xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:23 am 

As of this morning fires are still raging.
They look terribly close to the second house on the other end of the property.
I hope my buddy doesn`t lose that one.
There`s enough devastating loss on the property already.

Fire is blocking all 3 entrances to get into the mountains where I live.
2 of the entrances are burning on both sides of the road, at the road.
Fire crews and water bombers only, what a mess...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:33 pm 

Quote:
Vernon
Military relocating from 100 Mile House to join White Rock Lake wildfire fight
More forces join fire fight

Jon Manchester - Aug 27, 2021 / 5:00 pm | Story: 344160
More military are headed to Vernon.

The Canadian Armed Forces is moving troops from 100 Mile House to Vernon on Saturday, to help with the White Rock Lake wildfire.

Land Task Force Vernon will be conducting a road move of approximately 80 personnel and their equipment from 100 Mile House to Vernon via highways 97 and 1, says public affairs officer Capt. Jamie Blois.

There will be large, green medium support vehicles and multiple pickups transiting the route in small groupings.

This has the possibility of creating congestion or slowdowns along the route, the military advises.

"Fellow motorists are requested to be patient and give space on the road while troops and equipment are relocated from 100 Mile House, where they were based while helping BC Wildfire Service combat the Flat Lake fire, to the Vernon Cadet Training Centre, where they will assist BCWS combat the White Rock Lake fire," says Blois.

The Land Task Force is participating in Operation LENTUS, the Canadian Armed Forces’ response to natural disasters, on the request of the Government of British Columbia.

They sent this guy home...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:47 pm 

My area is still under Evacuation Order going on 4 weeks now.
I`ve been given extensions on my hotel stay and meals, which I`m grateful for.
Who knows, I could be here another 2 weeks.

I had an appointment with Red Cross in another town.
AntiVaxxers had a huge Anti-Vax Rally in the town park.
I don`t think I`ll be taking any Medical Advice from them, anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:09 am 

Quote:
Vernon News
Succesful planned burn at White Rock Lake will help evacuees return home sooner
Light at the end of the tunnel

Colin Dacre - Aug 31, 2021 / 4:00 am | Story: 344354

Evacuated residents of Westside Road may now have a light at the end of the tunnel after Monday’s successful controlled burn at the White Rock Lake wildfire.

The BC Wildfire Service says it may now be able to contain the monster of a fire within a week to 10 days, thanks to the 3,000-hectare burn yesterday. Had the fire been allowed to burn naturally, it would have taken six weeks to achieve containment.

Fire officials say the area where the ignitions occurred between Six Mile Creek and Irish Creek Road will continue to burn over the next several days.

“Crews and aerial resources will remain on site to patrol containment lines,” BCWS said. “These ignitions have brought the fire down to established control lines in several key areas on the northeast of the fire.”

The risk of the fire further impacting homes and infrastructure in the area has been greatly reduced.

While BC Wildfire Service said on Thursday they hope to have evacuation orders lifted this week, Central Okanagan Emergency Operations said Monday there is still no timeline for evacuees to return home.

The bulk of more than 1,300 properties within the Central Okanagan Regional District have been under evacuation order for a month.

“We understand that residents are anxious to know when they can get back into their communities,” says Corie Griffiths, regional EOC director. “But there is a lot of work that needs to be done across multiple agencies to ensure that these areas are safe before residents return.”

By midweek, evacuees will receive a “return home guide” and be invited to a return-home information session.

The regional district said work outstanding that still needs to be complete before orders lift include assessing all structures for fire-related damage and ensuring residents will have access to telecommunications so they can contact emergency services.

Seventy-eight structures in Estamont, RDCO portions of Beau Park and Killiney Beach have suffered significant damage.

The provincial government is also still assessing the safety of Westside Road, which remains closed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:01 pm 

Just checked "Zoom Earth".
I can watch the fires in real time.
It`s raining but fires are still burning around (Not in) the orchards.
In higher elevations, it`s snowing.

..."Merry Christmas!" :8O

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:31 am 

Quote:

Castanet
Police patrolling the White Rock Lake wildfire zone in the Paxton Valley located a missing man on Saturday.
North Okanagan RCMP say police located an abandoned pickup on Paxton Valley Road about 10:30 a.m. that appeared to have been involved in a collision.
It was high-centred on a fallen tree.

The licence plates were from out of province, and there were no signs of anyone nearby.
Police couldn't locate information to contact the registered owner, but they did find a cellphone in the truck.
Cpl. Tania Finn says the phone showed several missed calls.

The officer on scene was able to make contact with the last caller and spoke with a family member of the vehicle owner, who advised it had been several days since they had contact with the man.

Believing the man’s safety may have been in jeopardy, officers alerted police resources patrolling the area of the man’s name and description.
Police found the man lying in a ditch, several kilometres away, near Falkland.
He was conscious but in need of medical attention.

The man explained that after his truck became stuck he tried to walk out but became lost and disorientated and had wandered for nearly five days in the bush.

Paramedics took the man to hospital.

"It is fortunate this circumstance had a positive outcome; however, Vernon North Okanagan RCMP are reminding everyone to stay clear of the fire zone areas given the unsafe conditions and that landscapes may have been altered due to the fire," says Finn.

Can you imagine being lost in the mountains during a WildFire?

I come across people lost in the mountains "EVERY" year.
They take a back road, then another and another....And...
End up in the mountains disorientated and confused as to which way to go now.
They start out in small towns and decide it might be clever to take a short cut.
Everyone who meets me in that situation...
Is "Friggin Happy" to see me!...LOL!!

....."I`m Saved!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:15 am 

How fast can a Forest Fire move?
Could you outrun a Forest Fire?

You`re about to find out...
To watch the video, Click the Link Below:
https://youtu.be/aNQOH8dWNKI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:11 am 

I hope that sweet puppy is right, dear Sher'f (peace to you, dear friend!). And the poor man: probably hit the fallen tree at night and took a bang to the face/head which exacerbated his being disoriented, then fell into the ditch having not seen it in the dark.

Me? While I LOVE an adventure and have no problem going off the beaten path, I would never do it alone, without my phone (which may or may not have "bars," so may or may not be of help)... and absolutely not in the dark. Would'a stayed in my truck at least until some daylight. My night blindness has greatly advanced so now not only do I not drive after dark (I high-tail it to be home before sundown), but really don't even go out after dark. Cause I either can't see a thing, can't see things clearly... or see things that aren't there (i.e., contrasting shadows on the roadway sometimes look like large cracks or even gaping holes).

Unnerving, so I just don't even try it. Hubby/kids/dogs would have to VERY hurt for me to go out/get out of my car in the dark, now.

So, I am very glad that poor man made it. We all know some don't.

Thanks for sharing and, again, peace to you!

YSFS of Christ,

Shelb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:28 am 

Hey Shelby!
Quote:
And the poor man: probably hit the fallen tree at night and took a bang to the face/head which exacerbated his being disoriented, then fell into the ditch having not seen it in the dark.

It can get "Black" in the bush,you can`t see a thing without some kind of light.
Then there`s the wildlife.
I`ve had Mountain Lions sitting right by the driveway gate.
If you don`t see them and you get out of the truck to open the gate.
You`re done.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:07 pm 

Oh, yeah - Mountain lions. Bears. Paranoid hermits living in the woods.

Three (3) more reasons to keep my hiney in the truck (when in the wilderness)... with the windows rolled up and doors locked... and maybe laying down on the floor... covered with a jacket/blanket or something - LOLOLOL!

Thanks for the reminder and peace to you, dear Sher'f!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:08 pm 

Well...
There`s nothing left to burn where I used to live.
Although 70% of orchard trees did survive.
Which is a miracle to say the least.

Irrigation needs repairing, the orchard electrical needs a lot of replacing.
The bridge to cross over the creek, to get on the property is gone.
So...
While I`m waiting for the orchard infrastructure to be repaired.
I`m staying in the Big City at my Aunts.

No bears, mountain lions, big horn sheep, or pickup trucks with a rifle in the back.
Just a lot of pavement and civilization, no matter where you look.
Not a single cow or horse to be seen, on any ones property.
I may possibly be, on another planet. :8O