xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: John 6:53
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:10 pm 

LEAVING_QUIETLY SAID

John 6:53 says, "Accordingly Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to YOU, Unless YOU eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, YOU have no life in yourselves.”"

The question is: what does it mean to "eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood"?

One thing pointed out by WTS and by various commentators is that the Lord's evening meal had not yet been instituted.

http://bible.cc/john/6-53.htm

In addition, going back to previous verses in the same chapter...

verse 35: "Jesus said to them: “I am the bread of life. He that comes to me will not get hungry at all, and he that exercises faith in me will never get thirsty at all."

verse 40: "For this is the will of my Father, that everyone that beholds the Son and exercises faith in him should have everlasting life, and I will resurrect him at the last day.”"

verse 47: "Most truly I say to YOU, He that believes has everlasting life."

So, does eating the flesh and drinking his blood mean literally partaking of the bread and the wine? Or does it mean coming to Christ and exercising faith in him?

Asked otherwise, is the partaking of the bread and the wine at the Lord's evening meal a requirement?

Interestingly, John did not write about the bread and the wine on the night of the Passover.

Post subject: Re: John 6:53
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

PSACRAMENTO SAID

John ordered his gospel in a different manner than the synoptics, he focused on events as opposed to chronology and on the miracles, he also didn't deal with what the other gospels had already done and focused far more on the Jerusalem ministry than the others.
John decides to focus on what happend AFTER the LAst supper rather than what happened during ( hence he mentions judas leaveing AFTER the supper and the breaking of bread and drinking of wine, of which Judas DID partake and he mentions the conversations that happened AFTER and on the way to Jesus being imprisoned).
In regards to your question:
All of John 6 must be taken into account:

Five Thousand Fed

6 After these things Jesus went away to the other side of the Sea of Galilee (or Tiberias). 2 A large crowd followed Him, because they saw the [a]signs which He was performing on those who were sick. 3 Then Jesus went up on the mountain, and there He sat down with His disciples. 4 Now the Passover, the feast of the Jews, was near. 5 Therefore Jesus, lifting up His eyes and seeing that a large crowd was coming to Him, *said to Philip, “Where are we to buy bread, so that these may eat?” 6 This He was saying to test him, for He Himself knew what He was intending to do. 7 Philip answered Him, “Two hundred [b]denarii worth of bread is not sufficient for them, for everyone to receive a little.” 8 One of His disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, *said to Him, 9 “There is a lad here who has five barley loaves and two fish, but what are these for so many people?” 10 Jesus said, “Have the people [c]sit down.” Now there was much grass in the place. So the men [d]sat down, in number about five thousand. 11 Jesus then took the loaves, and having given thanks, He distributed to those who were seated; likewise also of the fish as much as they wanted. 12 When they were filled, He *said to His disciples, “Gather up the leftover fragments so that nothing will be lost.” 13 So they gathered them up, and filled twelve baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves which were left over by those who had eaten. 14 Therefore when the people saw the [e]sign which He had performed, they said, “This is truly the Prophet who is to come into the world.”

Jesus Walks on the Water

15 So Jesus, perceiving that they were [f]intending to come and take Him by force to make Him king, withdrew again to the mountain by Himself alone.

16 Now when evening came, His disciples went down to the sea, 17 and after getting into a boat, they started to cross the sea to Capernaum. It had already become dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. 18 The sea began to be stirred up because a strong wind was blowing. 19 Then, when they had rowed about [g]three or four miles, they *saw Jesus walking on the sea and drawing near to the boat; and they were frightened. 20 But He *said to them, “It is I; [h]do not be afraid.” 21 So they were willing to receive Him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land to which they were going.

22 The next day the crowd that stood on the other side of the sea saw that there was no other small boat there, except one, and that Jesus had not entered with His disciples into the boat, but that His disciples had gone away alone. 23 There came other small boats from Tiberias near to the place where they ate the bread after the Lord had given thanks. 24 So when the crowd saw that Jesus was not there, nor His disciples, they themselves got into the small boats, and came to Capernaum seeking Jesus. 25 When they found Him on the other side of the sea, they said to Him, “Rabbi, when did You get here?”

Words to the People

26 Jesus answered them and said, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. 27 Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.” 28 Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.” 30 So they said to Him, “What then do You do for a sign, so that we may see, and believe You? What work do You perform? 31 Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread out of heaven to eat.’” 32 Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread out of heaven, but it is My Father who gives you the true bread out of heaven. 33 For the bread of God is [i]that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world.” 34 Then they said to Him, “Lord, always give us this bread.”

35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”

Words to the Jews

41 Therefore the Jews were grumbling about Him, because He said, “I am the bread that came down out of heaven.” 42 They were saying, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does He now say, ‘I have come down out of heaven’?” 43 Jesus answered and said to them, “Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught of God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except the One who is from God; He has seen the Father. 47 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. 50 This is the bread which comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”

52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever.”

Words to the Disciples

59 These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum.

60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, “This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?” 61 But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, “Does this cause you to stumble? 62 What then if you see the Son of Man ascending to where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would [j]betray Him. 65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”

Peter’s Confession of Faith

66 As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore. 67 So Jesus said to the twelve, “You do not want to go away also, do you?” 68 Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. 69 We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God.” 70 Jesus answered them, “Did I Myself not choose you, the twelve, and yet one of you is a devil?” 71 Now He meant Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the twelve, [k]was going to betray Him.

Site Admin

PSACRAMENTO SAID

To eat of his flesh and drink of His blood is symbolic of getting ALL we need from Christ for our salvation.
He truly is our food and water, what sustains us for all eternity.

When we partake of His blood and flesh ( which we don't do literally and concretely since He is not of blood and flesh in that way, nor are we cannibals) we are making a gesture of devotion, of true worship of Our Lord that is The Word of God.
We should do this every time we eat since the food we have that sustains us corporeally is a blessing from Our Lord that sustains us spiritually.
Not going to get into the debate about consubstantiation but suffice to say that in doing this we are making an action of love, devotion and worship of Our Lord and Beloved Father.

Site Admin

TEC SAID

We do feed off Him... his words, his spirit, his life... true.

But my Lord reminds me that thinking everything is symbolic... is a more modern idea (though it happened early on as well) that helps to make things more complicated as men look for hidden meanings and secrets and such in the written word. Comes from a lack of faith... in His promises (that He WILL do as He has said... sort of like having a back-up plan - excuse - in case something does not happen as written; or as some have interpreted something)

(Much simpler, however, would be simply to ask the One who said the words, and who knew what He meant.)

The simple answer is that He gave instruction of what was to come, when Christ constituted the bread as His flesh, and the wine as His blood... and said EAT; DRINK. This is my body and my blood.

Peace to you,
tammy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

JOCHY SAID

The fact that the words of Jesus in John 6:54 were said a year before the Last Supper is no reason to think that those words wouldn't also have a fulfillment in that occasion when it was established the proclamation of his death, that is, the sacrifice for the benefit of humanity. He spoke of many things long before they happened and that doesn't mean that when happen in the future, near or far, those things were not related to what was said earlier by the mere fact of speaking them before their realization. I hope my English is understood.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

One thing pointed out by WTS and by various commentators is that the Lord's evening meal had not yet been instituted.

Such a funny position, dear LQ (peace to you!). It suggests that he never said something BEFORE it was to occur. He also said to Nicodemus that one had to be born AGAIN to enter/see the kingdom. And that one had to go THROUGH him to come to the Father. Do we say, "Well, he didn't mean Nicodemus because no one had been born again, yet!"? Or that "He didn't mean his disciples because no one had gone through him, yet!"?

Silliness...

Quote:
Quote:
In addition, going back to previous verses in the same chapter...

verse 35: "Jesus said to them: “I am the bread of life. He that comes to me will not get hungry at all, and he that exercises faith in me will never get thirsty at all."

verse 40: "For this is the will of my Father, that everyone that beholds the Son and exercises faith in him should have everlasting life, and I will resurrect him at the last day.”"

verse 47: "Most truly I say to YOU, He that believes has everlasting life."

So, does eating the flesh and drinking his blood mean literally partaking of the bread and the wine? Or does it mean coming to Christ and exercising faith in him?

Per my Lord, two things:

1. "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord' did we not do such and so in your name?" Surely, those who DID such and so ALSO exercised faith in him, yes? Because they DID such and so "on the basis of [his] name." And so, they had to have faith IN that name... AND the One who's name it was... yes?

2. My Lord is recorded to have said:

If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words[/b]; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me." John 14:23, 24

and...

"KEEP doing this in remembrance of me..."

and...

"He that is faithful in what is LEAST is faithful in MUCH."

Quote:
Quote:
Asked otherwise, is the partaking of the bread and the wine at the Lord's evening meal a requirement?

A requirement... no, I wouldn't say a requirement, as in a law. It is a requirement IF one wishes to (1) be in union with Christ, (2) be resurrected if they die, and (3) live forever, yes. I mean, that is what Christ SAID, isn't it? But each one CAN choose, of course. Always. Unlike under the Law, there's no stoning involved if you don't. Indeed, it's the opposite - people were literally stoned... and are spiritually stoned for DOING so.

Quote:
Quote:
Interestingly, John did not write about the bread and the wine on the night of the Passover.

Not in the detail the others did, perhaps not, dear one, but he did allude to it when he addressed the morsel given to Judas. And it was Lazarus, aka Simon the Leper/Kanean (Zealot) and not any John, who wrote the account - John 21:20-24; 13:23; 11:3)).

From Lazarus, who was there:

"[b]And supper being ended
, the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him, [Jesus], knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded."

"So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet."

"When [Jesus] had said these things, He was troubled in spirit, and testified and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me.” Then the disciples looked at one another, perplexed about whom He spoke. Now there was leaning on [Jesus’] bosom one of His disciples, whom [Jesus] loved. Simon Peter therefore motioned to him to ask who it was of whom He spoke.

"Leaning back on [Jesus’] breast, he said to Him, “Lord, who is it?”

[Jesus] answered, “It is he to whom I shall give a piece of bread when I have dipped it.” And having dipped the bread, He gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him." John 13:2-5, 12-14, 21-27

From Matthew, who was also there:

"... the disciples did as [Jesus] had directed them; and they prepared the Passover. When evening had come, He sat down with the twelve. Now as they were eating, He said, “Assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me.” And they were exceedingly sorrowful, and each of them began to say to Him, “Lord, is it I?”

"He answered and said, “He who dipped his hand with Me in the dish will betray Me. The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.”

"Then Judas, who was betraying Him, answered and said, “Rabbi, is it I?”

"He said to him, “You have said it.”

"And as they were eating, [Jesus] took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new[c] covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”

"And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olive
s." Matthew 26:19-30

From Mark, who was not there:

"He sent out two of His disciples and said to them, “Go into the city, and a man will meet you carrying a pitcher of water; follow him. Wherever he goes in, say to the master of the house, ‘The Teacher says, “Where is the guest room in which I may eat the Passover with My disciples?”’ Then he will show you a large upper room, furnished and prepared; there make ready for us.”

"So His disciples went out, and came into the city, and found it just as He had said to them; and they prepared the Passover. In the evening He came with the twelve. Now as they sat and ate, [Jesus] said, “Assuredly, I say to you, one of you who eats with Me will betray Me.” And they began to be sorrowful, and to say to Him one by one, “Is it I?” And another said, “Is it I?”

"He answered and said to them, “It is one of the twelve, who dips with Me in the dish. The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had never been born.”

"And as they were eating, [Jesus] took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them and said, “Take, eat; this is My body." Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And He said to them, “This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many. Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

"And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives
." Mark 14:13-26

And finally, from Luke, who also was not there, but included the disclaimer that he (1) interviewed eyewitnesses and (2) wrote his account to Theophilus in order:

"He said to them, “Behold, when you have entered the city, a man will meet you carrying a pitcher of water; follow him into the house which he enters. Then you shall say to the master of the house, ‘The Teacher says to you, “Where is the guest room where I may eat the Passover with My disciples?”’ Then he will show you a large, furnished upper room; there make ready.”

"So they went and found it just as He had said to them, and they prepared the Passover. When the hour had come, He sat down, and the twelve apostles with Him. Then He said to them, “With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, “Take this and divide it among yourselves; for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you. But behold, the hand of My betrayer is with Me on the table. And truly the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom He is betrayed!”

Then they began to question among themselves, which of them it was who would do this thing
." Luke 22:10-23

Per Luke's account, there was much more discussion before they left the table and the room. But that should be expected, as neither Matthew, Mark, nor Lazarus were scribes/historians. Matthew was a tax collector; Mark, a fisherman like his father Peter; and Lazarus was a former Pharisee, now a zealot against the Romans, and frought with leprosy.

Luke, however, was commissioned by a Greek or Roman ruler/nobleman, Theophilus to write out an account of what took place because there apparently were so MANY accounts that it was difficult to know which was true (and note, only one of those "many" accounts, Matthew's, is in the Bible canon). Along with accompanying Paul at times, therefore, he also interviewed many people, including those who were eyewitnesses to the events he reported on. Meaning... most if not all of the other 9 apostles present (meaning, not Matthew or Lazarus, who wrote their own accounts, and not Judas, who was no longer around), and/or the man in whose house the whole thing took place (and who wasn't one of the 12).

There is a MUCH better way to find out what actually occurred, though, dear one, than trying to piece it together by reading four different accounts: ask the One who was not only there, but who hosted the event... and who, by means of holy spirit, can SHOW you what took place, why... and what he instructed his disciples to do... then and since.

Oh, and that fact that the disciples were still doing it later... per Paul's accounts... should show that THE APOSTLES and THEY all thought it should be done. I mean, who else told them about it... and showed them how to do it, if not the Apostles? Paul said who told HIM:

"For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken[c] for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.
1 Corinthians 11:23-26

So, well, it SEEMS like they all knew... and partook... back THEN. Indeed, ALL christians did... until the WTBTS "shut UP the kingdom of the heavens before men"... when they started teaching their false "two hopes"... and thus, two covenants... and thus, two Lords... doctrine in 1935.

I hope this helps, dear LQ, truly. But, as with everything I share, you don't have to take MY word for it. You, too, can do as Paul... and I... did... and get it straight from the horse's mouth. Because he speaks... to HIS sheep... and HIS sheep hear HIS voice. John 10:16, 27

Peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

JOCHY SAID

Quote:
AGuest wrote:

Such a funny position, dear LQ (peace to you!). It suggests that he never said something BEFORE it was to occur. He also said to Nicodemus that one had to be born AGAIN to enter/see the kingdom. And that one had to go THROUGH him to come to the Father. Do we say, "Well, he didn't mean Nicodemus because no one had been born again, yet!"? Or that "He didn't mean his disciples because no one had gone through him, yet!"?

Silliness...

Gracias querida amiga Shelby, That was exactly what I wanted to say.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

De nada, querido hermano Jochy! Actually, I agree with you ALL here, but I think our posts crossed. So my apologies if it looks like I was disagreeing or "speaking over" someone.

Peace to you all!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellama

Site Admin

JOCHY SAID

No, no, no, no apology is needed. On the contrary, thank you very much because you expressed clearly what I meant and I could not for my limited language.

Site Admin

TEC SAID

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 pm Post subject:
I thought you expressed yourself very well, Jochy. I agreed with all you said, and the rest that was expressed as well. It did seem that we all cross-posted

Peace,
tammy

Site Admin

JOCHY SAID

Gracias Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

LEAVINGQUIETLY SAID

Thanks to all for your responses.

Interestingly, in 1933, The Watchtower (p. 8 applied John 6:53 to all. In 1938 (p. 71), it applied only to the "little flock". It was right between this period when the understanding about who make up the great crowd or great multitude changed (May 31, 1935 convention talk).