xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:14 pm 

But they are empty, or people enter and do not buy. OK many are not affected by the crisis but the majority does. Most shops have shut down though.

There i nothing better than a Sunday to enjoy where nobody works (except restaurants). The city is empty, no traffic, no pollution, fresh air, no noise to wake you up in the morning. Time to rest, to swim, to viit your friends and eat together and discuss 'under the vine and the fig tree'. Why make it just another ordinary day? Aren't there enough other days to work? Regarding the day of the week it would be irrelevant which to be, but since most members here are Christian I suppose that they would choose Sunday (= Lord's Day, in Greek). Or am I wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:24 pm 

Speaking only for myself, dear one (peace!), Sunday is no different than any other day for ME, except that dear hubby doesn't work. I often work, though, as well as NOT work on weekdays (and so often do "Sunday" things). One of the things I appreciated that was SAID (but not DONE) by the WTBTS is that, again, each day is a "sabbath" to God... a day to rest from our OWN works and so His. Unfortunately, their teachings and practices as to things like field service and meetings being God's "work" shows that they entirely miss the point. God's work has absolutely nothing to do with place literature or listening to some dude drone on about "Armageddon." It is doing good to others, releasing and forgiving others, repairing divisions... and proclaiming Christ and the good news as to him and the kingdom HE is establishing. THAT work can be done any time... ANY day... of ANY week.

Even so, since dear Hubby DOESN'T work on Sunday and so I try to give him some face time on that day, I would have to say that there are, in fact, other days that ARE better for ME to do God's work... and enter into HIS rest. Although, I do try to include Sunday... which is why I'm here engaging with YOU, now - LOLOL!

I hope that clarifies, luv, at least as to ME!

Peace to you!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:38 pm 

As Shelby said, every day is a sabbath... a day to do the "works" of God. (things like Shelby mentioned above)

I also work Sundays. Every Sunday actually. I don't like that so much because my family is home on Sundays and I would like to be with them. But my dislike of working Sundays has nothing to do with religion.

I get why people over there in Greece might want everything to be closed on Sunday (except restaurants, which really isn't all that fair to restaurant employees, is it? I mean, if they can work Sundays, then why not everyone else also?), so that all family members can have one day a week where they are all available at the same time to be together. I can see the appeal in that. Again, except for restaurant employees. And I would assume civil servants as well have to work on Sundays. Like hospital employees, police, etc. So there is already a great deal of people who have to work on Sunday in Greece, if you think about it.

I do think you may be mistaken in dismissing the religious roots of this in Greece though... because why else, as you say, would it be a Sunday, if not for religious reasons? It may not be religious for many people NOW, but my guess is that it started out that way, and still is that way for many people. Tradition. Sort of the way Christmas has been adopted by atheists.

Peace to you Anomos!

tammy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:09 pm 

Some civil servants do work indeed. Public transportation functions but you will have to wait too much (anyway not many will use it on Sundays). And so do some other people. Hospitals have to function and one pharmacy has to be open in each city but it is only for emergencies. For example in hospitals there are no planned operations on weekends and there will only be a single doctor on each clinic. Some more will be standby at home.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:45 am 

I think dear tec's point, dear ANOMOS (mornin' and peace to you, both!) is... what, Sunday shouldn't be "sacred" for those folks, too? If your position is correct, then NO ONE in Greece should be working on a Sunday. EVERYTHING should be closed. NO restaurants open, NO bus service, NO hospitals... nothing except emergency services... and even those probably on a "voluntary" basis (like the volunteer fire services over here - those folks don't actually GO to work on the day in question but do immediately respond... from WHENEVER they are... home... work... when the call goes out).

Look, no one is taking issue with your personal preference to have Sundays off. There are folks here who REFUSE to work on EITHER weekend day. Their choice. But to say that NO ONE should work on Sunday... because it's "sacred"... well, I mean, "sacred" to YOU isn't necessarily sacred to others, yes?

Personally, given all of the WORTHY things a person could stand in protest about in this world, that businesses may be open and employers may require employees to work on a SUNDAY... is so far down the list I don't think it can be seen without a magnifying glass. It's just such a non-issue, IMHO.

Government wants to have businesses open on Sundays? Employer wants you to work? You wanna work? Work. You don't... don't. Find other employment where you don't have to. But even here (U.S. and Canada) some folks (must) work on Sunday. Even if they don't really WANT to. They CHOOSE to. And this particular protest seems to ME to be trying to deny folks who might WANT to work on a Sunday, THEIR choice. How is that GOOD?

Peace to you!

Shellamar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm 

Employers don't want to open their shops on Sundays. Only a few that want to monopolize the market (isn't this unconstitutional?) and so manipulate the government do. We will not allow them to ruin other peoples lives.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:00 am 

Quote:
I think dear tec's point, dear ANOMOS (mornin' and peace to you, both!) is... what, Sunday shouldn't be "sacred" for those folks, too?

Yes, thank you. That was my point exactly.

Peace to you,
your sister and servant, and fellow slave of Christ,
tammy