xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Walk by Faith
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:05 pm 

Peace to you all.

I contemplated putting this thread in the "just for fun" section, but am writing here instead, after all.

There is a new tattoo that I have seen on a couple of co-workers in the past couple of months (not since winter brought in long sleeves and socks, mind you). One has the tattoo written upon their forearm, and the other upon their foot. Now, I have found this tattoo to be cute/funny... in an ironic sort of way. Not in a bad way; just in an amusing way, since I am often amused by irony.

So, the tattoo is: "Walk by faith."

Hopefully most of you get why I find that sort of amusing. The verse at 2 Corinthians 5:7 of course is "... for we walk by faith, not by sight..."

So my humor is in a visual reminder to walk by faith, not by sight ; )

I'm not knocking the tattoo or the choice to have the tattoo or anything, so please do not mistake me. Sometimes a "visible" reminder that we are supposed to be LISTENING to the Spirit (walking by faith) may be helpful, especially if we tend to lapse back into walking by sight over walking by faith. (Even though I don't think everyone understands what it means to walk by faith, so the tattoo might mean something else for others. Something I might ask about when summer and short sleeves come back around.)

But I did find it amusing, for the reasons I stated, and just wanted to share with the rest of you.

Peace again,
your sister and servant, and slave of Christ,
tammy

Post subject: Re: Walk by Faith
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:25 pm 

LOL, and I hear ya sis!

We all need reminders often.
But for some a daily reminder close by ( on the body lol) may be what one needs to eventually " get it".

Thanks for sharing this,
Love your sister in Christ, Kim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:02 pm 

Quote:
But for some a daily reminder close by ( on the body lol) may be what one needs to eventually " get it".

Yes. But I feel I should make a clarification. While we are learning to walk by faith, a visual reminder may be helpful. But once we have learned (this particular lesson) we should not need the 'tool' (the tutor?) that helped us come to and put faith in Christ, the Living Spirit, who speaks and teaches us, Himself.

Because once we have learned to come to and put faith in Christ, then if we do need a reminder TO listen (and walk by faith, rather than by sight)... we are able to hear and to listen to Christ, who can remind and teach us of this (or anything at all), Himself. He is the only One we need, and HE will teach and guide us into all truth.

I know you know this, Kim. I just needed to make that clarification.

Peace again,
your sister and servant, and fellow slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:59 pm 

Absolutely agreed!

Once we understand the WHO that is the means we walk by....

It is only by Him that a reminder should come YES!

Thank you again for this clarification,
Happy holidays to you and your family,
Love your sister in Christ, Kim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 am 

I love you two ladies. Truly. More than words can say. THANK you, both, for this interchange. I have nothing add to it, but just wanted to share how much reading it made my heart REJOICE!

Who needs religious leaders... pastors, elders, popes, priests, bishops... whatever? Can you imagine... a world where EVERYONE just learned from Christ himself... and shared... so that ALL grew up TOGETHER? No hierarchy. No clergy/laity. No "GB"/"elders"/rank and file. But just people... coming to know Christ... and God, THROUGH Christ... and openly sharing their what they've learned with one another... with no one having to be "leader"... or (the sole) "teacher"... or the "only one" who gets it...

And I know that this is possible HERE... because for the most part, we HERE... DO... walk by faith.

A WHOLE lot different than from what religion... and particularly the WTBTS (and, for some, the RCC. etc.)... taught us, yes?

I am about to turn in, dear ones... and KNOW my sleep will be the wonderful, PEACEFUL experience it has been for decades now. Simply because I KNOW... YOU dear ones (and not just you two) GET it.

Be still... my heart.

And peace to ALL of you dear... dear to my Lord and so to me... ones.

YSSFS of Christ,

Shel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:38 pm 

For sheer irony, read Obama's speech on the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King's famous "I Have a Dream" speech and note all the scriptural references, especially those relating to faith. He uses Bible verses to foster dependence on the American government!