xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What is the will of God?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:29 am 

Doing 'word studies' is very helpful for showing what is stated about certain topics. One study I've done, but not completed until today is about the will of God. I have a searchable Bible database that I created based on the old NWT that shows me every occurrance of a word or phrase of my choosing in book, chapter, verse order. For this study, I was looking for four phrases: "will of him", "will of God", "God's will" and "will of my Father". From this, we can find out what the will of God is. Is it the preaching work? Let us see. In the verses below, I have highlighted the ones that EXPLAIN what God's will is.

Matt 7:21: "Not everyone saying to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will
Matt 12:50: For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother."
Mark 3:35: Whoever does the will of God, this one is my brother and sister and mother."
John 4:34: Jesus said to them: "My food is for me to do the will of him that sent me and to finish his work.
John 5:30: I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative; just as I hear, I judge; and the judgment that I render is righteous, because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him that sent me.
John 6:38: because I have come down from heaven to do, not my will, but the will of him that sent me.
John 6:39: This is the will of him that sent me, that I should lose nothing out of all that he has given me but that I should resurrect it at the last day.
John 6:40: For this is the will of my Father, that everyone that beholds the Son and exercises faith in him should have everlasting life, and I will resurrect him at the last day."
Acts 13:36: For David, on the one hand, served the express will of God in his own generation and fell asleep [in death] and was laid with his forefathers and did see corruption.
Rom 1:10: begging that if at all possible I may now at last be prospered in the will of God so as to come to YOU.
Rom 12:2: And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making YOUR mind over, that YOU may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Rom 15:32: so that when I get to YOU with joy by God's will I shall be refreshed together with YOU.
1 Cor 1:1: Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through God's will, and Sos'the•nes our brother
2 Cor 1:1: Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through God's will, and Timothy [our] brother to the congregation of God that is in Corinth, together with all the holy ones who are in all of A•cha'ia:
2 Cor 8:5: And not merely as we had hoped, but first they gave themselves to the Lord and to us through God's will.
Eph 1:1: Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through God's will, to the holy ones who are [in Eph'e•sus] and faithful ones in union with Christ Jesus:
Eph 4:24: and should put on the new personality which was created according to God's will in true righteousness and loyalty.
Eph 6:6: not by way of eye-service as men pleasers, but as Christ's slaves, doing the will of God whole-souled.
Col 1:1: Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through God's will, and Timothy [our] brother
Col 4:12: Ep'a•phras, who is from among YOU, a slave of Christ Jesus, sends YOU his greetings, always exerting himself in YOUR behalf in [his] prayers, that YOU may finally stand complete and with firm conviction in all the will of God.
1 Thess 5:18: In connection with everything give thanks. For this is the will of God in union with Christ Jesus respecting YOU.
2 Tim 1:1: Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through God's will according to the promise of the life that is in union with Christ Jesus,
Heb 10:36: For YOU have need of endurance, in order that, after YOU have done the will of God, YOU may receive the [fulfillment of the] promise.
1 Pet 2:15: For so the will of God is, that by doing good YOU may muzzle the ignorant talk of the unreasonable men.
1 Pet 3:17: For it is better to suffer because YOU are doing good, if the will of God wishes it, than because YOU are doing evil.
1 Pet 4:2: to the end that he may live the remainder of [his] time in the flesh, no more for the desires of men, but for God's will.
1 Pet 4:19: So, then, also let those who are suffering in harmony with the will of God keep on commending their souls to a faithful Creator while they are doing good.
1 Jo 2:17: Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

WTBTS loves to use John 4:34 to "prove" that Jesus' food was to preach. But is that what HE said? He said it was God's will that he should lose nothing out of all that He (God) has given him. Does that mean "preaching"? What about us? Is God's will for us the same as God's will for his Son? The subsequent verses in John 4:35-38 seem to indicate that the "harvesting" work has something to do with it, but I'm not quite certain what this refers to anymore. What, exactly, is this harvesting work? Is this the main "will of God"?

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:30 am 

This doesn't have the word 'will' in it, so it would not show up on your search. But it IS what God told us to DO.

"This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to Him."

Peace to you Leaving!
Your sister and servant, and a fellow slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:05 pm 

The will of God is best summarized in the famous verse John 3:16:
"...so that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
His will is that all will choose be saved.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:12 pm 

I will add this, dear LQ (peace to you!):

“Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”

And so, in resurrecting those loved by JAH, doing good to others, even one's enemies, listening to Christ, etc.... ALL of those things can be summed up FOR us in one statement:

"To OBEY... is BETTER... than sacrifice."

Hence, our dear Lord said, through David:

Sacrifice and offering you did not desire
but my ears you have opened
burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.
Then I said, “Here I am, I have come
it is written about me in the scroll."

What did our dear Lord come to DO? Among the things you mentioned, dear one (LQ), we have:

"I desire to do your will, my God;
your law is within my heart.”

And what was THAT will?

I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly;
I do not seal my lips, Lord,
as you know.
I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help.
I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness
from the great assembly."
Psalm 40:6-10

And so Paul quoted Isaiah:

"How BEAUTIFUL are the feet OF the One (those) bringing GOOD news, the One (those) publishing PEACE, the One (those) bringing good news OF SOMETHING better, the One (those) publishing SALVATION, the One (those) saying... TO ZION (Israel)... 'JaHVeH reigns'"! Isaiah 52:7; Romans 10:15

True, most Bible versions say "Elohim/God reigns, is king, has become king." But that's because the scribes felt the name of the MOST HOLY One of Israel, JAH of Armies, to sacred to be uttered... and so replaced that name with "Elohim," "Adonai," etc.

But for US, CHRIST reigning is PROOF that JAH reigns... because He is the One who installed CHRIST. And so, while the Prophets quote our dear Father, JAH, as saying this about His Son... that Son having come and declared such GOOD news, such that HIS were the FIRST beautiful feet... once HE was installed, WE can now say about HIM what HE said about the Father: that he is ALIVE... and reigns... and SPEAKS... and is NOT dead... as many have made them out to be!

How can DO the will of God, though, dear one... if one does not KNOW God? Worse, how can one do His will... if one doesn't even know ABOUT Him, so AS to know His will? And how can one know ABOUT him... if no one has TOLD them?

And so His Son, our dear Lord, the HOLY One of Israel, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH (MischaJah)... CAME... to TELL us... the TRUTH... about the MOST HOLY One of Israel... INCLUDING His Most Holy NAME... and THAT One... the MOST Holy One, in turn... has told us to listen to... and glorify... that Son. So, just as the Son glorified the Father and told US to glorify the Father... and the Father glorified the Son and told US to glorify that Son... how can we DO that if we don't LISTEN to "how" that Son says TO do that?

So, the will of God is, as you've shared, yes, to resurrect, heal, make peace with/among, release, forgive, have faith, do good, and more, yes. ALL of that. And ALL of that STARTS... with OBEYING the One who shows us HOW to do God's will, the One SENT to show us. We can listen to him, yes, so as to HEAR him. But hearing... is not DOING. Jonah heard. Look what it took for him to DO, though.

As any parent would agree... when we OBEY... is when we are TRULY... listening.

I hope this helps!

Peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

Shellamacaroni...