn't so recognisable to them until he spoke of spiritual things or prayed with them. Then they 'heard' him and knew him.

It wasn't until he ascended to heaven that he would've been given his spiritual body. He then would be able to 'go in and out'. As yet it would appear he couldn't do so...and maybe that's why he wasn't to be touched...

I am still asking...

Loz x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:57 pm 

Peace to you, Loz.

This is not the understanding I have so far. Christ did carry our sins in His flesh. And wasn't He raised with a spirit body? How could He have put on different bodies (if He did) if not? It seems to me that the body He had could go in and out. But He had not yet ascended to present the value of the sacrifice before God?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:18 pm 

ataloa wrote:
This is not the understanding I have so far. Christ did carry our sins in His flesh. And wasn't He raised with a spirit body? How could He have put on different bodies (if He did) if not? It seems to me that the body He had could go in and out. But He had not yet ascended to present the value of the sacrifice before God?

I agree that he did carry our sins At, apologies if I've misunderstood you. It terms of his own sins though, he was unblemished as was foretold the lamb of God would be?

He would have a spirit body once he ascended to heaven yes, but he hadn't yet ascended as he explains in John 20. It's this in between time I'm asking about....yes?

Or maybe I'm remembering things mistakenly...if so I apologise...

Loz X

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:31 pm 

I've been reminded by our Lord that this timescale also ties in with Christ's prophecy that within 3 days he would rebuild the temple. He referred not to the literal temple as we know but rather to his body: a "temple of the living God". So, was this 'building' taking place and thus untouchable??

Peace

Loz X

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:49 pm 

Quote:
And wasn't He raised with a spirit body?

Sorry At, yes of course he was, I missed your question here. His words about 'not yet ascended to my Father' suggest that things weren't yet completed, somehow. It's this that I'm pondering and asking about so as to be clear.

Loz x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:11 pm 

I'm hearing faint bits about Jerusalem and the spirit being poured out then, but not before. Had to look it up in Act 1. That's when they were to be baptized with holy spirit.
I'm also hearing encouragement to Mary to not remain there hanging onto him grieving, but to go instead and deliver an important message. After all, she wanted to know where his body had been taken so she could go get it and didn't even recognize our Lord until he spoke her name.
Perhaps a two-fold meaning???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:10 pm 

Quote:
What detriment would it have caused to him or them I'm wondering?

Let's see if the following can help, dear Loz (peace to you, dear sister):

"While they were still talking about this, [Jesus] himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a spirit (being). He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a spirit (being) does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.” Luke 24:36-39

Now read:

"I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” John 20:17

Okay, now read:

"... no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but spirit gives birth to spirit." John 3:5, 6

And...

"Flesh and blood cannot enter into the kingdom of the heavens." 1 Corinthians 15:50

Then read:

"After six days [Jesus] took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light." Matthew 17:1-3

And...

"At once [Jesus] realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?”Mark 5:30

Now, remember what we has been revealed to us as to:

1. The Ark of the Covenant
2. Why the High Priest had to wear the ephod and breastplate when going before it
3. Why all the water basins
4. What happened to Uzzah when HE touched (the Ark)

Given all of this, can you think of ANY reason why our dear Lord would not want someone to touch him... at the time he spoke the words we're talking about here (John 20:17)?

I believe there absolutely was a reason and the basis for it was his love for such ones, which love did not want them to be harmed.

Could they have been? If all that he had told us thus far is true... and I've absolutely NO reason to doubt that it has been... I would they could have been, yes. Even fatally.

I hope you are given eyes to see what I meaning... as to what our dear Lord meant at that time, dear, dear Loz.

As always, peace to you and to you dear household!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:18 pm 

What detriment would it have caused to him or them I'm wondering?

I believe you know what he meant... and it was due to your faith in what we've been given thus far (such that you even considered there might be another interpretation for the wording) that the truth of it has been given YOU

Peace to you ALL today....

I opened this up this am early before leaving for work and read it real fast. Didn't think I heard anything that was truthful.
But this evening after coming home and opening this up, these comments here made what I had thought I heard make sense. Immediately upon reading this I heard, " The body and substance Christ now was, if they had touched or clinged to him would or could have cost them their lives. He was irradiated."
And touching him NOW was dangerous for them.

And since we have been taught a lot about this lately, it is much easier to understand.

Thank you for sharing this, love to you ALL, your sister and fellow servant of Christ, Kim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 pm 

The issue with that explanation, Shelby, is that, eight days later, our Lord had Thomas put his fingers in the hole in his hands and side. (John 20:28) He hadn't ascended yet then, either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:10 pm 

Could it be as we have learned?

Sticking a finger in the hole of a irradiated person can cause one to receive a little radiation which has been used for healing.
On the other hand, if a person was clinging, holding onto, hugging tightly, especially a full body hug and not letting go could receive too much radiation. Possibly?

Finalcall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:21 pm 

You misunderstand, dear LQ (peace to you, dear brother!). Perhaps re-reading Matthew 17:1-3 will help you see. Did he STAY that way... "transfigured"?

The assumption is that the word "ascend" here means a going up. Understandable, since they did see him go up into the clouds. But did he just keep going up, luv, you know, until... what... he left the atmosphere and floated off into space? Say, to some other galaxy? OR... did he leave this [physical] realm/universe... and enter into another? Because the Greek word for "ascend," anabaino (G305) means "step/set foot into the midst of"... or... "enter [into]."

So, in TRUTH, our dear Lord didn't say he hadn't, I dunno, rose into the sky... rose/gone UP to the Father yet, but was rising/going up... but that he had not ENTERED yet but was ENTERING. He could not do that, though, could he, as flesh and blood. He would have to change... transfigure. As those of us who are alive when he returns will have to.

He could, however, "go in AND out," yes? As he said we would... and as he did when he transfigured. Yes? And so turn his "power"... and by that I literally mean power... energy... not strength or the ability to utilize spiritual gifts... ON... AND off. Yes?

So, let's say at the time of John 20:17 he's preparing. Testing the parameters of this ability in preparation for his FULL "ascension." When he enter before the FATHER. Go FULLY "in." Did he not walk through the wall and closed door on that later day, when he showed the holes to Thomas?

We all know flesh and blood can't walk through walls. Yet, JUST after doing so he showed himself to Thomas IN FLESH AND BLOOD. How/why? Because he CHANGED. Went "in" (to spirit) and out again (to flesh/blood)... in a matter of minutes/seconds! He just hadn't gone ALL THE WAY IN... or... "entered" as far as the FATHER! Into the MOST Holy (of the temple/spirit realm) - Revelation 21:22 .

Do you see? He has told us all the things before... about their substance and power, energy, etc., so that we COULD see what's going on in this regard.

See him, preparing to change... [b]enter into SPIRIT}/b]... and someone about to touch/grab/hug/cling to him. Now... picture the Ark... and Uzzah.

I hope that helps.

Peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shel