xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm 

WATERSPROUT SAID

Back then they would live into their hundred's and now humans are lucky to reach eighty and still be able to walk!

So what was their secret? Was it the type of food they ate? Did they have a stress free lifestyle? It seemed stressful to live to live in those times, so that can't be it!

Flesh is flesh so it can't have anything to do with ''the flesh ages faster because it's become more imperfect as time has gone by'' curtesy of JW teaching.

So anyone have any idea's, because I really want the secret!

Peace!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

TEC SAID

Did they live into their hundreds? I didn't know that. Some sure, but was that the majority? Just asking cause i don't know.

My family, on my mother's side, has some longevity in it. A few made it into their early hundreds. Those that have not... its been heart attacks, or strokes, or cancer. But heart disease is the thing that takes my family younger.

My grandmother has a picture of me with my great, great, (great?) grandfather. I think there is a century between us in that picture. I am 4, he is 104. He was blind; I can remember being a bit uncomfortable because he had his hands feeling my face. But he lived a few more years after that, and my great great (great?) grandmother lived into her hundreds as well. A few into their nineties.

Maybe we have more stress today.. just from living a much faster paced lifestyle. Plus we have more causes of cancer and such things. I don't know. Like I said, I never realized they lived that long then

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

What one has to consider, dear WS (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!), is what constituted a "year" at the time of these long lives. We currently follow the Gregorian calendar, which differs from the Hebrew calendar. The current Jewish calendar (which is generally based on 12 lunar months but sometimes has 13 months because it varies in number of days - from year to year - i.e., 353 to 385 days, depending) follows not only the Hebrew calendar but includes parts of the Babylonian and Greek calendars, as well.

But what about before the Law covenant, with its harvests, plantings, festivals, features, and observations? How was a "year" determined then? We can try and guess from ancient artifacts/archeological finds, but those only speak to the measure of such time for the civilizations that created them. There is nothing that explains, literally, what a "year" was in, say, Adham's "day." Or Noah's... or Methuselah's, etc.

Even so, whether one lives 40 years... or 400 hundred years... if one is doing so in the body of flesh [with its blood] such life is only temporary - it WILL come to an end at some point, one way (death) or another (metamorphosis).

In that light, pursuing the life that does NOT end is what has been held out to all of mankind, starting with Abel (and perhaps Adham/Eve, as JAH shows mercy to whomever He wishes to show it!). This is the "hope" set before ALL of us... and the invitation which our Adversary hopes to get us to WILLINGLY reject. Not reject because we don't know any better, but reject IN SPITE of what we know.

As he tried with Job: to get us to curse God... and die, eternally. Body AND spirit.

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

SA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

WATERSPROUT SAID

Tammy that's what I was thinking, was it true or just an mistranslation by the scribes. Blimey your family live to a good age lol! Looks like you will be outliving the majority of us LOL!

Paul i'm juicing! Spinach and brocolli with plenty of fruit to mask the taste lol

Shel could it have been that each ''year'' began at the start of each festival? You know how those Israelites liked to party LOL!

This is something that has always bothered me as regards the ages... I mean how does ''flesh'' carry on for that long. It just seems unrealistic. Plus I used to laugh at how one of the JW teachings was there was a reason that a human didn't live to be 1000 years and that there was a reason to it. Only they needed the light to get brighter! Oh my goodness I knew it was all bull back then and yet I still STAYED!

Peace!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

AGUEST SAID

Quote:
Quote:
how does ''flesh'' carry on for that long.

Maybe by means of holy spirit, dear one (peace to you!)? I mean, Paul (?) did write:

"You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the spirit, if indeed the spirit of God dwells in you. And if anyone does not have the spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the spirit gives life because of righteousness. And if the spirit of him who raised [Jesus] from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his spirit that dwells lives in you." Romans 8:9, 10

It's what kept Israel and those who went with them alive during their 40 years in the wilderness of Sinai, right?

Just a thought, girl. Can be hard to wrap one's head around, I know. Praise JAH... we only need to wrap our heads around Christ - LOLOL!

Peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

SA