xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:19 pm 

May you all have peace!

I am directed to share the following tonight, for someone who needs it (I do not know who but I am assured the person will know it is for them - to such one, peace to you! and please know you do not have to respond and expose yourself. The information is for you, in response to a question you've asked... and that is sufficient).

I am to share the following two ways... out of MANY... but again, in response to what has been asked... that one who is seeking Christ can KNOW any religion, cause, or movement that CLAIMS to follow/belong to him, does NOT:

1. It/he/she doesn't pay taxes under the claim of "religious tax exemption." Christ paid taxes and told his disciples to do so ("Pay Caesar's things to Caesar"). In contrast, the corrupt temple priests did not... and the hypocritical religious leaders fought against submitting to Rome's "Caesar's) taxation (hence, the uprisings against Rome and it's resultant occupation of Jerusalem).

2. They charge (exact tithing/ask for donations-contributions), although what they supposedly are "giving" to the people, they received by "holy spirit"... and thus FREE. In contrast, Christ told his disciples "You RECEIVED free; GIVE free!"

Some tout the actions of the early Body, which gave for those who did not have, as a justification to live... or further their "ministries"... off the donations of others. Some misstate Paul's intent, when he quoted "the worker is worthy of his wage" as a reason to exact tithing or call for donations.

As to the first, yes, these gave... money and more... but NOT to the temple at Jerusalem, and certainly not to the care of its religious leaders. They gave... to have such distributed to the POOR among them. Particularly, widows and orphans. NOT to keep grown. able-bodied men in good care. Indeed, that was the PURPOSE for "overseers": to "oversee" the DISTRIBUTION (of donated money, food, clothing, etc.) TO the widows/orphans:

"Now in those days when the disciples were increasing, the Greek-speaking Jews began complaining against the Hebrew-speaking Jews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution. So the Twelve called the multitude of the disciples together and said: “It is not right* for us to leave the word of God to distribute food to tables. So, brothers, select for yourselves seven reputable men from among you, full of spirit and wisdom, that we may appoint them over this necessary matter; but we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the Word.” What they said was pleasing to the whole multitude, and they selected Stephen, a man full of faith and holy spirit, as well as Philip, Proch′o·rus, Ni·ca′nor, Ti′mon, Par′me·nas, and Nic·o·la′us, a proselyte of Antioch. They brought them to the apostles, and after praying, they laid their hands on them." Acts 6:1-5

These, dear one... were the first "APPOINTED"... "OVERSEERS." They were NOT appointed over the people's FAITH (2 Corinthians 1:24, but solely over the DISTRIBUTION of items donated... to the widows, orphans, and poor! [list]James 1:27

And ALL of these appointed men... WORKED. JOBS. And NOT as paid "ministers." They were men of skilled trades, merchants, agriculture, husbandry, fishing, tailoring, carpentry, and more. We can KNOW this because they were "REPUTABLE" men and, as Paul also wrote:

"Let him that does not WORK, not EAT." 2 Thessalonians 3:10

HE worked, Paul did, literally - he gave up his affluent life as a Pharisee for sewing tents to pay for HIS ministry. And he relied on our dear Lord (who ALSO worked... as a carpenter!)... to care for his physical needs. They just didn't squander their earnings, but lived thriftily... "simply."

Paul also wrote to his protoge, Timothy, that:

"A man who does not provide for his own household is worse than a man without faith." 1 Timothy 5:8

Some [men AND women] get around this... by not having a family. No family, no obligation... right? BUT... nothing wrong with having others pay to care for THEM... right? Wrong! If ANYONE had a right to cared for physically by his congregation, it was... and is... Christ. Yet, what did he EVER take from his disciples? When did THEY feed HIM? Did HE not feed the crowds? And when did THEY pay HIS taxes? Did he not pay the taxes for them ALL?

And so, in answer to your "questions," dear one... whoever you are... these are just two "fruits", among many, by which you can KNOW that a religion, cause, movement, cult, "ministry"... or what it/he/she is called... does NOT belong to or is supported by Christ. Two very SIMPLE things... that say a LOT.

You will not fine ONE reference where Christ took a donation, contribution, or "tithe", from anyone. Not a single soul. You will find several references, however, where he GAVE. Including... his own blood. You should consider, then, who it is you are TRULY listening to... and following.

I hope this helps... and peace to you!

YOUR servant, as I am servant to ALL those of the Household of God, Israel, and all those who go with... and a slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:41 am 

Very well said Shelby.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:12 am 

Do you have any thoughts about Bible versus that claim that Jesus was cared for by the women that followed him during his ministry. There are other accounts where the disciples and Jesus relied on hospitality. I recall that it is said that they were sent out without money at one point.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:56 am 

anthony wrote:
Do you have any thoughts about Bible versus that claim that Jesus was cared for by the women that followed him during his ministry. There are other accounts where the disciples and Jesus relied on hospitality. I recall that it is said that they were sent out without money at one point.

Tell me Anthony, what do YOU think those passages mean?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:38 pm 

Dear P's (peace to you, dear brother!) question to you notwithstanding dear Anthony (peace to you, as well, and I do hope you will kindly oblige and respond respond to it), my thoughts would most probably be different from yours and perhaps others on this. My thoughts, because (1) having received holy spirit, I have learned the "mind" of Christ, and so what TRULY was the case; as well as (2) because of that spirit... and my love for God and Christ, I learned to seek the "righteousness" of of the kingdom and not look to "find fault," would be:

1. Such reliance was always temporary, and neither Christ nor his disciples made their living on such reliance. Can one accept another's hospitality while engaging in work for Christ? Absolutely! It might actually be unloving to reject such, as it can potentially deny the one offering his/her hospitality the opportunity to do "good" to another, particularly one of Christ's "least" brothers. But accepting another's hospitality has its limits, does it not, and so can go from accepting another's generosity... to outright taking advantage of such one, yes? And where is the love in the latter case, love being what we "owe" one another, as well as the Law's fulfillment?

And...

2. If doing "good" to even a least one of Christ's brothers results in one being greatly blessed (Matthew 25:34-40), what would doing good to Christ himself lead to? In that regard, would Christ... SHOULD Christ... have DENIED the women the opportunity to care for him, if such was according to THEIR will and from THEIR hearts? Given how women generally tend to be caregivers, and particularly for those they love (and we've no reason to think the women in question DIDN'T love Christ, even greatly so)... and given the limitations and restrictions put on (Jewish) women of the time to earn their own money (versus having to turn it over to a husband or father, if there was one), along with physical limitations brought on by sickness, aging, etc., that precluded them from work (outside the home), AND the hypocritical stigma many of the (Jewish) men put on women, including everything from being "she-devils" to solely responsible for activities such as prostitution (because, of course, the "Johns" are only innocent men, GOOD husbands and fathers, wickedly and evilly misled by "loose" women whose only goal in life is to turn some poor man off the "right" path of "goodness"... it is possible this, caring for Christ, was the ONLY WAY such women COULD show their affection for him? Caring for him, in the way that women OFTEN care for others?

You might consider the events recorded at Mark 14:3-9 and Luke 7:36-50. I think that if you grasp what is being said in... and taught BY... those accounts... you will be able to answer your own question similarly in the future. I hope you are able. Both to grasp the lesson(s)... and to share such with others when you are asked as to these matters.

Again, peace to you... and I hope this helps.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:08 pm 

P --

What do I think? I asked and I received this to meditate on:

Care for others is a manifestation of the goodness of God.

edit:

Shelby -- just read your response after I responded. Missed it the first time. I don't disagree. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:45 pm 

I think that it is important to understand that the gospel accounts don't state everything that Jesus and His apostles did.
I mean, trade wise He was a tradesman ( some say wood work, others stone work, doesn't really matter) and that some of the apostles were fishermen, tax collectors, whatever.
What is stated is that they all left what they did to join Jesus and travel with Him WHEN He traveled.
It doesn't mention that they traveled non-stop or whatever.
That Jesus was taken care of by the people He traveled with is perfectly fine and acceptable ( and was in those days) BUT there is no indication that He or the apostles never worked at all during that time, so there is no need to assume they didn't.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:27 am 

Agreed, dear P (peace, dear one!). Because "hospitality" was SUPPOSED to be not just the norm for Israel. but the REQUIREMENT. And not just with "friends" but with strangers, as well. (Isaiah 58:6a, 7

And we have NUMEROUS accounts that show this,, including but NOT limited to:

- Abraham and the three that came to him before the destruction of Sodom
- The woman who had her husband construct a room for Elijah
- The demise of Nabal, the husband of Abigail, for NOT showing hospitality to David
- Our dear Lord's words to dear Lazarus (aka "Simon, the Leper/Zealot") who failed to wash our dear Lord's feet when he came to that one's home
- The admonishments of our dear Lord, and Paul, James, Peter, and John... regarding showing hospitality (and the blessings/kudos to those who showed such toward them and other members of the early Body).

There are just WAY too many verses for me to cite here. But there was a time when people were supposed to be able to RELY, at least from ISRAEL, on being cared for as they traveled. Being able to stay over in a stranger's house, even... without fear of harm (OR the householder fearing harm FROM the traveling stranger!).

We are, perhaps, a long way from THAT, given the millenia that have past. I have taken several "strangers" into my home in the past - some good, some not so good. But we STILL owe one ANOTHER, at least, that kind of love and hospitality. Eye-ee... the SAME that we would give CHRIST, should HE show up at our doorstep.

Problem(s) TODAY is:

(1) How do we KNOW that the one asking of us IS a member of our Lord's Body? The answer to which is... sometimes... we don't. Sometimes, then, we have to just go on FAITH... do the RIGHT thing ("You MUST love your neighbor AS you love yourself")... and let our Father, THROUGH our dear Lord... work it out. Keeping the safety of our own household in mind, of course, but not making that SUCH an exception that we CANNOT extend the "hand" of love, where it is warranted;

(2) MANY will come, "on the basis of his name"... claiming to belong to/ stating a union with our dear Lord... with nothing of the sort REALLY going on. Rather, they have learned that we are "bound" to the Law [of LOVE]... and so take advantage of that love, saying things like "If YOU... TRULY belonged to Christ... YOU would [do such and so for me]. Whatever it is such one wants [you to do]. The response to that is that while, yes, there ARE those folks out there, OUR task... is to listen to our dear Lord as to who they TRULY are. Beccause in listening to OURSELVES, we COULD "rationalize" that such persons are NOT of Christ and so miss OUT on "doing good" to one of his brothers. Alternatively, we could assume such one(s) IS/ARE... and be fooled/misled.

(3) And most sadly, some... do not know how to RECEIVE hospitality. Rather, some, for whatever reason... not only move toward taking advantage of hospitality, but go so far as to consider it an entitlement. And in doing so, conduct themselves horrendously. NOT in line with Christ, who made himself the SERVANT, but as one who feels himself/herself "entitled" (to another's good graces).

Note: This latter one is a very sad situation because it can include, today, even those who ARE of Israel... in the flesh... AND those who MAY be, in spirit. If they are of Israel of flesh AND spirit (or of spirit, as one of the "nations")... we can only pray that such ones SEE their "error"... recognize that, in spite of the FLESHLY upbringing or POV... unless they become SERVANTS, as Christ was and taught HIS Body to be... and TURN back... they may have to accept delegation to a "lesser" seat in the "house". I digress.]

How do WE know, though, as to number 2? Only one way: ask. EVEN SO, though... even if we "hear" that they do NOT belong to him... LOVE... "covers"... a multitude of transgressions. And so, we might show hospitality... EVEN THOUGH... such one does NOT belong to our dear Lord.

Alternatively... and this is something that I have been allowed to do (praise JAH, there is ALWAYS a "way"... even if the "way" is a way OUT)... rather than receive someone 'suspect' into one's home (which could put such and his/her household at risk)... I was permitted, instead, to pay for a few nights' lodging elsewhere. Which I believe was better for EVERYONE: the one in need as WELL as my own household (teenage daughter - not letting some strange man stay in my house... sorry. Don't really care WHO he claims to be. But also could not shut the door of compassion on him, either. I think you all know what I mean). I say "permitted" because, JUST prior to... I didn't have a dime!. I knew, though, when I received the "funds"... who and what they were for. AND Whom the funds came FROM. And using them as I KNEW they were meant to be... I subsequently received EVEN MORE.

I am not sharing this with you dear, DEAR people... in order to make myself look... righteous. "Better." I am NOT. I am sharing it because I know you struggle with the same situations... and questions. And wonder... "what to do?"

I cannot tell you what to do. I can only share what has occurred with ME. And what has occurred with ME is that... when I LISTEN to our dear Lord... and do HIS will... he always... ALWAYS... either (1) helps me do whatever it is HE wants done; (2) gives ME the COURAGE to show love; and/or (3) makes a way out. And by "makes a way out" I don't mean makes an excuse NOT to show love. I mean, makes a way wherein I (and my household) are not put in physical (let alone, spiritual) danger.

Our dear Lord was hospitable. Remember, although by the time it took place HE had NO place to lay HIS head... HE hosted the last meal his initial chosen Apostles had with him! True. he delegated some of the preparations to them, but he COULD have put it ALL on them ("Hey, yeah, I'm coming to YOUR house THIS year. Matthew - Is everything ready?"). But he took care of the actual meal; indeed, he did so even before he dispatched his disciples to get things ready. They couldn't have done so... had he not already covered the expenses... whatever they were... however he was able to do so.

He, a mere carpenter... deformed and greatly afflicted... with nowhere to lay HIS head, by this time. Showed hospitality to... and so provided and "cared for" those HE loved... in spite of it. NOT... required them to show hospitality to... and care for... HIM.

We have a "shining" example, dear ones. And... a voice. And, regardless of what ANYONE might say to the contrary, I KNOW... we ALL... AS A SPECIES... and "KIND"... hear it. We KNOW what we "ought" to do. We just always manage to find "reasons" NOT to do it. Myself included, were I LISTEN to "myself" and not the One who speaks... "from the heavens (kingdom)"... which is INSIDE you.

I hope this helps... truly.

Peace... to you ALL... and to your dear, dear households!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shel... who posted this under the influence of a good deal of cold medicine (and so my sincere apologies to you dear ones AND to my dear Lord, the HOLY One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH (MischaJAH) but I didn't want to beg off), so please overlook any typos,wrong words, etc., and use your GOOD judgment, please (i.e., listen to and be guided by Christ, the TRUTH)... where something doesn't seem to make sense...