xjwsforChrist

Non-Religious Christian Spirituality
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 pm 

The regime of Greece decided to put an end to Sunday day off and keep people working like slaves.
NEVER!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:36 pm 

Did everything used to be closed on Sunday, then?

Pretty much everything is open 7 days a week here also, at least in the service industry and in any kind of sales. But a regular work week is 44 hours, and if someone works more than that (as long as they are on an hourly wage), then they get paid overtime. Also, if someone works more than 8 hours a day, they also get paid overtime for any hours that are passed the 8 hours. That is the law. There is also a legal cap on how many days in a row you can work, as well as how many hours you can work in a 24 hour period.

Peace,
tammy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:14 pm 

Almost. Except some Chinese immigrants idiots. These bastards never close! And they ruin the market with their ugly shops. They should be kicked out of the country for luck of culture.

Only on tourist areas certain shops were open.

With the new 'law' Athens and many more areas are considered tourist area and everything can be open. Nobody want it except big fish so they can eat the market and create monopoly. Shop owners were not asked and cannot afford to open their shop on Sundays. Beside it doesn't help at all-they wont sell more. The regime tried to open the shops for a couple Sundays a few months ago and it was epic fail. No increase in sales.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:07 pm 

Quote:
Almost. Except some Chinese immigrants idiots. These bastards never close! And they ruin the market with their ugly shops. They should be kicked out of the country for luck of culture.

Now, why would you consider them idiots? Just because they don't close on Sundays? Why should they close on Sunday if they choose to remain open? For someone who is very quick to shout out when his own rights are trampled upon or not respected, are you sure you are not being a bit quick in trampling on theirs? At least in thought and heart?

Also, I am going to go ahead and state that they probably have plenty of culture, it is just different than your own. 'Ugly' according to your culture and tastes, perhaps... but not according to their own, or those who frequent their shops.

Quote:
With the new 'law' Athens and many more areas are considered tourist area and everything can be open. Nobody want it except big fish so they can eat the market and create monopoly. Shop owners were not asked and cannot afford to open their shop on Sundays. Beside it doesn't help at all-they wont sell more. The regime tried to open the shops for a couple Sundays a few months ago and it was epic fail. No increase in sales.

I thought the government was hoping to CREATE jobs, to help combat the huge unemployment rate. So create new jobs for people, not force those already employed to work seven days a week.

But it might not work, as you say. I think you would need more than a few Sundays to test it out... let it catch on... before determining if it was going to work. So they are trying it for a year. But I am not economy expert, and I don't live there, so I don't know how it is. Plus, it is true that if you cannot afford to pay the employees you have, then how can you afford to hire MORE?

Maybe the government should have subsidized those shops to help pay with the higher operating costs, yes?

That would at least ensure the 'survival' of the the smaller family-run shops among the big ones. Then it might just be the stance of the orthodox church that 'fuels the fires', about likening shops being open to a sin.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j ... ay-trading

Peace to you Anomos,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:28 pm 

I'm confused, dear ANOMOS (peace to you!): what's different about Sunday? Why is it different from any OTHER day of the week? I mean, I see where you believe it to be some kind of underhanded greed thing, but sounds to ME like some kind of RELIGIOUS thing ("Oh, no, I ain't workin' on no SUNDAY!!"). Why not? Where folks gotta go on Sunday... 'cept maybe to church? Or... in front of the TV to watch some manner of sports...

Simple math, IMHO: let the people who don't WANT to work on Sunday stay home... and let the people who WANT to work (on Sunday)... because they NEED the MONEY (to feed their families, etc.) work.

Oh, wait: if there are folks who WILL work on Sunday... that might not go so well, in the end, for those who WON'T work on a Sunday, huh? Employer might go, "Well, now, wait... Jimmy John's willing to work for me ANY day... but Billy Bob's saying he won't work on Sunday. Heck, I'm gonna give the job/more hours to the guy who'll WORK for me, not the guy who's trying to dictate how I run MY business!"... huh? Yeah, I can see where that might not go so well for Billy Bob.

Maybe Billy Bob should consider working for himself... so's he can work... or not work... whatever days he WANTS. Oh, wait...

Look, I get it that folks should have a day... or two... or more... off. But that's not necessarily how capitalism works, luv. And while you might not like capitalism, whatever ideology your country's economy USED to run on... well, I mean, how'd that work out for you folks?

A republic may be a good form of government, but a republic without sustainable economics is... well, Greece... today.

I hope that helps!

Peace!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

Shellamar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 pm 

300000 new jobs? That's a joke! With what money will they be payed? Who will hire them? Where are the customers?

Sunday is sacred to me and to all Greeks (it is a day to rest and enjoy life). If some tourists want to change this then they are unwelcome here. We only want tourists that respect our values and culture. Besides shops were already open in hot tourist areas on Sundays (islands, etc) And same applies to those Chinese immigrants that are a fest. Oh yes I am also their customer because they have cheap products from China that I can afford to buy but apart from that their service is s***. I hate it shopping there, but I cannot do otherwise thanks to the capitalist regime that controls the country. Yes there could be not 300000 but 3000000 new jobs if Chinese were kicked out of the country. It seems you misunderstood me. I do not have anything against the Chinese people in general and their culture. But I am against their capitalist economic invasion in our country. I hate it to see everything 'Made in China' because it is ruining our children's future.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 am 

Quote:
Sunday is sacred to me and to all Greeks (it is a day to rest and enjoy life).

Ahhhhh... THIS thread... and particularly your last two posts... explain (for me, at least) a LOT, dear ANOMOS (mornin' and peace to you!). Including why YOU still (need to) cling to the WTBTS. And you do, luv, although you THINK you don't.

Let me help you understand a truth, though, that you seem not to... most probably because of your religious upbringing, religious affiliation, and religious national culture (because Greeks ARE very religious... "Orthodox"... are they not?): EVERY day is a day to rest and enjoy life!

Because EVERY day... is a "sabbath"... a day of REST... for and TO... JAH, dear one!

You may recall it saying, "on the seventh day He rested", yes? That "day," dear one... has not ended. We are STILL to "rest" from OUR works... and do GOD's works... EVERY day. As Christ, the LORD of the Sabbath... COMMANDED us to. HE keeps working... because the FATHER keeps working... and so WE must keep working... EVERY day... as to the works of JAH, the MOST HOLY One of Israel. We are to REST... from our OWN works.

And what works are those that we must "rest" FROM? Well... judging others is one. Which you have done here. Christ said to "STOP judging", yes?

I find it... mmmmmm... curious... that you deem a day designated by MAN to be "sacred," sacredness having to do with the Divine... yet, cannot "see" the "day" designated by God Himself... i.e., EVERY day... to be "sacred." Even more so, actually.

I would exhort you, then, to "check" your "godly devotion." Because your comments... and your traditions... seem to belie it. Turn, please, away from what "you Greeks" consider to be a day of rest... one day out of the week and one designated by "certain men" (of religion) to be "sacred"... and turn TO Christ... and the "day" HE says is sacred and a day of rest: each and EVERY day.

I hope this helps, truly!

Again, peace to you!

Shellamar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:49 pm 

Sunday is 'sacred' to every Greek. Nothing about religion here. Most Greeks are not religious people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:31 am 

Ummmm... the very word "sacred" usually denotes "religion", dear one (peace to you!)... but I'm not religious yet believe some things to be sacred... so... what is Sunday so "special" among Greeks? Please, do tell!

Peace!

Shellamar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:10 pm 

Anomos:

I have to agree with AGuest on this one. The word “sacred” is an adjective which is defined as and such synonyms are:

Consecrated, set apart, dedicated, devoted, sanctified; holy, blessed, blest, hallowed; purified, unspotted, clean; religious, spiritual, heavenly, celestial, ethereal, supernal; devotional, ceremonial, ceremonious; ecclesiastical, churchly, church, priestly, hieratic; Biblical, scriptural; divine, godlike, godly, deiform, deified, sainted; heaven-born; venerable, venerated, exalted, supreme; sacrosanct, sacred-cow, inviolable, inviolate, etc., etc., etc.

So then, why or how exactly is Sunday “sacred”? Why did it become so to Greeks? And Who declared it so such that the Greek people now consider it so?

--Armand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 pm 

Actually, Anomos, if you want to speak "biblical truth" here, the ONLY "sacred" day EVER sanctioned by God was the "Sabbath" day/the seventh day of the week. That corresponds to starting on Friday night at sunset to Saturday night at sunset.

So how did the sacred day change from the Sabbath day, the 7th day of the week, to become the first day of the week. When was this change made? On what authority was this change made? By whom was it made?

--Armand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:16 pm 

Sacred is used metaphorically. It does need to have any religious connotation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:20 pm 

Aaahhh . . . Convenient.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:51 pm 

I'm assuming you mean it does NOT need to, dear ANOMOS (peace to you!), but you must forgive us for assuming that it DID in this case, because your words ("sacred" and "day to rest") gives that impression. My apologies if I misunderstood you. But I would like to ask you, again, why is Sunday so special to YOU, personally? Why that day and not, say, Wednesday? Because your fellow countrymen consider it so? My question is serious; I am curious why it is for YOU.

Peace!

Shellamar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:53 am 

Yes if its not for religious reasons then it would not matter what day the stores were closed. For Jews its Saturday and for Christians its Sunday but if its not a religious day and you just want to rest why not have it on Monday.

Here in Canada stores are open everyday of the week except on legal Holidays such as Christmas, New Years Day, July 1st and Thanksgiving Day. Even Liquor stores are open on Sundays here now. Banks and government offices are not open on Sundays here. I remember back in the 70's when everything was closed on Sundays, it was not that great in my opinion.

I notice you have some very modern trendy British, European and American stores there in Athens. The economy must be not that bad.